• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter Play

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So how many of you guys brave the snow to get a round in? I was driving past a local course the other day.. probably around 10-15F with wind chill, blizzard, maybe 4-6" on the ground and I saw 2 guys bundled up and playing the course.

I really don't go out much in the winter since I'm not a fan of the snow/cold and I'd imagine it would be tough to find an errant shot with snow on the ground.

I guess this post has no real point, just an observation of two dedicated players :)

play in snow

used to be a time when it didnt matter what the conditions were......nowadays...:eek:
my disc playing buddies and i have turned into disc golf bears that hibernate during the winter. i still see some hardy souls out there playing once in a while, but they are younger and......

I hear about people still playing during the winter. I've heard that some people bring shovels to clear off the tee boxes after a large snowfall, and they aren't from the parks department either. Plus there are at least two course that are around here that have sledding hills, that double as disc golf holes, so there would be the need to skip those while playing.

Here in Buffalo there is an annual tournament called the "Ice Bowl."

I'd imagine that it would be very difficult to play during the winter. The wind seems worse, and now you'll have trouble finding your disc even if it lands on the fairway, because the snow could be around a foot thick; forget about out of bounds...although if lakes are frozen over, that could be helpful.

I myself am a fair weather player, and don't see myself getting back out there until March or April. Or perhaps vacationing down south and bringing my discs with me.

Being in Georgia, playing in the Winter doesn't realy give me a problem. Acording to the Weather Channel at 3:00 PM it was 79', with a visibility of 10 miles. However, last year I played when it was so cold that six holes in I began to lose feeling in my index finger, and shortly after had to stop playing. That was the last time I played in extreme conditions.

Here in Buffalo there is an annual tournament called the "Ice Bowl."

They do that here in Georgia too. (exept without the ice and snow)

Last edited:
southern climate

It's about 80 here today. You can play almost year round in the deep south. My brother and brother-in-law will be here for Christmas and we plan to play. I don't usually play in extreme weather. I did play ball golf one time when the greens were frozen and we were the only ones there. We have the opposite problem here of extreme heat in the summer. I have played all day in heat of 100 or more with high humidity.

extreme conditions

you know thats funny, when you dont live in harsh conditions its more of an adventure...i visited vegas and played in 106 or 108 degree heat and it was sort of fun, no one was on the course and the beer went down fast! the bad part was, i was finished pretty early later that nite missing out on lots of other fun stuff happening in vegas.

I first started playing in the winter at Schenley park the middle of Pittsburgh. The course begins and ends at an outdoor ice skating rink, so holiday music coming from the rink can be heard during a round. I played it again just last weekend and had a great time; temp was in the 30s and patches of snow were on the ground. Concrete tees help a lot in those conditions.

I have played 6 rounds in a day in extreme summer heat. You must drink a lot when you do this. It is never too hot to play.

During my Allentown/Philly road trip it was 90+ every day and humid. We went through a LOT of water. I tend not to play in that kind of weather at home but on a dg road trip, what choice do you have? :)

Here in Central VA the winters vary a bit, so I never ever completely stop playing. Basically, if it's going to be around or above freezing, and not too windy or rainy, then I'm up for throwing a round. But I often have the course to myself during January, February, and March around here. I did play a cold round at Loriella in Fredericksburg one time where I skipped a shot off the frozen pond on hole 11 and thus across to the far bank.

I really enjoy playing in the winter. I find that I slow things down more and actually play a lot better in the snow then I do in the summer. Here in Madison, WI we have one course in the ground and still hold our weekly Saturday Random Draw doubles league. We average about 12 people a week. we also shovel off the teepads and sometime play were the loser of the previous hole shovels the next teepad.

I've lost more discs in the summer then I have in the winter. as long as people follow winter disc golf etiquette it can be a lot of fun.
Rules to live by for winter golf.
Follow in each others footprints, leaving as much snow undisturbed as possible, this makes finding discs much easier.
Have multiple people watching each throw
DONT THROW WHITE DISCS

you can also do what some people do
use snapline chalk on you disc before throws. this will leave a colored slit in the snow where your disc lands

Rules to live by for winter golf.
Follow in each others footprints, leaving as much snow undisturbed as possible, this makes finding discs much easier.Have multiple people watching each throw
DONT THROW WHITE DISCS

great advice. i used to play in the snow quite a bit and this is the first bit of advice i would give anyone thinking about going out for a round in the snow.
you have to have a bit of a "tracker" mindset, looking for the disc entry point into the snow and with people stomping around kicking snow here and there it really makes it difficult.

last person on the tee having to be the fairway spotter is also effective since that person has to do the extra walking.

i haven't worn a pair of long pants in almost 2 years though so my snow skills are rusty but i am pretty good now at spotting discs in the jungle canopy or tops of palm trees.

We had 13 players make it out this morning for League temp was around 15.

-10 won it.
-9 second.
-8's played off

So the order of crap on the teepads goes something like this
1. Ice about 1" to 1.5" thick
2. Packed snow another 2" to 3"
3. Powdered snow anywhere from 2" to 5"

Yet we still have a good time and some pretty good scores. so quit your whinning and get out there and play some disc golf

We have about 5' of snow on the ground here in Northern Vermont. I still try to get out once in a week. My bro johnny from Black Falls showed me how to never loose a disc in the snow.

take some curling ribbon and cut a 3-4' piece

Take some duct tape a 2" by 2" piece and put a small hole in the middle of tape

Insert the curling ribbon into the hole and stick it to the back of the tape

Take the tape and put it in the middle of the disc on the bottom.

It will not affect the flight of the disc that much at all and you will never loose a disc! It will make the disc about 5 grams heavier. The curling ribbon is so strong that you can pull your disc right out of the snow! You may have to replace the tape once in a while but that is it.

Playing in the winter is a great thing to do! When spring comes you will be in shape and kick all your buddies a!@#es.

Last edited:
It is actually a lot of fun. I think it really helps with technique as well. You need to slow everything down when you are on slippery ground. I always find that come spring time I've added another 20 - 30 ft to my drives

Andy,

That is a pretty good idea. It may actually inspire me to get out there in the snow a bit. Right now a lot of it is melting away in NY. If this keeps up I may be able to play without dealing with the white stuff at all.

i was thinking about having an ice bowl event here but it would have to be symbolic as it is christmas eve now and the temp is about 90F.

maybe i can fill a bowl with ice water and splash it on people as they throw?
that might not work with thais though, they will just think songkran has come 4 months early.

Throw some crushed ice around the baskets and make people use green discs so they're tougher to find :)

Latest posts