• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would like help on my throw

teetones

I have been playing for a few years, and would like to have someone else see my swing to improve it. I was throwing into a blanket we hung up in my buddy's garage. Any information would be helpful!

edit: having an issue posting my vid. I have it sent to me in an e-mail and don't know how to get it on here haha

Your pull line is coming over the top and rounding instead of coming straight through the core. You bury your head into your shoulder which kinda throws your balance behind your heels instead of transferring your weight forward. Your weight is too far back over the rear foot/knee going into the x-step and your x-step is very deep so your weight is moving way back and never really gets forward. Stay taller and lighter on the feet but keep everything smooth and controlled and then accelerate through the hit. You can keep the disc more stationary going into the backswing and work your body more around the disc into the backswing, instead of moving the disc into the backswing. It's easier to build core torque working around a stationary object than it is moving an object. When you go down to plant you want to land on the toes and roll to the heel keeping pressure through the inside arch/instep/leg down to the heel. On the rear foot you should be feeling leverage through the inside foot/leg. Watch the reachback position and how your rear knee is behind the rear foot, you've lost leverage.

Thank you for embedding them!

Standing up taller and straightening my left leg in my x-step, (which is more of a crow hop now that I can see it) has moved my weight WAY forward and put my body over my right foot as it spins. I expect to see a big change when things get a bit warmer in Michigan. Thank you so much for the help!

Anyone have anything else to add?

When sidewinder comes in, most of us typically defer to his expertise:)

When sidewinder comes in, most of us typically defer to his expertise:)

He does seem to be right on the money.

Just as a little more info on how far I throw:
Flows, nukes and havocs = just under feet 400.

Eagles, firebirds and rivers = 350-380

Buzzes, shockwaves and hornets = 320 - 340

Cheetah = 280 - 300

Magnets and wizards = 180- 220

do you hit your lines in the woods? If you can get your head around in front of your motion your accuracy will improve.

I could be wrong (pretty sure Im not) but sidewinder is a woman. Not that I'm saying that matters or anything, and yes she is pretty spot on. I've been working a lot on my form over the last three years and done a lot of video taping/comparing/working with pros/practicing and I can tell that she has done her homework and understands the kinetic chain of a great throw in disc golf. :thmbup:

If for some reason I am incorrect sidewinder I humbly apologize:\

do you hit your lines in the woods? If you can get your head around in front of your motion your accuracy will improve.

What exactly are you referring to? I was under the understanding that leading with the head/following your shot with your eyes/head was a bad idea because it keeps your forward momentum going?

I had my throw analyzed by feldy and he told me to keep my head down and stop peaking to follow my shot. Essentially he said to find your disc when your left shoulder (rhbh) comes through on the follow through.

Insight? I'm not saying Felberg is the end all be all in form critique, but he IMO he seems to know what he is talking about.

I could be wrong (pretty sure Im not) but sidewinder is a woman. Not that I'm saying that matters or anything, and yes she is pretty spot on. I've been working a lot on my form over the last three years and done a lot of video taping/comparing/working with pros/practicing and I can tell that she has done her homework and understands the kinetic chain of a great throw in disc golf. :thmbup:

If for some reason I am incorrect sidewinder I humbly apologize:\
You're wrong sister, I'm just a loud mouthed schnook!

What exactly are you referring to? I was under the understanding that leading with the head/following your shot with your eyes/head was a bad idea because it keeps your forward momentum going?

I had my throw analyzed by feldy and he told me to keep my head down and stop peaking to follow my shot. Essentially he said to find your disc when your left shoulder (rhbh) comes through on the follow through.

Insight? I'm not saying Felberg is the end all be all in form critique, but he IMO he seems to know what he is talking about.

I was taught that getting your head around allows you to be more upright at release and more likely to hit your line. I guess different teachers teach different lessons.

I was taught that getting your head around allows you to be more upright at release and more likely to hit your line. I guess different teachers teach different lessons.

Good teachers can teach skills in different ways. Poor teachers can only teach something the way they do it.

Very few good players keep their eyes on the target while they throw. This doesn't make it wrong, of course. It does limit body turn and therefore distance potential.

Beyond Dr. Rick and Ron Russell are their any other great players who watch the target?

Good teachers can teach skills in different ways. Poor teachers can only teach something the way they do it.

Very few good players keep their eyes on the target while they throw. This doesn't make it wrong, of course. It does limit body turn and therefore distance potential.

Beyond Dr. Rick and Ron Russell are their any other great players who watch the target?
Some dude named Climo among many others unless they are going for distance over accuracy.