• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would i be a bagger if......?

Lol. Won rec in two back to back weekends, sounds like somebody either likes not having to try, or can't play under pressure. Either way, rec is for beginners or people who play recreationally, not people who play tournaments every weekend and take DG seriously.

The best theory is this: Can you shoot what you consider a bad set of rounds and still finish top-3 regularly in a decent sized (say 14-15 person minimum) field? Once you start feeling like poor shooting is finishing you in the top 3 of your division, it is time to move up.

This is my stance as well.

I think you should move up. Why? REC means recreational. Recreational means you're just playing around, not serious, not played before, not practiced, etc. If you've already won, you're no longer RECREATIONAL. Honestly, I think it is a stupid tournament division, since it's hard to be recreational when playing a tournament.

Yep. Move up. Give other newbs a chance. It'll help you, anyway. IF you won you're last tourney, chances are you'll cash in this one.

I guess i'm old school but when they 1st came out with divisons like novice and recreational I was against it. I thought if you were recreational you didn't play in organized events. A novice player is a first time or beginner. You can only be a first timer once. Then they threw in the ratings for those divisions. It won't be long before they start dominant hand based divisions.

Really you need to decide what your goals are. If you want to be a lifetime rec player then do that. If your intentions are to get better and become a pro you need to put in some practice time and get your game to the next level. You control your destiny.

Rec is a sham anyway - the way its structured its asking for baggers. I've kinda flipped stances on this since I started playing but IMO there should be Advanced and a division called "recreational" which comprises of what now is Novice, Rec, Int. and there really shouldn't be a "payout" - it should be all about fun and maybe a trophy for the top 3.

So to the OP - play the division that fits your mindset, not your cumulative rating. If you're a competitive person who is looking to win, move up and learn to compete. If you're out there having fun and couldn't care less about placing, then stay in Rec.

Tiered competition breeds bagging, and people who say "oh I'm playing in this division so I can win it" are baggers, regardless of what their rating dictates.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Move Up!

Last edited:
I think you should move up. Why? REC means recreational. Recreational means you're just playing around, not serious, not played before, not practiced, etc. If you've already won, you're no longer RECREATIONAL. Honestly, I think it is a stupid tournament division, since it's hard to be recreational when playing a tournament.

Yep. Move up. Give other newbs a chance. It'll help you, anyway. IF you won you're last tourney, chances are you'll cash in this one.

That's an argument against the name of the division, not against playing in a division with people at your skill level. Around here, the rec division is pretty competitive, and beginners are down in novice, if it was just called AM3 and everyone played where their rating put them a lot of these problems would go away.

I agree with mahnut I went to San Antonio and played in the Fly ink open I played Rec because I had only been playing for a year and only played in one tourny my ratings was 857. So I won my division with the guys on the 2 cards I was on calling me a bagger the whole time. When I got home I looked up all the players that were talking **** and most of them were over 900, played in 10 or more turnys that year, plus the guy I beat on the last hole had won 2 rec tournys already the month before. So now that my rating is 887 and I have 2 tournys under my belt do I move up? I think if you put all of those divisions together that would never be an issue

Either way, rec is for beginners or people who play recreationally, not people who play tournaments every weekend and take DG seriously.

False.

It's a poorly-named division, but then again, aren't they all?

The Rec division is for players of a certain skill level, not a certain experience level or ambition level.

It's very possible to take disc golf seriously and play and practice often and play tournaments almost every weekend---yet remain under 900-rated.

As one example, I've played for 16 years, play several times a week, practice 50-100 putts several times a week, do field work, have played 75+ tournaments and tons of league play, actually live on a disc golf course---yet am rated 903. Now, I have age-protected divisions to compete in but if I didn't, a little more age and a shoulder decay and my skills will be firmly in the "recreational" range.

I don't care if somebody wins rec. That division has the most erratic changes in competition level from week to week and some wins don't mean as much as others. Beating a group of 5-8 people is a lot easier than beating a group of 25-30.

The question that you need to be asking is, "would I be competing with the intermediate players had I played up?". Note, "competing" does not equate to winning, or even cashing, but being able to beat at least some degree of that field, and cashing occasionally, or at least being in that range at lunch. If you see yourself getting DFL or close to it consistently, then stay down in rec until you see progress.

That being said, most people around here with high 800's ratings usually play intermediate. I'm sure that's true a lot of places.

That being said, most people around here with high 800's ratings usually play intermediate. I'm sure that's true a lot of places.

Until recently it was pretty universal around here. Nowadays we see more people playing in the division where their rating places them.

The funny thing is when those high-800s players, playing Intermediate, whine about the 925-rated Intermediates being "baggers". I suppose they want those 925-rated Intermediates to move to Advanced, where THEY can whine about the 960-rated advanced players being "baggers". And so it goes.

Once we went beyond a single Open division, it was inevitable that SOMEONE would win the other divisions, and that someone would be a "bagger". Sigh.

100% in agreement with mashnut here. People seem to be arguing with the name Rec, as opposed to the players whose skill level puts them in the AM3 division.

Don't feel too bad, my friends are playing the same tourney and are the two highest rated players in Rec. If one of them doesn't win, we're going to bust their balls. I'm surprised how many players are signed up for a trophy only division.

I won a Rec tourney and I had the lowest rating in the field prior and Got called a bagger the entire weekend. They'll do it no matter what cause you are beating them.

If your rating places you in Rec and you don't have goals of moving up then stay down. The people who are calling out bagger are usually irrelevant in the Division anyway. Like the 780ish player who really doesn't have a chance or his own division (at least not in NC) to make him feel better. If they want to win or compete they need to get better or play better. Simple. Now if you start playing 900ish consistently but your rating doesn't keep up(like mine) then yea move up cause you can compete. until then I say Play where you're rated.

i went from rec to am2 to advance in 1 year, play with better people will make you do better and less idiots who dont respect quiet time when your putting

I didn't read any of the posts... but its like the is this an ace questions.

If you have to ask its prob not gonna be the answer you hope.
Play your rating, its what its for is my answer.

I can throw +300' with my drivers and can sink 20'+ putts garanteed, but I'm playing Rec this weekend 'cause I last played a tourney in '94 with an Ultimate disc.

If your rating lets you play in the division then play in it. Bagger is simply a term made up by people that don't handle defeat well.

Looks like he played up and missed cash by 4 strokes. Nice second round rated just over 900. I didn't play but I know it was a very windy day on some courses that play very hard in the wind.