• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Working on speed control

vdWcontact

Hi all, long time no posts.

I recently got back into disc golf and wanted to learn the mythical hyzerflip. I found a beat up DX valkyrie in the used section and thought "I have to be able to flip this disc."

The good news is I can totally flip this disk. It's likely the flippiest disc in the world today. Most of my turn overs/hyzer flips with it turn into cut rollers though.

Am I correct in thinking that the amount of turn I get on this disc is 99-100% based on the velocity of the disc as it leaves my hand? Like the issue of turn and burns is all about just putting too much power into a flippy disc right? Am I really working on power control at this point?

There is also the obvious issue of having a consistent release angle, I'm just trying to make sure I capture all the factors that separate the hyzerflips from the cut rollers.

In very simple terms...

Throw shots hard on hyzer angle. The ones that flip to flat and go straight are hyzer flips.

If it flips past flat and turns, then it really isn't a hyzer flip. Certain discs are better at it than others. For instance, if I throw a Buzz on hyzer, it tends to hold the angle. If I throw a Roc on the same angle, it will hyzer flip for me and give me this beautiful straight flight with a gentle fade at the end.

Am I correct in thinking that the amount of turn I get on this disc is 99-100% based on the velocity of the disc as it leaves my hand? Like the issue of turn and burns is all about just putting too much power into a flippy disc right? Am I really working on power control at this point?

No. Exit velocity is one factor of many. Release angle, off-axis torque, elevation, and wind are all variables that will impact how much your disc turns.

A good way of neutralizing variables is to practice throwing neutral putters dead straight. Learn what your body mechanics feel like to get that flight. Then throw your DX Valk the same way and see what it does. Is it still burning into a cut roller? If so, then I'd agree that the disc's high speed stability has been degraded to the point that it can't handle the velocity of a full drive. DX plastic will do that after a while.

I mean you could practice throwing slower with more spin and maximizing distance without it rolling, or work on throwing it nose up to slow the flip down. But in the end, most likely you have too high of a release velocity for a beat up dx Valkyrie to go straight at full power. Dial the speed back or get a different disc to practice hyzer flips with. The discs that taught me hyzer flips best was beat up putters (pna Aviar, JK Aviar, Yeti Aviar) and catch frisbees (Super Hero). But really any neutral to understable mid or putter will be good learn the hyzer release angle while an understable driver will help you learn the hyzer release angle and nose angle control for a hyzerflip.

Easier way to learn to throw hyzer angles is to focus on having an athletic stance. Weight on your tees, knees bent, and leaned forward. You have no choice but to throw hyzer. Kevin Jones is the most pronounced example of this.

Find the discs that fly straight when you do this. It might be a beat up, but stable putter or mid. It might be an understable fairway. If you are Kevin Jones, it might be a D2.

Hi all, long time no posts.

I recently got back into disc golf and wanted to learn the mythical hyzerflip. I found a beat up DX valkyrie in the used section and thought "I have to be able to flip this disc."

The good news is I can totally flip this disk. It's likely the flippiest disc in the world today. Most of my turn overs/hyzer flips with it turn into cut rollers though.

There is also the obvious issue of having a consistent release angle, I'm just trying to make sure I capture all the factors that separate the hyzerflips from the cut rollers.

How far are you max distance drives roughly (NOT with the DX Valk)?

I won't get into the details of form and all that, but if you think you'll like the Valk I'll suggest a new DX. Feel it's flight initially, watch it break in, see what you may or may not being doing wrong.

Hell, pay for shipping and I'll send you a 9/10 (storage wear) DX Valk right now!

DX Valkyrie, particularly if it's light weight is pretty flippy IMO. I like them for FH flick.

Latest posts