• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Windy day: Stay or go?

Wind doesn't keep me off the course, but wind chill does. If the cold is bearable, then by all means throw a round.

Why not hit the practice field and work on throwing in all directions? On the few days we get around here like this, I like to take stable and understable discs (along with the beefcakes) to the field to better understand their strengths and limitations in winds.

I also like to work on my putting. In a tourney in high winds, putting separates the field more than anything else.

I do this quite a bit and it really does pay off. I'm a good golfer, but when it get windy I become a great golfer compared to other who don't know how to paly with the wind.

It's always easy to spot the inexperienced wind golf because they just put OS disc in the bag and say, "better not throw anything understable." Bologna! Throw that understable puppy in a tailwind and watch it sail. Learn how to throw with a cross wind for both hyzer and anhyzer shots and you become a much better player.

Wind has never stopped me from playing, especially when I'm far from home on a road trip. I think it's a lot of fun to play in strong winds, it adds a layer of challenge and can totally change the way a familiar course plays.

i don't play in the rain, other than that i play irregardless of the weather (well snowy and super cold too)

BUT in the weeks leading up to a tourney, i will play through anything, since you never know what tourney day will be like. Rainy, windy, muddy whatever.

Maybe there's a little exaggeration all around. I just did a some looking and the average wind speed in Kansas is around 12-14 mph. There are some places were the average approaches 20mph. This is much higher average than we see in VA but still the likelihood of 40 mph winds is relatively low. (I won't bore folks with the weibull distribution nature of wind speeds.)

Besides people are notoriously bad at estimating wind speed. At 40 mph you start have pretty heavy resistance to just walking around.

As for the OP question, for me much over 20 and I'm not going to bother.

Generally speaking, more wind = more fun. High winds, gusty winds, crazy winds, as long as it's not cold winds.

Though I can't remember sustained 40 MPH winds around here, other than on the fringes of a hurricane. 25 MPH sustained, gusts to 50 or 60, is about the highest I can recall.

How about wind (albeit moderate wind), cold and 6-12 inches of snow on the ground?

2nkktck.jpg

2n19pc6.jpg

2yumxj9.jpg

Maybe there's a little exaggeration all around. I just did a some looking and the average wind speed in Kansas is around 12-14 mph. There are some places were the average approaches 20mph. This is much higher average than we see in VA but still the likelihood of 40 mph winds is relatively low. (I won't bore folks with the weibull distribution nature of wind speeds.)
You could also write a Russian novel on how exactly wind speeds are calculated, and how outliers bump up averages.

Granted, when people talk about a "40 MPH wind day", they're referring to the maximum wind speed, not the average.

Okay - if that's 6-12 inches of snow, I guess Kansas does get 40+ mph winds and everyone throws 600'+

Does look fun though!!

Okay - if that's 6-12 inches of snow.
Well, when you get the kind of wind we do here, it tends to drift. (It has also somewhat melted due to the warm ground). Even with that much snow, there are always bare spots. The one you see in the second pic is on top of a mound. In depressed areas where the snow collects, we had spots 18" deep.

And anyone who was at the Glass Blown Open last year will attest that we're not BS'ing about how crazy the wind gets here in the Spring.

I've been playing in the snow/ice/wind a lot this winter. I'd take wind over ice; it sucks when you can't even plant your lead foot.

And anyone who was at the Glass Blown Open last year will attest that we're not BS'ing about how crazy the wind gets here in the Spring.

Just pulling your chain - It was just kind of funny that the pictures showed maybe 2-4 inches of snow with bare patches when you stated 6-12 in. Right after the comments about the wind estimates being a little inflated.

I believe you all have much worse wind / cold / snow than I deal with - just being picky about the numbers.

Wind has never caused me to not play. Even though I almost quit one day when my putter did the same thing as in that Glass Blown Open video.

Here in SoDak while I was living in Illinois last fall, there was a day where there was average winds of 50mph that at times topped 70mph. The local news affiliate kept posting pics of semis tipped every quarter mile on the interstate. That would be a little too much wind for me and I would definitely stay inside in those conditions.

I'm from Oklahoma. We get the same kind of wind as Kansas. As a matter of fact, last time I saw the numbers (a few years back) Oklahoma city was the second windiest city in the US. I played my home course on a calm day and scored very poorly. Forty MPH is a little steep, though.

We played at the Lodge in 25-35 MPH wind. It was ridiculous!

It has been pretty windy here for 2 months. If it is 25mph or more, no go. Lost a sidewinder the last month after cross wind got under it and took it into wooded creek. I just don't have the patience to play in high winds. I may just practice in the yard that day.

There is a fine line between wind that is good training, and wind that is just too crazy to play. Even for those who say it is never bad enough to not play have been in that situation where it is better to slide a disc on the ground 10ft from the basket instead of "putting" it.

Latest posts