• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter Golf

Snow in SE Minnesota has been light - no need for ribbons or the like yet.

It's a different game in the snow - harder, but just as much fun once you resign yourself to the fact.

Snow in SE Minnesota has been light - no need for ribbons or the like yet.

It's a different game in the snow - harder, but just as much fun once you resign yourself to the fact.

aint never a need for ribbons. who doesnt like a good hour long man hunt in the freezing cold

Red seems easiest to see against snow IMHO
Pink was working really well also............... except when the invisible twigs snag them off your disc. :p

13823_868612483163609_972243773979119235_n.jpg

I used ribbons once, for about three holes. Hated 'em. I have lost almost nothing by simply watching where I land and being an excellent disc tracker, and I play a TON in the winter.

A couple days ago I sold a glow Leopard to a guy in Fargo, ND. While I was packing the disc for shipment, I checked the National Weather Service forecast for Fargo, it said the high was going to be 4 degrees and the low -14.

Later that day, while headed out to play disc golf, my wife yelled at me to make sure I had suntan lotion on........life in CA, but we have no water............

A couple days ago I sold a glow Leopard to a guy in Fargo, ND. While I was packing the disc for shipment, I checked the National Weather Service forecast for Fargo, it said the high was going to be 4 degrees and the low -14.

Later that day, while headed out to play disc golf, my wife yelled at me to make sure I had suntan lotion on........life in CA, but we have no water............

I live in the mountains of Colorado, I'll need snowshoes if I want to play disc golf into January. Who needs water? Sign me up!

So so much better than ball golf for this reason alone. I lived in Tempe for 4 years and was appalled at the denial of people who lived in a fricking desert but wanted their cushy barefoot greens. Play disc golf in the desert - I can't think of a more beautiful place to play, except maybe the redwoods.

Played in 10 degrees yesterday morning and my hands were saved by my latest and greatest winter disc golf discovery: the Thermotrek electric hand warmer, by Celestron. Much warmer and more effective than those chemical-filled hand warmers you shake. (Yesterday, a friend and I shared one and traded it back and forth every three holes). Claims to provide six hours of warmth in the on position and will hold its charge while off for six months. Charges by plugging into a computer USB port. I paid $15 and found it in the hunting section of the local hardware store.

I'm wearing lots of layers when I go out. I fill my bag with extra clothes that can go on or come off depending on how warm I get. Good socks and a nice pair of gloves or mittens go a long way.

Also how many of you actually put ribbons on your disc for the snow? I've thought about it for years, but so far haven't lost too many discs and am usually able to find them based on how the snow "bubbles up" over the disc.

Ribbons are the way to go. The "Kick the Snow" game sucks big time. You may lose a bit of distance potential, but it's way more fun to spend your time and energy on throwing, as opposed to searching. Especially helpful on courses that actually see winter traffic..as many know, locating discs in deep snow with many footprints can be nearly impossible.

Ribbons are the way to go. The "Kick the Snow" game sucks big time. You may lose a bit of distance potential, but it's way more fun to spend your time and energy on throwing, as opposed to searching. Especially helpful on courses that actually see winter traffic..as many know, locating discs in deep snow with many footprints can be nearly impossible.

This. I've played in snow deep enough that you couldn't walk it without snow shoes. Any player who shows up without ribbons is told that no one will help them search for their discs. Its pretty inconsiderate to the other players really. Trying to get a little competitive edge in distance at the expense of forcing your card to spend loads of useless time searching for your disc.

Its winter. You aren't going to throw that far anyways with loads of layers on, poor footing, heavy boots, etc. Winter layouts should generally be shortened and more focused on technical shots than big D to win

Yeah. Present ribbon works incredibly well. I'm now playing with them daily. At first I was using a long ribbon, but I've shorten them to 1' - 2' when the snow isn't too deep and it looses it curl. Buy yourselves a role of aluminum foil tape - it doesn't take much and it has a real strong adhesion. I haven't tried electrical tape, but it may do well too. alum tape sticks so well that you can move the ribbon to another disc with the same tape a couple times if needed, and because it has a backing, you don't have to carry the whole role with you, just tare off a piece and toss it in your bag

Also how many of you actually put ribbons on your disc for the snow? I've thought about it for years, but so far haven't lost too many discs and am usually able to find them based on how the snow "bubbles up" over the disc.

I think the key here is how deep is the snow? I have ribboned up a handful of discs that I keep in my bag at this point but the snow has been VERY light so far, thankfully. With just 1-2" of snow on the ground the ribbons weren't a big deal and finding discs wasn't a problem. Give us a few more weeks and a few more inches of snow and it'll be a whole new ballgame and I won't dare toss a disc without a ribbon.

This is especially important as the course we play winter dubs on is pretty much the only course that gets significant play in the winter - so it'll be good and tracked up all through the woods. Perfect course for it though - shorter very technical course with lots of trees for wind break.

Just a friendly reminder - beware tossing your beloved plastic. Got to see my first cracked disc last weekend and I was surprised how it happened. It wasn't THAT cold, ~34* and wasn't a hard throw as it was only a 180' hole, but a cardmate hit first tree with his KC pro aviar and cracked the rim pretty good. Needless to say he wasn't too happy....and had no putter the remainder of the round.

Just a friendly reminder - beware tossing your beloved plastic. Got to see my first cracked disc last weekend and I was surprised how it happened. It wasn't THAT cold, ~34* and wasn't a hard throw as it was only a 180' hole, but a cardmate hit first tree with his KC pro aviar and cracked the rim pretty good. Needless to say he wasn't too happy....and had no putter the remainder of the round.

Great point - I've noticed a lot more dings and scratches in my discs since playing in cold and snow, where a hard putt into the chains will leave a good mark on any disc, not to mention hitting the basket or top ring. Ouch. Won't be long we'll be seeing the full range of discs in winter plastic.

Latest posts