• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter Golf

You would think so, but it doesn't work that way. I think it's because when you bring a warm disc into the cold it attracts condensation, or this slight dampness that you can never completely get rid of...which then turns to a micro layer of frost. And if you throw it before it's completely cooled and it gets wet, then it's really too late. Trust me, just leave them outside overnight. Snow won't stick to them at all...at least not the lighter fluffy kind.

After 3 holes , I work my discs over with heavy mittens, and they stay clean for the rest of the round.

Maybe Minnesota winter is colder and drier than Massachussetts. Drier for sure.

Look into frockey - it exists, with hockey nets instead of baskets, but it looks pretty awesome.

Frockey looks like the greatest winter sport ever! It just needs bodychecking.

I started discing in April so this is my first winter playing. I've realized my fingers get way to cold so I need to find some gloves that work while throwing.

I also hope to get to try some snow golf but living in Vancouver that's unlikely. If it does snow it will just be gross heavy slush.

Layers, lights, & thermo socks

The cold and snow is not too bad. when wind is calm , weather in the teens is doable . Time change is more of an issue , cause it's dark by the time I get out of work. Found dg addicts that play snow glow not far from my work . There was 17 people playing this weds. And scores from -7 to + 15.. Wasn't too bad and weather was mild for a Colorado in November after sunset. I will play some more snow glow, but will be a little choosie on conditions. there is winter warriors series that's affordable and fun.

I started discing in April so this is my first winter playing. I've realized my fingers get way to cold so I need to find some gloves that work while throwing.

I also hope to get to try some snow golf but living in Vancouver that's unlikely. If it does snow it will just be gross heavy slush.
Just practice taking on and off a pair of ski gloves with a hand warmer in them, and you will be set.
an additional hand warmer in your front pocket for use when your glove is off but you're not ready to throw, is a nice bonus.

Dayglo yellow is the best color for seeing a disc under snow- by far; trying to think of a second best and can't.

The more trampled an area is, the harder it gets to find a disc in the snow, so it's best to approach the area you think your disc is in with caution instead of running all over the place trying to find it.

I use a handwarmer with a mitten on my throwing hand that is easy to remove when I throw bare-handed, and a glove on my non-throwing hand for better dexterity picking discs out of snow and wiping them clean. If you don't clean the disc right away it'll end up with ice frozen on.

no ribbons, no chalk havent lost a disc yet.

ok ive only played one winter round so far but still

Reprieve from winter - 50 balmy degrees. I played 2 rounds to celebrate.

Layer up, and make sure you have a spare pair of shoes and socks for the ride home ;)

Winter Golf at Red Tail DGC

Being in the mountains and near Steamboat Ski area, Red Tail DGC sees a lot of snow. This is the first winter for Red Tail and so far it has been really great. It can be hard work trekking through the snow, but that was one of the goals of the course.

The week started out with ideal deep powder for the skiers but then Tuesday night it rained! wtf? That made for some crazy fun disc golf conditions: http://youtu.be/2q8uNlT8Taw. We quickly learned the technique was to hyzer the disc enough to stab it into the snow preferably right next to the basket - it's a pretty sight. I'll try to post some pictures from our Turkey Burdie tournament this Saturday.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6976

There's nothing like it!

Played a morning Zephyr round at Hawk's Landing, Eden, NY. 4" of virgin powder. Nothing but the footprints of critters. 23° light wind and some flurries. Bliss!

I would probably dress appropriately according to the weather. I would have my rain gear on standby in my bag and an umbrella just in case, because these bags are so spacious, I would take advantage of all that extra room.

Let us know how it goes. I'm curious how well the flight lights and flashlights behave in that kind of cold weather!

Lights work great! We got a great deal on flatlights by buying them in bulk. They also stay on underwater!!!

The cold and snow is not too bad. when wind is calm , weather in the teens is doable . Time change is more of an issue , cause it's dark by the time I get out of work. Found dg addicts that play snow glow not far from my work . There was 17 people playing this weds. And scores from -7 to + 15.. Wasn't too bad and weather was mild for a Colorado in November after sunset. I will play some more snow glow, but will be a little choosie on conditions. there is winter warriors series that's affordable and fun.

That was us! Longs Peak DGC, ftw! Glad you had fun, we've been averaging 15-20 people for our tag matches.

This week we start a points league. Planning on awarding extra points if players finish their rounds during real bad conditions. Try to keep attendance up during the colder rounds.

Our record this year is already at 5 degrees, but last year we finished a round at 7 below zero. Had two Star discs snap in half!

Maybe we'll see you back out!

Latest posts