• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WORLD FIASCO

I keep seeing MJ's name brought up. Isn't it on him to sign up quickly, same as everyone else, or were there other circumstances I'm not aware of?

Edit...David snuck his in before me. :)

You guys... Loomis is very vocal with his opinions and isnt scared to ruffle feathers. So much so that it almost seems like trolling

He does do pretty good interviews though.

Loomis- do you get paid for the interviews you do in Disc Golfer magazine? Does the PDGA know you talk trash about them on disc golf forums?

But its a division of 8 in a division that, frankly, nobody really cares that much about.

MJ on the waiting list is much more of an issue with this tournament than the few Master's women that get left out.

Sorry for the 'real talk.' But it is what it is.

MJ is on the wait list because he didnt sign up on time. Whatever the reason is that he didnt doesnt much matter. That 920 player had his money ready and signed up. I dont htink MJ is this way, but plenty of pros, whos job it is to be disc golfers, wait and dont sign up, and the expect to get in. They should be the first to sign up and shouldnt get any preferred treatment if they dont.

Ok. I hate this argument. and I hate that they have any protected divisions at Worlds. it should be like the USDGC.

ONE Division for Pro Worlds.

ONE Division for Am Worlds.

then,

ONE Division for Womens Pro Champ

One Division for Womens AM Champ.

That is all you need. the old folks, and kids can have their own championships. have a Tournament for just Masters age people. (isnt there one of these already?)

have a tournament for only kids, (Pretty sure there is one of these also)

all the entitled people are ridiculous. just because you can throw a frisbee 200ft doesnt mean you deserve a chance at a world championship.

We have players who play for cash and players who play for merch and they are all equal members of an organization that creates the Worlds format which recognizes winners in different ages and genders among its members.

Last edited:
right. ok. so then word it like this.

Mens CASH World Champ

Mens Plastic World Champ

Womens Cash

Womens Plastic

then you can have your Seniors and Juniors play a separate tourney.

That actually is a brilliant Idea. group all the old guys and gals and the kiddos together in one tourney.

Worlds is, and always has been, partly a championship, partly a convention. Most players who participate don't have a chance of winning, and many if not most know this.

I believe the membership was polled a few years ago, and this was one of the questions that was posed. The membership voted overwhelmingly to keep it as it is, instead of being exclusively for and about top players.

The dissenting minority have a valid point, but there's something to be said for a membership organization doing what the membership wants.

It was, and kind of still is, one of the attractions of the USDGC that it counterbalances the Worlds by being a single-division, best-of-the-best event in which you can't just get in by paying an entry fee.

Worlds is, and always has been, partly a championship, partly a convention. Most players who participate don't have a chance of winning, and many if not most know this.

I believe the membership was polled a few years ago, and this was one of the questions that was posed. The membership voted overwhelmingly to keep it as it is, instead of being exclusively for and about top players.

The dissenting minority have a valid point, but there's something to be said for a membership organization doing what the membership wants.

It was, and kind of still is, one of the attractions of the USDGC that it counterbalances the Worlds by being a single-division, best-of-the-best event in which you can't just get in by paying an entry fee.

Im all for this type of tournament. but dont put any merit behind winning it then. and winning a division of 8 people, should not get you the world title in anything.

Im all for this type of tournament. but dont put any merit behind winning it then. and winning a division of 8 people, should not get you the world title in anything.

What harm is done?

It's not like there's a wider world out there who would take us seriously if we didn't have a Over-70 World Champion, but dismisses us because we do.

In fact, if I were to prove that I was the best over-50-year-old player in the World---or, at least, the best who chose to compete with me---I'd probably be proud of it.

What harm is done?

It's not like there's a wider world out there who would take us seriously if we didn't have a Over-70 World Champion, but dismisses us because we do.

In fact, if I were to prove that I was the best over-50-year-old player in the World---or, at least, the best who chose to compete with me---I'd probably be proud of it.

I guess no harm is done. but if there were only 4 titles handed out, I dont think this thread would exist.

what about protected weight classes. maybe we should have height restrictions too.

Would we have an over 240lbs under 5-7 Champion of the World!

What harm is done?

How many male divisions do they have world championships for?

There IS a demand for the Masters AND Grandmasters Women's division. Doesn't seem to matter to the TD or the PDGA.

And all rage is necessary. A lack of rage allows mediocrity and banality to reign. Hence a division of 8 at a World Championship.

Voting opens July 1st. Is your name on the PDGA ballot?

Worlds is open to anyone who wants to play. That's the way it works. You pay your PDGA fees, you get to play.

If you don't want to watch 900 rated players play, then don't watch them. That doesn't mean that 900 rated players shouldn't be given the same treatment and consideration for their World Championship. To focus solely on the 1000 rated player means that the entire idea of the PDGA is a farce.

Worlds should be about quality, not quantity. Only the best players in the world should be playing for the world championship.

Allowing anyone entry, changes it from a world championship event into a so-called, world championship event.

picture.php

Maybe the board needs to put this to a vote again. I had no idea that I could play Worlds. Why on earth would I waste a real pro's spot by dragging my sorry 850 butt all over the course.

Leave that to other tourneys if you want to hang with the big boys. Worlds should be different.

Maybe the board needs to put this to a vote again. I had no idea that I could play Worlds. Why on earth would I waste a real pro's spot by dragging my sorry 850 butt all over the course.

Leave that to other tourneys if you want to hang with the big boys. Worlds should be different.

I believe you need to be invited to register. Granted, the qualification requirements should probably be tightened up. I think I have played two events in the last year and I received an invitation.

I fully admit that I have no business playing for a world championship. That's not going to stop me from taking advantage, though. I figure things will likely change soon, and this may be my last opportunity.

Loomis, you speak of the sport GROWING as meaning we need to let everyone play in the world championships.

I see the sport GROWING and it has led to a more elite World Championships where it should be hard to earn a spot in. (sports in their infancy allow everyone to participate, not so with mature sports. I bet there were quite a few countries who would have liked to be at the world cup this year.)

DG Example: Just 4 years ago any college in the nation could sign up for the Collegiate National Championships if they timed it right. But it has quickly grown to the point where now we need regional qualifiers just to earn one of the 50+ team spots. And it's not an easy task anymore. Ultimately, this brings more validity and weight to a National Title.

I'd bet the current system would win overwhelmingly.

By the way, I felt EXACTLY the same as you do, back in 2001. I found out that, even though I didn't have enough points to garner an invitation, I could sign up for Am Worlds. I went, though I thought it was silly that they'd let me into Worlds, and felt slightly foolish telling people that I was playing in the world championship.

I had a blast, and discovered the dual nature of Worlds. I met a ton of players from around the country, none of whom had any chance of actually winning.

As far as I can tell, our presence did not detract from the experience of the top amateur players who were competing for the title.

I've since played in a Pro/Am Worlds, but no Pro Worlds, but I strongly suspect it's the same.

Latest posts