• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter Golf

It is not as hard to keep tees clean down south in Iowa. Plus you all have regular thawing. (I lived there for 12 years!)

Often the snow happens the night before you have to work all day. The thoughtless morons apparently don't have jobs.

yup! "down south" LOL.

I'm a morning person though, so I can get the shoveling done before work. If I'm not already worn out from doing my driveway.

Yikes.

Supposed to be hovering at 0 degrees for our glow round tomorrow night.

Helloooooo, winter!

Let us know how it goes. I'm curious how well the flight lights and flashlights behave in that kind of cold weather!

Towels Mandatory - Introducing DUH

I played my course yesterday (dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6976) and it was the first time I've played in the snow. I had a great time and can see myself out there a lot more this winter. The wood deck tee pads make even more sense in the winter. The biggest setback was not having a towel - snow clings to discs more then anything else I've come across.

This should be related enough that I hope it's not hijacking the thread - some day I would like to try a winter ice rink at the course with a disc golf basket near each end - hockey is a big sport out here in Steamboat. I'm curious to see how others would structure a game that combined disc golf, ultimate and hockey into one sport - DUH?

It could be as simple as 2 teems on skates battling it out by moving a disc across the ice ultimate style and attempt to sink it in the basket...

Played my first snow-round of the fall today - simple one disc round. Still nice to get out!

....snow clings to discs more then anything else I've come across.

Snow clings to warm discs....make sure you leave your discs outside in the car the night before to help prevent this. Although wet snow this time of year, will probably cling no matter what.

played my first snow round today. didnt lose a disc. no ribbons or chalk or any of that cheating stuff

Snow clings to warm discs....make sure you leave your discs outside in the car the night before to help prevent this. Although wet snow this time of year, will probably cling no matter what.

Truth, this trick is what I do before snow tourneys, works great.

Even a warm disc will cool off after a few holes.

You would think so, but it doesn't work that way. I think it's because when you bring a warm disc into the cold it attracts condensation, or this slight dampness that you can never completely get rid of...which then turns to a micro layer of frost. And if you throw it before it's completely cooled and it gets wet, then it's really too late. Trust me, just leave them outside overnight. Snow won't stick to them at all...at least not the lighter fluffy kind.

Anyone throw G-star yet under 35-40 degrees? Does it perform as well as Innova hoped in these conditions?

Anyone throw G-star yet under 35-40 degrees? Does it perform as well as Innova hoped in these conditions?

Been throwing g* in 20-30 degree weather this week. As I expected, it firms up in the hand just a little bit in the cold. I already had a strong preference for it (compared to champ/star-type plastics) during wet rounds, so I expect it to get a lot of action this winter.
As to the flight, my g* discs fly just like they did in 70+ degrees.

I did when it first came out, I only like it in the cold. Is stays soft and grips well with dry hands. since the temperatures have dropped below the forties again, I've put my Gstar leopard and Teebird back in the bag, and I'll be looking to get a firebird and some flx buzzes.

I moved in 4 years ago and still have too many boxes in the garage to fit the car in as well :\

I would park in my garage,

but the d@mn spring has broken....

and the d@mn door won't go up!

Officially gooned!

Whiskey Old Fashions, YUM!

Last edited:
Well, I was going to chime in with my southern, "I'm shivering at 60 degrees" mockery. But ever since you guys were nice enough to share and send part of your Arctic Vortex down here, this thread has become informative and interesting. Thanks, guys.

Latest posts