• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizard History

I love that Wizards are the only discs that I hope for all the gouges and nicks. I always feel terrible throwing a new one and getting them, as it always hurts to see it. I hate the initial wear and tear they have to go through, but love their stability for years after that period :D

are the circle tool engraved ss or mediums worth anything?

maybe a buck or two more but unless it is really old/proto i think normal price.

how do you tell if one is a patent pending SS? if i have one i'll trade it for the red medium.

I've only got one unique Wizard, and one with a special stamp (not really that special)
IMAG0413.jpg

My Glow Wizard that's stamped as an Evo-HPP Warlock
IMAG0416.jpg

AFAIK, there's no real "collector scene" for Wizards, so you'll just have to collect whatever you want. If it were me, I'd go for plastics that aren't in production anymore. I'm far from a Wizard history expert, but I'm pretty sure there was a retool after the protos to thicken the flight plate (they warped pretty easy, IIRC) so a proto is probably a good thing to have.

The Chief, while not horrible great or collectible (aka expensive or desirable) is probably worth adding. It's just a Wizard in H plastic. They're cool because the colors are really vivid and neat, the plastic has this cool, rubbery feel and they're super domey. I found they made great approach discs (easy to turn but had a hard fade) but weren't all that great for much else.

Finding an actual "Firm" Wizard might be cool, too. I don't think they mark them that way anymore.

If you want to be silly, there's this run of really slick, firm ones (marked medium) from a few years ago that were considered by many to be one of the worst runs. It's the only Wizard I've had actual trouble putting with because of slickness. The two I had were light blue. The funny thing is they beat in really nice but most never gave them the chance to do that because of how slick they were.

Thanks garublador! Good stuff. This is actually a relief that is won't be an expensive hobby.

There had to be a retool after the protos, I have like 8 protos and they don't fly anything like any other wizard I have.

Good collectibles for wizards would be:

red proto arch stamp (no tooling)
a non-red proto arch stamp (no tooling)
G9i wizard
real firm wizard ( I have one and it is seriously the hardest disc I have ever felt)
first run of SS wizards (these things are so weird, I have a couple and they don't really chunk or gouge, they just deform slowly and create the largest clovers ever. They feel very slick and rubbery)
first run of SSS wizards from the Southern Nats Tour
Flying G wizard
and I've got a couple of other wizards that have stamps Gateway was messing with using as their stock stamp that I'll take some pics of tonight.

I had one of those G9i. At least that's what it was marked. It was like super rigid and slick. Kind of like evolution proline but firmer.

I think I'll just cut and paste your list Frank Delicious and post it in the marketplace:)

Last edited:
maybe a buck or two more but unless it is really old/proto i think normal price.

how do you tell if one is a patent pending SS? if i have one i'll trade it for the red medium.

No patent number on the back and circle tooling also
let me know

I have a couple of red proto wizards with no tooling and those things are sweet putters.

first run of SS wizards (these things are so weird, I have a couple and they don't really chunk or gouge, they just deform slowly and create the largest clovers ever. They feel very slick and rubbery)
How are those marked? I have a green one marked "proto" on the back but it's kind of slick and rubbery like you described. It doesn't say "soft" anywhere on it.

How do you tell if it's a G9i Wizard? I have a buddy who's sponsored by them, and collects a run that's very firm (sort of S feeling) but is super grippy, almost feels like there's a layer of linoleum over the plastic. Any idea what run those are? They're all sort of a muted baby-blue that I've seen.

They feel like the Protos my buddy throws.

How are those marked? I have a green one marked "proto" on the back but it's kind of slick and rubbery like you described. It doesn't say "soft" anywhere on it.

Mine has no tooling and just SS and the weight on the back. Small wizard stamp on the front. Slick, rubbery and clovered pretty good.

Last edited:
I'm interested in this as well. I have several old ones and think they may be some of the sought after runs. But I really have not clue about them at all. All I know is one of them is harder then any disc I have ever felt.

Latest posts