• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worlds Question!

discjon

Birdie Member
Just a quick question for everyone!

The 2011 Worlds are being held in my hometown, Rochester.
I obviously want to play in them, who doesn't?

My question is, how exactly does one qualify for Worlds?

I would play AM, and I know there is that 500 points and top 25% to get an invite, or 1000 points, or something to that effect.

Does one need an invite to participate?

And with the points, if the Worlds are held in July, do I have from the December I join to July to accumulate the points, so 6 months, or is it from the previous year...?

I'm just looking for some clarification here from the more experienced guys and gals.

Thanks!

To my understanding there are normally plenty of spots available after all the invite people so unless you want to you shouldn't have to get all the points needed. I think it might cost more for the non-invites but that is it.

Just send me your social security #, $45, and mothers maiden name and I will sign you up.

Oh and all credit card info would be grand...

So there is no qualification requirements?
Seems odd!

They have the requirements in place but they have never filled a worlds. So they have a sign up period for the people who got the points then they open it up for everyone when it doesn't fill. I think advanced grandmasters filled this year but for open/am (meaning am, no age protection) you will not have to worry. The only thing you need is a current pdga membership.

There are qualifications to get an invite to Worlds. The first two being (for Am advanced only) either 1000 points or 500 points and being in the top 25% of points in your state. They are less stringent for age protected divisions.

But you don't need an invite to play, as many invitees can't make the trip. So around Memorial Day, non-invitees can sign up. All you'll need is a PDGA membership, the entry fee money, and money to cover ancillary expenses (food, gas, lodging, shopping, entertainment).

Great, thanks for the responses everyone!

I live less than 30 minutes from every course that is being slated for play in 2011, lucky me. =]

Worlds, contrary to popular belief, isn't the most exclusive or prestigious event. I think of it as 3 parts tournament and 1 part family reunion. For a lot of the participants, it's more of a way to reconnect with old friends and the competition part comes second.

If you want to get into a prestigious event, try qualifying for USADGC or USDGC.

Worlds, contrary to popular belief, isn't the most exclusive or prestigious event. I think of it as 3 parts tournament and 1 part family reunion. For a lot of the participants, it's more of a way to reconnect with old friends and the competition part comes second.

If you want to get into a prestigious event, try qualifying for USADGC or USDGC.

What do you have to do to qualify for those?

The points for worlds are accumulated per calendar year. So the points you earn playing Jan 2009 --> Dec 2009 will qualify you for Worlds in 2010.

There a ton of Worlds info on the PDGA site here: http://www.pdga.com/world-championships
Including a document listing the qualification criteria (for 2009).

I have been to Am Worlds twice as a competitor... one of those times I also volunteered.
and I also staffed at Houston Pro Worlds when it was held there so I have some hands on insights.

Things may have changed. Check with the PDGA!

I went to AM Worlds twice as mentioned... the first time, at Nashville, I did not even have a SINGLE point. I had never even been to a PDGA event.

Nashville Worlds was my first ever PDGA event!

I was able to attend due to the waiting list. I was a current member (had joined earlier that year) so I sent in the entry fee and got on the waiting list.

Once the Invite Period passes they open up the attendance to the membership.

They want to fill up the event, I assure you. Go.

Prep List:

• You'll need to be a Current Member
  • Contact PDGA and get official wait list info
  • Pre Pay entry fee

Last edited:
What do you have to do to qualify for those?

USDGC Qualifying procedures can be found here: http://www.usdgc.com/files09/09_USDGC_Qualifying.pdf

Basically, you can qualify by finishing in the top 5 in the Open division in specific qualifying events (15 regional events this year, mostly National Tour events with a handful of others thrown in, and 5 more "global" events -- four major European events plus Worlds). Also, each PDGA State and National Coordinator can select one competitor from their jurisdiction. Many rely on the results from designated event or series of events -- in Georgia, the State Coordinator designated two already scheduled events, took the top 4 finishers from each, and will hold a special event in a few weeks where the top finisher among those 8 will get the spot.

There are also open qualifying rounds held on the Monday of the week of the USDGC at Winthrop -- basically, you can play as many rounds as you can get in that day, and the lowest 5 rounds overall qualify.

Beyond that, the top 20 finishers from last year are exempt from qualifying, as are former champions, former Worlds open champions, and the top 10 money winners from the previous year (obviously, there's a lot of overlap among these groups, so there's not as many as it might sound).

Also, special invitations are extended to the winners of other specific events, including the US Amateur Championships (Adv Am and Women's), Worlds (Adv Am, Women, Masters, and Grandmasters), as well as the tournament directors of the global and regional qualifying events).

"Basically, you can qualify by finishing in the top 5 in the Open division in specific qualifying events "

This is sort of correct - it's actually the top 5 scores in those events of the people not already qualified. So in some of the big NT events, where a lot of the top guys are already eligible - it could be as far down as 15th or 20th place that gets the invite for USDGC.

I was suprised when I first found out (2001) that pretty much anyone could go to Worlds. I went, had a blast, and have thought of it everafter as the Disc Golf Convention (or Vacation). I recommend the experience to everyone.

"Basically, you can qualify by finishing in the top 5 in the Open division in specific qualifying events "

This is sort of correct - it's actually the top 5 scores in those events of the people not already qualified. So in some of the big NT events, where a lot of the top guys are already eligible - it could be as far down as 15th or 20th place that gets the invite for USDGC.

Yeah, which is why I included the qualifier (you should pardon the pun) "basically" -- I knew that the explanation was going to be long enough as it was without including every caveat -- especially since they were covered in the document I linked.

As long as we're diving into the minutiae, there's also the proviso that you have only 30 days after qualifying at an event to submit your application, and that if you fail to do so you not only don't get in on that basis, but are ineligible to qualify via another regional or global qualifying event. So you would basically have to play your way in on Monday, or be selected by your State or National Coordinator, or qualify via the USADGC or Worlds.

Is there only one division at the USDGC? It looked from past results that women were mixed in...which is kinda crappy IMO.

yes, "One Division, One Champion" is the motto. There is a separate women's national championship (USWDGC) so they aren't being ignored. Just qualifying for USDGC is a tremendous accomplishment for the ladies.