• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter DG Shoes

mbressler13

Bogey Member
So I have realized that my water proof hiking boots just are not cutting it when it comes to traction for the wet and muddy months. I was wondering what you guys wear to help with not slipping and falling on your 2nd and 3rd shots. The boots are fine on the tee pads. But once I am in the grass and mud it is a different story.
Any suggestions would be great.

Sheet metal screws screwed into the soles. It works. Just don't get them too long.:D

I am going to pick up a pair of bean boots for hunting. They should work well enough for winter golf. I had some cheap wolverine hunting boots that worked pretty well until a seam split. My Danner rainforests were nice and dry, but they are my work boots and the sole is pretty worn out. they did not have stellar grip. I have some salomons that are great when it is a bit wet, but they are not warm enough or waterproof enough for rounds in wet snow.

The Bean boots have been around for 100 years and are still made in the USA.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/3117...oots-8&attrValue_0=Tan/Brown&productId=197756

Last edited:
hmm.

i know you were talking about winter in oregon, op, but i'd like to bring attention to our winters here in MN/WI, etc.

i get cold feet easily, any of you guys ever used mukluks? looking to stay warm and maybe actually have fun this year without using PAC boots or something i can barely walk in.

i wear oboz bonedry yellow stones. great boots, the only that i can get more than 2 seasons of wear.

In the summer time I like to use my vans checkerboard slip ons.

In the winter time I like to use my vans checkerboard slip ons.

It's disc golf, the shoe you wear isn't that crucial. Wear what's comfortable.

Kahtoola Microspikes. I found mine on sale for $45 couple years ago. They are also fine to throw form off clean tees pads. Just wouldn't recommend them on flypads or any other foam/rubber tees. They tear the pads up.

MS2013_2063a-543x414.jpg

I've had great luck with Merrell Thermo 6's. Mean grip on the soles, super toasty and the rubber outers keep 'em waterproof even if the Gore-Tex fails.

My Keen Targhee Mid boots have been great for me this year. They were a bit too warm over the summer but very much waterproof and comfortable. I may pick up some GTX Asics running shoes to replace them though.

North Face Storm, just bought mine this year after considering others. They will grip any terrain I have had them on very well. Waterproof, comfortable, give them a look. I can tell you to order at least 1/2 size bigger than normal.

i like the way you think, sir. i wear redwings myself, but always fancied getting some danners. i may have to take the plunge and snag these badboys after i save a bit. i bet i'd stay warm, and since they're "recraftable" they'll never wear out.

http://www.danner.com/super-rain-forest-plain-toe-200g-work-boots.html

I got those same boots but in red/brown. the price seems insane, but mine are 5 years old and still working great. I may shell out to get them resoled next year. The soles are durable, but they are a hard, hard rubber. If it is real slick out, i'd recommend some of the spikes that others have posted in this thread. I just threw down for some sorel caribous. they are ugly, heavy, and clunky, but my feet are dry and warm. I have been wearing them on my bike ride to work in single digit temps and my feet are nice and toasty.