• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worthless Disc Review Expressions

tampora

Eagle Member
This disc holds any line you put it on!
This disc is great for players of all skill levels!
This disc is ideal for both backhand and sidearm throwers!
This is a maximum distance driver!
This disc has great control!
This disc is very useful for shaping your shots!
This disc gives great distance when thrown downwind!
This disc gives great distance when throw upwind at high weights!
This disc is very reliable with predictable flight characteristics!
This disc is designed to release smoothly out of your hand!
Etc, Etc, Etc.

Does anybody else find these, and many other disc descriptions, to be completely empty of value? It's like saying every child is smart or cute, oftentimes it just isn't true and it really never SAYS anything.

The worst offender is: "It holds any line you put it on". That's like saying: "This coin always comes up heads whenever you flip it heads". I have to assume the expression originally meant, "It has the ability to go dead-straight (as in a straight line)"; however, now people have broadened that definition to include a hyzer-line, a roller-line, and whatever else they want to throw. If you use such lax terms, then of course a disc is going to hold any path you put it on, if it didn't, then it was put it on a different path!!

Personally I find these sentences really valuable - they tell me I can skip this review and not lose out on anything.

Forget reviews. What about marketing blurbs?

But yeah, great for all skill levels makes me laugh. Especially when it's on a high speed driver.

The claims made by Prodigy and Salient when they were really new companies were hilariously bad. Someone needs to revolutionise DG marketing.

For the most part I agree but "Holds any line you put it on" makes sense, at least to me anyway. It accurately describes my Roc3. If I throw it straight and flat it will go straight and flat. If I throw it on an anhyzer it will stay anhyzered the whole flight. My Shark3 will not do that. If I throw it straight and flat it will go straight for awhile and then fade off. If I throw it on an anhyzer line it will most likely flex off and fade out unless I just really turn it over. Therefore, the Roc3 will hold any line I put it on but the Shark3 doesn't.

Etc, Etc, Etc.

Does anybody else find these, and many other disc descriptions, to be completely empty of value? It's like saying every child is smart or cute, oftentimes it just isn't true and it really never SAYS anything.

The worst offender is: "It holds any line you put it on"....

Wow, who lit the fuse on your tampon this morning? :) Between the "flattening a disc" thread and here you seem a little grumpy.

Anyway, I'll agree that most of your chosen phrases are useless, and the three I've bolded are overused.

"Holds any line" does apply to some discs more than others. My Comets don't hold hyzer lines well when thrown with power, and my Tensor won't hold anything but the steepest anhyzer. On the other hand my Mako follows any angle of release without fighting out in either direction. It would be fair to say it holds any line I put it on. I will acknowledge that there are very few discs as neutral as the Mako, and as such the description is overused.

I would say my Buzzz's are "Great for all skill levels". They're easy to throw for newer players, but still useful for more advanced players. Where I find this description frustrating and overused is when it's applied to anything faster than a fairway driver. The Tern is billed as a great distance driver for beginners, and we all know there is no such thing. But this description can be used for certain mids and putters and be accurate.

There are discs that throw better into a headwind at higher weights than they do at lower, so I have no problem with that phrase either.

The one that really gets to me is: "this disc is great for noodle-arms like me" or "I bomb, so weaker arms may not have the results I had". These annoy me because I know players who think they're big-armed studs and throw about the same distance as me (maxing out around 350' with a Volt usually) and I consider myself a noodle arm. So people who don't specify their max D and the disc they throw it with tend to annoy me.

For the most part I agree but "Holds any line you put it on" makes sense, at least to me anyway. It accurately describes my Roc3. If I throw it straight and flat it will go straight and flat. If I throw it on an anhyzer it will stay anhyzered the whole flight. My Shark3 will not do that. If I throw it straight and flat it will go straight for awhile and then fade off. If I throw it on an anhyzer line it will most likely flex off and fade out unless I just really turn it over. Therefore, the Roc3 will hold any line I put it on but the Shark3 doesn't.

Agreed with this one. The problem is it is way overused. My foxbat fits this description VERY well though as even during the LSS portion of the flight it has such little fade it won't fight out of the line it was sent on. This is most easily seen on an anny line - it will hold that anny all the way into the dirt. My Roc3 will fight out flat or even a little right (depending on height, anny angle, distance, etc) at the end.

The odd part though about this is that people say it often as if it is always a good thing. It is certainly helpful to have a disc that behaves this way....but it isn't always what you want.

Hold any line = Won't flip from hyzer and will hold a long anny. I find that informative.

All skill levels = Something putter/mid that can handle low or high power throws. Aviar/Mako/Buzzz/Shark. But yeah pretty general statement but not useless.

Your others, yeah I guess I agree don't give much info.

the holds any line is so stupid. if thats the magical disc for you that holds any line, why do you even have anything else in the bag :|

A lot of statements in regards to discs are anecdotal at best. Also, a lot of the behavior people attribute to discs actually has little to do with the disc, but how and when they throw it.

Having said that, discs obviously do behave differently, you should have a variety of discs, and you should use the right tool for any given situation. However, when people say things like, "my 'perfectly seasoned' champ teebird is a completely different disc than my my slightly used star teebird," they're usually talking out of their ass. People like to attribute magical abilities to certain discs in various stages of wear, and it's a bit ridiculous.

The variability between any two given throws would more than account for the different behaviors of two similar discs, even if you're a professional disc golfer and incredibly consistent. People come to believe these things because they reach for particular discs in certain situations. When they make a good shot on the line they intended, it reinforces their belief in a particular disc. That doesn't mean that a similar disc in their bag had the potential to do the job any less well.

A lot of statements in regards to discs are anecdotal at best. Also, a lot of the behavior people attribute to discs actually has little to do with the disc, but how and when they throw it.

Having said that, discs obviously do behave differently, you should have a variety of discs, and you should use the right tool for any given situation. However, when people say things like, "my 'perfectly seasoned' champ teebird is a completely different disc than my my slightly used star teebird," they're usually talking out of their ass. People like to attribute magical abilities to certain discs in various stages of wear, and it's a bit ridiculous.

The variability between any two given throws would more than account for the different behaviors of two similar discs, even if you're a professional disc golfer and incredibly consistent. People come to believe these things because they reach for particular discs in certain situations. When they make a good shot on the line they intended, it reinforces their belief in a particular disc. That doesn't mean that a similar disc in their bag had the potential to do the job any less well.

oh yeah lets not forget the magical "sweet spot"

the holds any line is so stupid. if thats the magical disc for you that holds any line, why do you even have anything else in the bag :|
Because sometimes I don't want a disc to hold a line???:doh::)

If you only bagged discs that held their original line you could not execute the hyzer flip or flex shots to get around obstacles. You would deprive yourself of the max distance you get from a nice S-curve. And you would very likely be lacking the type of disc needed to throw a long range roller or a good overhand shot. Discs that hold "any line" are as much a utility disc as a Mamba or Firebird.

These are basically just a way of describing discs to less experienced players who don't pay much attention to flight ratings.

These are just another way of describing a neutral disc.
  • This disc holds any line you put it on!
  • This disc is very useful for shaping your shots!

And these typically describe understable discs
  • This disc is great for players of all skill levels!
  • This disc gives great distance when thrown downwind!

Or on the overstable side, you might use these

• This disc is ideal for both backhand and sidearm throwers!
  • This disc has great control!
  • This disc gives great distance when throw upwind at high weights!

This one has a wide rim
  • This is a maximum distance driver!

This is simply a way to appeal to anyone who complains about consistency
  • This disc is very reliable with predictable flight characteristics!

And this just means it has a slanted rim
  • This disc is designed to release smoothly out of your hand!

For the vast majority of people on this forum, these descriptions are worthless. But at the same time, we're not the ones that are being targeted with that wording. It may be worthless to us, but it likely is more than enough to get a beginner to shell out a few dollars for a new disc.

good description for some discs. My pure really does hold any line.

yeah, that one is dumb.
Also a meaningless statement.

Not totally useless, but depends on who's throwing it.

some discs really do seem easier to control than others, so although this is subjective it isn't without value.

This could mean several things, but to me it implies that there is a good bit of turn and fade allowing for complex flight patterns that might be useful in wooded areas.

Just means it is a good understable distance driver.

Means it's a good overstable driver.

Either implies good stability, or good quality control.

Some discs do come out more smoothy.

I guess that:

"This disc may or may not help you, you have to buy it and throw it for a while, and maybe even wear it in, to figure that out!"

Just doesn't sell a lot of Discs?

Ya, but what bradharris said. That is how I read those things.