• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Working out and general fitness

I got into using kettlebells years ago in martial arts. I am curious on how kettlebells are used in crossfit, the concept sounds similar to what our goals were.
Do you use kettlebells and if so, what is the workout?

We use KBs for multiple movements: Turkish Get Ups, single-arm snatch/clean-&-jerk, KB swings, goblet squats, farmer's carry... Pretty much every KB exercise works grip strength, core stability, shoulder strength, and hip/leg explosive power. All of which relate directly to disc golf.

I also apologize for being a douche earlier. I take fitness very seriously, and have since long before I joined the military. My dad was also a fitness fanatic, and imparted that upon my brother and sister. I am often the outcast in disc golf because I not only look, but often act, like the douchey ******* jock type. I do love disc golf, but not enough to train specifically for that. I instead train to look good, feel good, perform better in my job and to prevent injury. I may take it to the extreme, but my job is almost entirely physical based.

Again, apologies to all I pissed off and I know how discouraging it can be when some ass hole like myself talks down to you with a holier than thou attitude just because they live a different life. I promise to continue to try to keep this in check. Fitness is a lot more than just picking up heavy things and setting them back down, or running a long distance...it's about physical and mental well-being. People like myself having the attitude I took earlier in this thread is at the best not helpful, and the worst harmful.

I'll continue to monitor this thread because there is some good information here. I will refrain from posting though. I once again apologize for being a total ******* in this matter.

It's all good and appreciate the time you took to apologize and explain.

I'm still impressed by the guy who swims two miles several times a week. That's awesome. I swim barely half that 4 days a week...sometimes less.

Thanks; but really swimming is just easy for me and doesn't tire me out -- more like meditation. I can't run worth a crap though and I hate lifting weights-- been there done that, hated it. My goal is to try and get back into good enough shape to swim around key west again (12.5 miles). It took me 6.5 hours last time (a decade ago) and I'd like to shave an hour off of that.

I find my life more satisfying when I focus on fitness and disc golf is my relaxation vs focusing on disc golf and exercise becoming an afterthought.

For me I prefer to be in better physical shape and in my experience disc golf doesnt help with that.

does it help my game. Doubtful

but it helps my psyche to know Im not turning into a flabby skinny disc golfer type lol

I am a littler guy, 5'7, 150 pounds, so, fitness is very important to my disc golf game. By that I mean that I believe if it wasn't for the fact I work out a lot, I probably couldn't throw nearly as far.

My job is very labor intensive and so I need my stamina and conditioning for that as well. I probably walk about 75-100 miles a week just at work. So my legs are tired at the end of the day. But, if I could just find the motivation to work more on my upper legs, I think I could get a little more added distance in my throws.

But, as I get older, I would like to be able to continue to throw a disc far. And so I know I must keep my motivation to work out. Also, the more you work on your body, I believe, the older one can be without starting to break down. If I was a slouch, I know a round of disc golf would probably make my arm sore or wear me out. And the older you get, the worse that gets.

I work a lot on my core with workouts of my own and p90x "Core Synergistics" and "Ab Ripper". I've also got an incline sit-up bench in my basement. I do a ton a pullups for my back muscles. And then pushups for triceps. Curls for biceps. And then other moves I have learned over the years and from p90x program to work other muscles such as shoulders.

One really can't go wrong with the p90x program. In the summer, when my job is nothing but moving constantly for 10 hours a day, I dial it back on the workout videos and work mainly on my core and arms. In the winter, when work is more mental, I do more cardio workouts and p90x workouts. I'll even start running again in the winter to stay active.

Last edited:
This is a dude you do not want to **** with. I don't know how much the rest of you all know about Krav Maga, but that is a legit martial art...

I also apologize for being a douche earlier. I take fitness very seriously, and have since long before I joined the military. My dad was also a fitness fanatic, and imparted that upon my brother and sister. I am often the outcast in disc golf because I not only look, but often act, like the douchey ******* jock type. I do love disc golf, but not enough to train specifically for that. I instead train to look good, feel good, perform better in my job and to prevent injury. I may take it to the extreme, but my job is almost entirely physical based.

Again, apologies to all I pissed off and I know how discouraging it can be when some ass hole like myself talks down to you with a holier than thou attitude just because they live a different life. I promise to continue to try to keep this in check. Fitness is a lot more than just picking up heavy things and setting them back down, or running a long distance...it's about physical and mental well-being. People like myself having the attitude I took earlier in this thread is at the best not helpful, and the worst harmful.

I'll continue to monitor this thread because there is some good information here. I will refrain from posting though. I once again apologize for being a total ******* in this matter.

Yeah, Krav Maga is the nastiest, filthiest martial art there is. It is designed to inflict the most amount of pain with no regard at all for your opponent.

Thank you for the apology. I wasn't sure what kind of response I would get when I started this thread, and it has been very helpful and motivating for me to hear what others are doing and how others view disc golf and fitness. I hope this keeps going, I am always interested in getting pointers.

I mix in heavy bag and speed bag work into my work outs. Great cardio, and helps with timing and lower body weight shifts. As with most sports, disc golf starts with the lower body.