• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter

somerbuch

Par Member
Winters almost here which means super cold and a lot of snow up here in michigan, so i've been wondering how does the cold affect your discs? Should i put away my champ and star discs and just use dx or what? I'm relatively new to dg and havent played in the winter yet so i'm just wondering.

If it gets really cold, put the DX plastic away. It is harder and can crack/break if you nail a tree when it's too cold.

Use bright colored discs and tape 4-5' of ribbon onto the bottom of your discs when playing in the snow so if the disc gets burried, all you have to do is locate the ribbon to find your disc.

There are lots of other tips, you can find many more in the forums in other threads.

Typically you're discs will become stiffer. As far as stability, I'm not sure how the colder temperature affects that. Also the colder ground/ice will give you massive skips. If anything I would guess the stiffer your disc is, the more overstable it becomes, bu that's speculation on my part.

Ahh ok thanks for the info guys. I just wasnt sure if its bad to use my champ and star discs in risk of ruining them for when i really need them once the season starts back up in the spring.

well, winter here in Mt. town Idaho means NO DISCS! with 6-8 ft of snow, its a little hard to play disc golf. Especially when the baskets are buried. So thank your higher power that you can actually play during the winter. by the way, there is just over 1 ft of snow here. It all came in the last 2 days, so i got my final round in on Monday. At least the snowboarding season is approaching!

Well now i feel a little bit better, i just hope our winter is somewhat poor and there will be little snow, i used to wait for snow for snomobiling but now im praying for no snow whatsoever, im not coming to mt town idaho this winter thats for sure tho lol. Come to michigan and play a good winter round.

I'll meet ya at Flip City and I'll bring all my Champ, ESP and Star plastic!!!

Ahh I can dream anyway...can't wait to hit Flip City sometime:(:)

Love winter golf! Haven't had much problems with my DX as others have mentioned. Then again I never hit any trees when I throw...not.

Here in E. Washington we got our first snow, and the temps have been well butt ass cold to be accurate. I have found my Star plastic to get a stiffer slicker feel. My Dx are a lil stiffer then normal as well as Champ. My FLX discs seem to show no effect and my Warlock SS is feeling great.

Yeah i'll most likey put away my dx for the winter because the course i play at is heavily wooded and its hard not to hit a tree at least once.

I've snapped DX discs in the middle of the summer, so I'm really careful about them during winter. I've never had a crack in a star or champ disc though.

Latest posts