• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wisconsin Disc Golf

shoe59

Eagle Member
Hey all,

I have a free weekend and I want to get out of town and play a couple courses in Wisconsin. I'm coming from Green Bay and willing to travel 2-3 hours. I'm looking for some suggestions of which area(s) to visit.

Do you have one or possibly two courses in your area that are open and in playable condition right now?

Thanks for your suggestions,

Andy

p.s. My brother is coming along too, we could arrange a meet up if anyone is interested.

Thanks thrasher, any other courses open nearby? Brown Deer is closed I'm guessing...? Valley View, Sussex?

keep the suggestions coming.

Dineen Park is a good 'grip and rip' course, but is in a shady area of town. As TT said, the Winter 24 at Dretzka is fun, but if you don't pay attention to where you are going, you might get lost. Abendschein Park is a fun course, it's short so you could probably burn through 2 rounds quickly. Valley View is also a short course, watch out for sledders!

EDIT: Yeah, Brown Deer is closed until May-ish! :mad:

Thanks thrasher, any other courses open nearby? Brown Deer is closed I'm guessing...? Valley View, Sussex?

keep the suggestions coming.

Valley View is open Brown Deer I believe is closed & My home course Sussex is closed until may. So down here those are the only ones open... wait, Dineen Park is open as well.

LTC Cleveland is in year-round, and if you're taking 43S outta Geebs it's Exit #137, about 11 miles south of Manitowoc. It's on the main road off the exit and is easy-peasy-one-two-threesy to find. Jaycee Quarry in Sheboygan is another one I know that's in the ground. Further south, I'm not too sure, but I'm sure you'll hear from a few more WI members before your voyage.

Dineen Park is a good 'grip and rip' course, but is in a shady area of town. As TT said, the Winter 24 at Dretzka is fun, but if you don't pay attention to where you are going, you might get lost. Abendschein Park is a fun course, it's short so you could probably burn through 2 rounds quickly. Valley View is also a short course, watch out for sledders!

EDIT: Yeah, Brown Deer is closed until May-ish! :mad:

All these mentioned are great winter courses. Dretzka is my favorite of them. Also, the rubber tees they threw out are in pretty good condition. I really enjoy playing Valley View as its easy and fun and not too difficult in the snow since the tees are kept clear. Dineen is fun too but i was just there the other day and none of the tee pads are cleaned off. With the snow melting and freezing overnight recently this has created pretty slippery conditions not really allowing for a run-up. If you don't mind throwing from standstill then its still a lot of fun.

Hope this helped!

the best two right now are the Dretzka 24 and Valley view, dretzka with the rubber mats and valley view with concrete pads, both of which are usually kept clear by locals. Abendschein has no pads, and is hit or miss on a daily basis, some days frozen and deadly, some days perfect, some days sloppy, and soon to be all mud. Also, most of the time the woody holes are way slipperier than the open holes, and i'd bet that any day now hole 16's tee area will be submerged. Same with Mil. Co. sports complex. I'm down to meet up this weekend, my guess is that valley view will have the best conditions. better for me sat afternoon or sunday even better, because friday night I am sleeping in an ice shanty.

I'd recommend hitting silver creek on the way to milwaukee, maybe stop in sheboygan but I do not know what is open there. Maybe come play Dretzka although it may be close to getting pulled if it melts much more and gets messier around the tees. You always have Valley View and UW parkside along with Abendschein and Milw. SPorts complex. I am hoping to be out playing all day saturday perhaps 3-4 courses. Let me know if you want a guiude to any of those courses.

Alright thanks Harr, I may just need a guide. Dretzka is sounding pretty good right now, it's my #1 candidate especially since everyone is saying there are some other courses open in the area too. I've played their normal 27 never the winter course though. Silver Creek crossed my mind as well, we were just there for the tourney though!

Anyone from central/western/northern WI? Good weekend trip ideas?

You could always go west instead of south and hit up the Stevens Point Area, all the way out to Big Eau Pleine. South seems the way to go, however, with a much higher concentration of courses that are actually in the ground (I really have no idea about the Point courses).

Message me if you head south and decide to stop in Cleveland. I haven't been out since November; been busy with the baby and our recent move, but this itch needs scratchin' like Washington D.C. needs integrity!

Alright gonzo that's a possibility, I'll shoot you a pm if I decide to stop there.

Just for a frame of reference this was written ont he PDGA today by the guy who does all of the work at Dretzka. Personally I have avoided Dretzka since the heavy heavy snow came and I went to Valley View because of concrete teepads (I didnt mind shovelling 3-4 times them so I had good pads all of February). Obviously he is concerned about the course and the care it has received by the local guys. Sure they cleared the teepads but apparently around the rubber mats have gotten beaten up and muddy and he is concerned that type of wear will lead to the county getting upset at the course damage.

Mark Peterson
"I played Dretzka yesterday and around the tees is extremely muddy. If you play out there you must keep moving the tees around. I moved a bunch of them yesterday. I don't care if they get moved 30 feet forward or 20 left or 80 feet back. When the area that it is in gets torn up , just move the mat to a new place. This will help keep it open longer. If I go out there and see the the mats in a mud hole, I will pull the baskets.I don't get out much at all so I other people need to help out. It's our park, I shouldn't be the only one who cares if it gets destroyed. That being said the 15 holes on the ball golf course should close soon. Maybe this weekend. Also if YOU BRING GLASS ONTO THE COURSE, PLEASE TAKE IT OFF THE COURSE OR THROW IT DIRECTLY INTO THE DUMPSTER BY HOLE # 7. I see alot of league players with glass out there. It's alot easier to carry an empty bottle than a full one and I know people can carry a full one 12 miles and won't carry an empty one 12 feet. The people who work at the park are awesome but it is very hard to empty a garbage can with 100 bottles in it that wheighs 150 pounds. Thanks "

Are the Madison courses open? The combination of Elver, Heistand and Vallarta-Ast makes for an amazing destination.

Reading that Dretzka Winter 24 may be pulled this weekend makes me stoked that I got to play it for the 1st time Tuesday and the 2nd time late in the PM today. A perfect winter course!

Vallarta Ast (to allow for good conditioning when open) and elver (sledding)are closed all winter, but I believe hiestnad is always open.

P.S. I see you were unable to raise your rating from a 1 after going back to play it.

It is much better conditioning in the dead of winter, and I do see some of the points you raised, but IMO, it is better than any other course around here in winter, so I evaluate it on that fact.

I have played the madison courses and they are awesome... like harr said though all but heistand are closed. Don't know if it's worth the trip for just that course alone.

Keep the good ideas coming. I'm skeptical about hitting milwaukee now that the Dretzka 24 might get pulled this weekend? Please keep me posted if anyone has details about that.

P.S. I see you were unable to raise your rating from a 1 after going back to play it.

talking about Dretzka Winter 24 here: Yup - the holes I missed (13-17) added what I consider 2 good golf holes and a bunch of very nice scenery (I LOVE the white birches that line the left side of 13!) and seclusion. But that did not add enough to bump my ranking/score for the course up much. I corrected a few errors in my original write up, but that's all I could do.

It is much better conditioning in the dead of winter, and I do see some of the points you raised, but IMO, it is better than any other course around here in winter, so I evaluate it on that fact.

You evaluating based on surrounding courses (in winter) is in harmony with the way you explain your rating method. I have no problem with that (for you). For me, it seems like if I rate courses on a set of criteria that changes depending on circumstances, I come up with a ratings list that is inconsistent across a wide geography and therefore meaningless. To me numbers are important (and fun), but I understand completely that to others they have less meaning.....and verbal write-ups have the most meaning and fun and value.

PS: My first time through on Tuesday I must have been so focused on evaluating the fairway of 17 after playing 12 and spotting the tee for 17 that I did not even turn my head from looking up the fairway of 17 and I completely missed the tee 13 or basket 17 right in plain site. Strange......

Last edited:

Latest posts