• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Working out and general fitness

By itself, disc golf isn't that great of a workout for me. But being in decent shape, and eating right definitely makes my game better. I don't notice the difference playing a casual round once in a while. I notice it when I play multiple rounds in a day, or when I play a 2 day weekend tournament. It could make the difference between missing or hitting those 35 foot putts in the 4th round when you need the putt to stay ahead or to break a personal best.

I don't "work out" ... I do throw 3-600 discs about 4 times a week. I also have a grip strength training tool or two, and I stretch. It would help me to start running, but I really don't like to.

Tell us about the three disc throw day

Biking to work and back gets me about 100 miles a week. Keeps the fat off and helps with stamina and endurance during long tourney rounds.

What happened to frances sawyer? I was waiting for some more enlightenment.

I swim 2miles (1mile crawl, 1 mile breast) 3 or 4 times a week. And I find 18 holes of disc golf to wear my middle aged body out more -- judging from aches and pains and soreness that night or next morning.

Maybe, but 18 holes of disc burns maybe 1/100th of the calories you burn swimming 2 miles. I can't even do a full 500 breaststroke. That's incredible, seriously.

I swim 2miles (1mile crawl, 1 mile breast) 3 or 4 times a week. And I find 18 holes of disc golf to wear my middle aged body out more -- judging from aches and pains and soreness that night or next morning.

I'm super jelly. I miss being a pool rat like that.

Disc golf is definitely harder on the joints. Al the twisting and weight shift and all that good stuff isn't easy on my body that has seen more than my fair share of injuries over the years. I need to get back to doing more bike riding to keep my leg muscles strong so they can help absorb some the extra stress from throwing hard.

I'm super jelly. I miss being a pool rat like that.

About 1.5years ago we splurged and got one of those treadmill pools which makes it easy to commit to swimming as we could quit the gym, not have to drive to a pool any longer or share lanes with people. So I can bang out my daily swim pretty much anytime I want (except when DW is doing hers). I do feel lucky though.

I've reached the age and fragility where it's hard to summon up enough working parts to work out with. Sometimes I'm searching the internet for an exercise program for the left eyelid, being the only moving part that's moving correctly.

If I could stay healthy long enough to get healthy, I'd focus on flexibility first---to cut down on the injuries---cardio next, for the hilly courses, and then strength to mainly strengthen the vulnerable joints.

About 1.5years ago we splurged and got one of those treadmill pools which makes it easy to commit to swimming as we could quit the gym, not have to drive to a pool any longer or share lanes with people. So I can bang out my daily swim pretty much anytime I want (except when DW is doing hers). I do feel lucky though.

Indoor or no winters?

Well, this thread encouraged me to hit the gym tonight. After some lightweight kettle bell juggling, my back feels better than it has in weeks.

In the past I have been both a gym rat and a dojo rat, but neither made me feel in shape. I have found doing dynamic exercises that incorporate strength, flexibility and cardio all at the same time, to be the best. Plus I am finished in 20 minutes.

Anytime anyone says "I try to _____" while talking about working out what they really mean is "I don't".

Disc Golf alone, for me anyway, is terrible exercise. Just enough to make you tired enough to not actually go exercise and not enough to actually contribute to fitness.

If you call 2-3 hours of walking on various degrees of terrain, elevation, etc, not contributing to fitness, well...I've got 200lbs of lost flesh that would disagree with you. ;)

If you call 2-3 hours of walking on various degrees of terrain, elevation, etc, not contributing to fitness, well...I've got 200lbs of lost flesh that would disagree with you. ;)

Maybe they play on small flat courses???
I have 60 lbs of lost flesh myself. I need 40 more.

Hardcore? Are you kidding? I barely meet what the Surgeon General advises for daily activity. America has become a sedentary nation, and a lot of that is people saying someone like myself, who is essentially doing the bare minimum, is "hardcore."
The Surgeon General recommends 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity per week:

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/priorities/prevention/strategy/active-living.html

Even at 40 minutes of HIIT (which is more than moderate activity), 500m swimming and 45 minutes of weight training you're probably getting the minimum recommended activity for a week in 5 days a week. That's 5 times the bare minimum, which is not "essentially" the bare minimum.

I'm not saying that's bad, or that disc golf is that great of a work out, depending on how you play it might not even qualify as moderate activity, but if you're going to justify talking down to everyone because you work out a lot by stating an easy to research benchmark is only a good idea if you've researched the benchmark yourself.

My experience is that cardio and endurance is probably the most important thing to work on for disc golf. Not getting fatigued at the end of two rounds can be a big deal.

The Surgeon General recommends 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity per week:

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/priorities/prevention/strategy/active-living.html

Even at 40 minutes of HIIT (which is more than moderate activity), 500m swimming and 45 minutes of weight training you're probably getting the minimum recommended activity for a week in 5 days a week. That's 5 times the bare minimum, which is not "essentially" the bare minimum.

I'm not saying that's bad, or that disc golf is that great of a work out, depending on how you play it might not even qualify as moderate activity, but if you're going to justify talking down to everyone because you work out a lot by stating an easy to research benchmark is only a good idea if you've researched the benchmark yourself.

My experience is that cardio and endurance is probably the most important thing to work on for disc golf. Not getting fatigued at the end of two rounds can be a big deal.

ipWW8ZafqTAqc.gif