• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Working Stiff's Bag

Three Putt

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
OK, so...my bag thread is/was on Disc Golf Review. DGR is pretty much dead and keeps going 404 on us, so I'm going to move the bag thread over here. I just don't want to lose the info from the other thread, so I'm going to do some copy/paste to recreate the thread here. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do that yet, and it's not going to happen all at once.

Basically if the post says something about 2008, don't comment since it really is a post from 2008 that I'm moving. It will probably take a few weeks before I get everything moved over and up to date.

Last edited:
Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:22 am

(2) Evolution Infernos, 170g
Understable Driver
(1) Beat 150 Class Tournament Cyclone, 147g
Moderately Overstable Driver
(2) DX Banshees, 164-165g
Very Overstable Driver
Weenie-arms don't need very overstable drivers
Mids:
(3) DX Rocs, 172-174g
(2) Sentinel MFs (Millennium plastic), 176-177g
Putters:
(2) DX Small Bead Aviar Putt & Approach,172g
(1) Omega AP 1.3 (same thing as a small bead, different name) 174g
(2) DX Big Bead Aviar (grid stamp) 172g
(1) 9X KC Pro Aviar...I never throw it, I just keep it in the bag to make new guys jealous. :p

Re: Working Stiff's Bag
Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:27 am

Working Stiff said:
Weenie-arms don't need very overstable drivers

I know it. To some people a TeeRex isn't overstable enough. XCaliber? No thanks.

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:25 am

I've just found that the Banshee at the speed that it is can handle all the jobs I need an overstable discs to do. I wish I had the arm to need a pig, but I don't.

I also don't have the arm to throw something as fast as an Inferno. I really need to back down to a Valk in that slot, as I don't get very much more D out of an Inferno and it is much less predictable. All my Valks are Champ for some reason; I need to get some in DX and put them in the bag.

I have more Aviars in my bag than I need, but my bag has a bunch of putter pockets so I keep them full. I end up using them to practice before the round, so I guess no harm.

It basically the same set-up I've had since '96. I traded X-Clones for Banshees and added KC Rocs as a more stable mid in '98. A few years ago I added a high-speed D slot and replaced the KC Rocs with Sentinels. I replace Cyclones with Gazelles in the winter when it is windy sometimes.

I also replaced Rocs with Comets for a while, but I plead temporary insanity. :p

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:05 p

Well I haven't thrown a Banshee, but looking at Joe's Flight Chart it looks plenty overstable for a headwind and utility driver. Only thing I would say is that with just DX plastic you might be missing the opportunity for some good skip shots that work better with candy plastic.

Also I think the KC Aviar is your best putter. You don't throw it??

Are the grid stamped aviars the full big bead? I have only seen those with the shaved bead I think. Pretty sweet if there are DX aviars with a full bead out there.

Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:01 am

The KC needs to come out of my bag. When I'd pick it up I'd start looking around for an excuse NOT to throw it so I wouldn't loose it. It was distracting, so now I just don't grab it. It's cool, though...it's got the old circle KC stamp, dimple, it flies perfect. I just spend too much time worrying about loosing it rather than just throwing it. Damn boutique disc!

The DX grid stamps are big beads, so I've got a nice alternative to the KC. I use the shaved beads for distance; I can put some hyzer on them and they flatten out and glide farther than I can push a big bead. I use the big bead for putting. That's opposite of how they were marketed, but thats how they work for me.

You have a good point about skip shots. I can replace the Infernos with a couple DX Valks and a couple Champ Valks. I'll have room in the bag when I finally take that KC Aviar out. :D The Champ Banshee is too much of a pig for me, and the Z Cyclone blows, so the Champ Valk would be the best option for a usable disc for me in candy plastic without adding another mold.

Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:38 am

Working Stiff said:
I've just found that the Banshee at the speed that it is can handle all the jobs I need an overstable discs to do. I wish I had the arm to need a pig, but I don't.
IMO, the Banshee is one of the best overstable drivers for "weenie arms." It seems to rely more on rim configuration than speed for its overstability. That seems to make it more predictable and controlable than using a really fast disc without really sacrificing much distance.

It looks to me like you've spent the time to choose the best discs for you.

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:22 am

garublador said:
IMO, the Banshee is one of the best overstable drivers for "weenie arms." It seems to rely more on rim configuration than speed for its overstability. That seems to make it more predictable and controlable than using a really fast disc without really sacrificing much distance..
Can we make that a new "best of" category?

Best overstable disc for people who have no business throwing an overstable disc: DX Innova Banshee. :p

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:22 pm

You've probably thrown whippets before? Why the banshee over the whippet? They seem to be similar discs to me with the whippet being a touch slower and easier to control for me.

Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:06 am

the invisible tree said:
You've probably thrown whippets before? Why the banshee over the whippet? They seem to be similar discs to me with the whippet being a touch slower and easier to control for me.
Just for me, the Whippet would go into a turn faster than a Banshee. Whippets ARE very consistent, but for me they are consistently short and to the left.

Also from my experience for that general speed of discs, the Banshee and X-Clone were head and shoulders above the Viper and Whippet as a forehand disc. I was able to execute more shots with the Banshee. I did know guys who threw the Whippet with great success, but most of those guys had guns.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:29 pm

I slipped to page two, so I thought I'd post the changes to my bag:

Stable Control Drivers
(2) Tournament Cyclones, 167-169g
Distance Drivers
(2) Champ Valkyries, 170-175g
(2) DX Valkyries, 169g
Understable Driver
(2) DX Banshees, 164-165g
Mids:
(3) DX Rocs, 172-174g
(2) Sentinel MFs (Millennium plastic), 176-177g
Putters:
(2) S Wizards (M),172-175g
(1) S Wizard (SS), 175g

Basically Infernos are gone, probably for good. Valkyries are back. Poisonelf traded me a beat 175g Champ Valk that is FUGLY but flies nice. 8)

Aviars are out for the Wizard. My putting has been atrocious, so I changed my practice routine and my putter to see if I could shake something up...trying to get some positive mojo working.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:17 am

I slipped to page five this time. I almost couldn't find the thread.

Anyway this is my bag right now. See if you can find any holes.

Stable Control Drivers
None.
Distance Drivers
None.
Understable Driver
None.
(1) DX Banshee, (165g)
Very Overstable Driver
None
Mids:
(2) Tournament Comets (171g, 177g)
(1) X Comet (177g)
(2) Z Comets (173g, 177g)
Putters:
(1) S Wizard (175g)

I got tired of the all-OAT, all-the-time game, so I'm trying to fix it. Five Comets, a putter and a Banshee for when I get in trouble and need to flick something. That's it. No high speed drivers. Basically just me and a bunch of Comets trying to figure out how to throw.

So far, results are inconclusive. What IS conclusive is that everybody I've played a round with thinks I'm crazy.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:14 am

Just taking a quick glance... I don't think you have enough mids to cover all of your shots.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:46 am

Why don't you pick a faster understable disc to help you work on your OAT without losing too much distance? Were those DX Valkyries new? Those things beat into some sweet sweet turnover drivers (even for the weenie arms, if they're trashed enough). I had one that would turn over if you looked at it funny. Nicely seasoned Polaris LS also seem to fit that flippy slot. Throw them on a clean hyzer (as long as there's no wind in your face) and they can float for some time.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:41 am

It sounds like you know what you're doing. Let us know how it goes.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:30 pm

roman said:
Why don't you pick a faster understable disc to help you work on your OAT without losing too much distance? Were those DX Valkyries new? Those things beat into some sweet sweet turnover drivers (even for the weenie arms, if they're trashed enough). I had one that would turn over if you looked at it funny. Nicely seasoned Polaris LS also seem to fit that flippy slot. Throw them on a clean hyzer (as long as there's no wind in your face) and they can float for some time.
The Valks were part of the problem. I'd gotten to the point where I was getting no D from them at all, just turn and burn. I was getting better D from the Rocs I was throwing, which made carrying the Valks kinda pointless.

The idea isn't to throw mids for the rest of my life. Hopefully I'll learn some things about how I'm throwing and have some drivers back in the bag by the spring and actually get some performance out of them. I understand the comment, though. The guys I was playing with a few weeks ago were going insane, they kept trying to hand me a driver to throw. They could not fathom playing a round without a driver, and they got aggravated every time I had the short drive. They just didn't understand that I would have had the short drive no matter what. Hopefully by spring, that won't be the case anymore.

Anyway, I tell noobs all the time to throw putters and mids and learn to throw before moving on to drivers. My game was looking like I was a noob, so I thought I'd follow my own advice.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:53 am

Time for my one-year update...I still suck.

I spent a lot of time working with the Comet in the last year, and it has some short-term benefit. My mid-range game and shots with my putters improve quite a bit. Longer, straighter, just a better all around short game. The effect has never translated into any distance with drivers. Whatever is keeping my drives pathetically short must be some other factor besides just OAT.

However, when I take a few weeks off it's back to square one. I played last week and it was wretched. Everything wobbled out of my hand, everything was short, everything turned over if I kept the nose down or stalled and hyzered out way short if I got the nose up. I managed to get one drive about 20' from the pin and proceeded to five putt the hole for a 6. Just awful stuff.

As such, I don't think the bag set-up matters all that much. A bag full of CE can't save me from my sad and feeble game.

Anyway, on the plus side the ESP Cyclone is bombing. I'm getting better D from it than the Inferno. For me it is a very good driver, and I can see the flutter when it leaves my hand so I know there is more D there if I can fix my throw to take advantage of it.

The Inferno is still in the bag because I have not gotten around to taking it out. It's a goner. I seriously don't think I have the game to throw anything faster than a Cyclone/Gazelle-type disc for distance.

I have been working with some DX TeeBirds, but they are too overstable for me. I never put TeeBirds in the bag back in the day because they were too overstable for me, but after a decade of hearing about how they were the best thing since sliced bread I decided to give them another shot. I'm leaving one in the bag thinking maybe it will beat up one day into the disc everyone says it is. Right now I'm using it for the shots I used to use Banshees for.

After an 11-year run in my bag, the Banshee is out. I'm going to work with the Predator for a while and see if it adds anything to my bag of tricks. If the Predator and/or TeeBird experiments don't pan out, there is always the Banshee.

Comets will stay put for awhile. I'm really hearing the call of the Roc, though.

Sentinels are there until I figure out something different. The www Q is way too flippy for an overstable mid.

I go back and forth between Wizards and Aviars. There is a hole on my home course where I need a throwaway putter. The basket is on top of a levee, and my drive is always at the bottom of the incline. If I make my upshot pin high and miss the putter is a goner because the reservoir is right there, so I keep an old small-bead Aviar to make runs at that basket. I've got a milloin of them, so if I loose it no big loss. Since I was carrying one Aviar it made sense to me just to go back 100% to Aviars. To be honest, I see no noticeable difference between Wizard and big bead Aviar throws.

Stable Control Drivers
(1) ESP Cyclone, 168g
(1) Tournament Cyclone, 170g
Distance Drivers
(1) Evolution Infernos, 170g
Understable Driver
(1) DX TeeBird, 168g
Very Overstable Driver
(1) Z Predator, 166g
Mids:
(2) Z Comets, 171-172g
(1) X Comet, 177g
(1) Q Sentinel, 176g
(1) Sentinel MF (Millennium plastic), 176g
Putters:
(1) DX Small Bead Aviar Putt & Approach,172g
(1) DX Big Bead Aviar (grid stamp) 172g
(1) 9X KC Pro Aviar 172g

Post Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:09 pm

My play has reached all-time pathetic lows. I think it's time to take the time-tested approach of blaming the arrows.

Nothing has a place in the bag, all spots are up for grabs.

Stable Control Drivers
Cyclones VS Gazelles VS XL's
Distance Drivers
Apaches VS Valkyries VS SL's
Understable Driver
Leopards VS Thrashed Cyclones
TeeBird VS ...not carrying a moderatly overstable driver.
Very Overstable Driver
Predator VS Banshee VS Firebird
Mids:
Comets VS Buzzz VS Rocs
Overstable Mids
Wasp VS KC Rocs
Putters:
Aviar VS Wizard VS Magnet

Working out all those discs will require a lot of field throwing. Maybe I'll start to work out whatever it is that I'm doing wrong.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Stiffy how far are your average drives? I think you've said before but I can't remember. anyway here's my votes

Cyclone
Valkyrie
XL (a beat one) or a beat Cyclone
Banshee
Comets
KC Rocs
Wizard (Driving)
Magnet (Putting)

or if you are really sucking it up I would cut it down to:

Cyclone (ESP and TP)
XL (X)
Banshee (Champ)