• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter...

3 degrees. Going out to play ! Hopefully my boys can hang for 36.
Gear... Th insulated pants, wool socks, sealskin waterproof socks, north face storm shoes, long sleeve tee, turtle neck poly shirt, hoodie, ice armor flap hat, neck warmer, ice armor mitts, and sunglasses. Fade lite for a bag. Hand warmers in mitts, barehanded throwing.

I run a winter "Snow Glow" league here in Colorado. It's honestly some of my favorite rounds of the year! Crazy skips and beautiful conditions!

Pro tip: When the beer starts freezing, switch to hot chocolate and Fireball.:clap:

3 degrees. Going out to play ! Hopefully my boys can hang for 36.
Gear... Th insulated pants, wool socks, sealskin waterproof socks, north face storm shoes, long sleeve tee, turtle neck poly shirt, hoodie, ice armor flap hat, neck warmer, ice armor mitts, and sunglasses. Fade lite for a bag. Hand warmers in mitts, barehanded throwing.

2 meanings for boys. Both are appropriate :thmbup:

I run a winter "Snow Glow" league here in Colorado. It's honestly some of my favorite rounds of the year! Crazy skips and beautiful conditions!

Pro tip: When the beer starts freezing, switch to hot chocolate and Fireball.:clap:

We switch over to hot chocolate, peppermint schnapps and Tito's vodka after the round. Might have to give the Fireball a shot though.

I agree about fireball! Yuck. And the worst hangovers.

Booze may make you colder, but as long as your properly dressed you'll be fine. Its more about getting out of your head so you don't feel so cold.

Propylene glycol is used in antifreeze. Don't drink antifreeze or Fireball. Alcohol will lower your core temperature. So if you are in a truly cold environment, alcohol is detrimental.
Alcohol decreases core temp in EXTREME cold conditions by dilating blood vessels and increasing blood flow(and therefore heat transfer) to the extremities where heat is more easily lost due to high surface area.
BUT... if you are not in conditions that put you at risk for hypothermia, yet your extremities(fingers) are uncomfortably cold, alcohol could help maintain bloodflow and heat to those areas.

DISCLAIMER: I do not endorse drinking and driving... putting is ok though

Silly me, i was thinking axiom Fireball...

Rarely happens where im at, but i love making fresh tracks in snow. Walking down a beautifully blanketed fairway and then turning around to see your tracks makes me happy to no end.

More often it ices over rather than snow. Also super fun, but saw a friend eat it once on a jump putt on ice.

I try to play every week no matter what but the last few weeks have been hurricane winds. Not too happy.

Winter = stock up on ridiculous number of discs you dont need and then dye them cause your bored...now broke

Strange... Discs should fly more overstable in the cold. Mine do, anyways.

-14° and snowing right now, just got done playing a coupla rounds at Hansen. Cold, schmold.

Im using to throwing really hard and really fast, maybe im grip locking cause i cant x-step. (I do a walking x-step)

Im using to throwing really hard and really fast, maybe im grip locking cause i cant x-step. (I do a walking x-step)

Going to mostly standstill in the winter will help your form more than anything. I committed to it last winter, and when spring rolled around, I discovered I was throwing 50-60' further than I had been in the fall.

Think of it as an opportunity.

Don't forget to strap on these gnarly traction devices

kahtoola_microspikes.jpg

Those seem a tad extreme to me, but I guess it depends on the conditions you are playing in. Personally I have found the Yaktrax Pro work great for Disc Golf in the winter.

pro-bottom-right-large.jpg

Easy on, easy off and lightweight. Usually just strap them to my Grip bag in the winter and if my footing is bad I can just strap them on. Just another option for good winter traction. :thmbup:

Played last night in 10-degrees, 5 inches of snow, and pretty strong winds. It was dark, did not want to spend all the time looking for discs under the snow. So we took SuperClass discs only (a Zephyr for me, a Te-Moko for my friend). Had a great time, actually got over-warm at one point. But the long walk back to the car over the dam cured me of that!

yeah, the Yaktrax even allow for a bit of rotation. I'm not trying to climb an icefall, just trying to not break my ass.
I'm also a huge fan of my O/R gaiters, worry-free snow traipsing is the best.

My winter recipe for success:
decent, warm boots & wool socks
gaiters
good pants with a tight weave to keep the wind out (think Carharts, Dickies, etc.)
-add long johns or ski/board pants if really cold
I get the least restriction in upper body movement and the most comfort when I wear
cotton t-shirt | underarmor type shirt | technical hoodie | vest.
I usually skip the coat unless it is close to zero or lower. If the wind is up at all (5mph or more) I have a thin and light wind jacket for the outer layer.

can't forget the Fireball and/or Irished-up coffee, gotta keep up the morale :)

yeah, the Yaktrax even allow for a bit of rotation. I'm not trying to climb an icefall, just trying to not break my ass.
I'm also a huge fan of my O/R gaiters, worry-free snow traipsing is the best.

I'm just REALLY GOOD at falling down. :doh:

The ones I have are a bit different than the pic I posted....... only 2 spikes in the heel area so the rotation still is possible.

Waiting for a comment on whether spikes or any other type of grips are bad for any tee surfaces. Scratching up concrete tees for instance. I have heard salt is bad for concrete tees but I'm not even sure why.

Latest posts