• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would Women Benefit from Smaller Discs?

Curious to hear the female perspective on this, would they like to see some smaller diameter discs be made available sort of akin to how a women's basketball is slightly smaller than a man's? I think the putting could be a huge boost if there were putters that felt more like a putter to them instead of a Roc. Or if a little less diameter on drivers could give them a bit more leverage to use.

:popcorn:

Or maybe we should make them larger, like softballs in comparison to baseballs? ;)

Of course, the field in softball is about 2/3 the size of a baseball field...so lets make them throw bigger discs from shorter tees! /s

Using basketball as a comparison isn't really valid. Because I can go the other way and say that women using much larger balls for fast pitch softball than men do in baseball and a women's fastball is FAST...I believe in high school and even up into college women pitch faster than men. And there are countless sports where men and women use the same equipment.

Plus there are a lot of shorter, smaller men that play and there are a lot of taller,larger women that play. It would get murky about if said smaller discs were mandatory for female play or optional.

I am also just spitballing, so take what Im saying with a grain of salt, but I dont see the benefit. Im not a woman, but I'm married to one and raising two, and I just don't see it being that advantageous.
I think basketball is a better comparison than softball. In basketball, you have to throw an object into a target from all sorts of random distances. Sound familiar? Professional and most college female basketball players are bigger, faster and stronger compared to the average woman yet they still use a smaller ball than men do. I'm guessing there are reasons for this beyond misogyny? I know that scouts love guys with bigger hands (Kawhi Leonard for example, massive hands and MVP caliber talent for example) and the better you can palm a basketball the better you can control it and generally the tighter your handles. The difference in size between a women's basketball and a men's basketball is small but the difference in performance is like night and day if you're used to one or the other.

How much an advantage slightly smaller diameter discs would be for women, if any, I don't know and definitely worth asking. I think the measurable advantages aren't likely to be large if any. What it boils down to me is, in a game that is so predicated on a disc feeling good/right in your hand, would the benefit lie largely in increased confidence for women/smaller handed?
I don't think I get the question. Do smaller discs go further? Aren't all women throwing the same discs? I guess if women are competing in men's divisions a difference could help level the playing field, but I am not sure smaller discs help gain distance.
I'm not really talking about distance. The women compete against each other, on the same course layout so potential distance gains is a moot point. What I'm wondering is if women/small handed/short-armed people maybe feel the hit better on slightly smaller diameter discs or something or just if smaller discs feel better and they gain confidence which translates to better control. I was watching the 2017 Gentleman's Club Challenge and Catrina Allen and another lead card pro just brutally shanked drives into this rough on an otherwise wide open hole. I saw all of them guilty of Rec division inaccuracy way more than I would expect from FPO, even Paige Pierce who has amazing control and distance. But the putting is where it really looked like the women just had no confidence at all and their putters looked huge in their hands, like if I was putting with an Aero or something.
Just polled the two girls in my office who are both pretty sporty and they are offended at the though of "girls" discs. They say that it's insulting to assume they can't handle regular discs and were quick to point out the number of unathletic and tiny men who play disc golf and why don't they have special discs?
:popcorn:
Okay, absolutely nowhere did I mention or even allude to making women specific discs for women. All I'm saying is, we have a gazillion disc manufacturers now and they pump out different discs like crazy. Would it be terribly awful for companies to make slightly smaller diameter discs for women/children/similar dimension people if the PDGA would allow it and would there be a benefit? So many people want to grow the sport but the courses and the equipment that are constantly getting produced cater to the same glob of established disc golfers.

Another way to look at it is this: Male disc golfers have a huge inventory of discs to pick from to make the bag that feels best to us. Male golfers have a huge inventory of clubs and balls to choose from, female golfers have a decent inventory of shorter clubs and softer balls to choose from. But female disc golfers have whatever the male disc golfers get to choose from, but they can get some of them in pink and in lighter weights and that's supposed to be equitable. :\

Sorry, BD....still don't get any of this. Smaller discs don't really increase distance, I don't honestly buy that they will increase accuracy and I suspect women would find the idea a bit objectionable....my wife did. I get that you were just kind of spitballing here, so I guess my answer to the original thread title is.....no.

I haven't seen anyone throwing Stalkers or Condors for distance which are larger diameter discs. Larger discs give you more glide, but less speed and spin. Try throwing a 33 gallon trash can lid - that's what most kids experience throwing regulation golf discs.

For short armed people - smaller diameter discs will increase spin for sure as you can get the disc further into the power pocket/keep hand on outside edge longer, even with the same exact technique it will increase spin like switching your wheel size on your vehicle with the axel going the same speed. It would also increase release speed due to increased leverage angles you can create on the disc and there would be less drag slowing the disc down in the air.

There's a reason why most of the top distance throwers are built like orangutans. They can create angles of leverage on the disc that alligator arms physically can't.

That's...damn, that actually makes some sense. :| :(

I clicked on the thread expecting to laugh...I'm disturbed how much sense this actually makes.

I think it would help some ladies more so with driving, but even more so with kids.

Also this ^^^ Although the Facebook videos of kids throwing full size discs are hilarious to me because they look so awkward but then throw a shot wayyyyyy better than I ever could :|

Sorry, BD....still don't get any of this. Smaller discs don't really increase distance, I don't honestly buy that they will increase accuracy and I suspect women would find the idea a bit objectionable....my wife did. I get that you were just kind of spitballing here, so I guess my answer to the original thread title is.....no.

Ask your wife what is objectionable about having a greater variety of equipment available to choose from to tailor to her game.

Also this ^^^ Although the Facebook videos of kids throwing full size discs are hilarious to me because they look so awkward but then throw a shot wayyyyyy better than I ever could :|

Thanks for clarifying SW22's sentence. I had a picture in my mind of a lady swatting a kid in the back seat with a disc. :doh:

Why does the WNBA use women's basketballs, but wear men's uniforms? :confused:

I dont think changing the disc would help them at all. Maybe just a different rating system or course par for the women. They get to throw from same tees but the longer holes get a higher par.

Most sports the women have their own rules/equipment. Its more seperated. In disc golf the womens division is like a tag along. It should get its own branch of the pdga. They dont play in the mens division but their ratings and expectations are affected by it.

Idk ... Maybe not. I think the women are doing great right now. Its cool that DG can support men and women for careers. The more money DG gets, the better players will come out

I think the women are doing great right now. Its cool that DG can support men and women for careers.
tenor.gif

Just no way a smaller diameter disc would do anything for FPO or MPO disc golf. There's already guys/gals with tiny hands bombing. A local guy here throws 450, and me being a smart ass said something like "because I have these small hands..." yada..yada..yada...he shows me his tiny hands which mine dwarfed. Now..once they find a way to inject heavier plastic into a smaller rimmed disc, that's... going to change everything instantly imop.

Way too many here are getting wrapped up in the whole gender thing.

And I'm not even certain smaller diameter discs would give some players, male or female, any better ability at spin or control, but isn't it a little quick to dismiss that they wouldn't considering with respect to any disc under 21.0 cm, they don't exist yet.

Considering an innovation in making golf balls fly farther was putting them on taller tees, I'm going to hold back any judgment.

I think starting with shorter tees for the FPO field would be a start in the right direction, and way more doable than a DG manufacturer running and entire line of discs. People always say Paige this, Catrina that, Jennifer etc, but that's 3 or 4 bombers out of the 20 or 30 in the field for a big NT. I love, love love seeing Paige bomb, and Jennifer as well, but when every hole for them is "bombing" that's an issue in my opinion.

Not sure why women are singled out here. It seems the question should be: Would smaller-diameter discs help people (of all ages, shapes, sizes, genders, procreative doodads, etc) with smaller hands?
A related question would be: Should the PDGA allow smaller-diameter discs in tournaments?

My answer to both is: I have no idea. It would be cool to see some A/B testing with kids, for example. As a market idea it seems fine. I'm not sure why the PDGA disc limits are as they are currently.

Why is this an FPO thing? The people it would really help are the youth players. I wish that there was a selection of low diameter discs just so I could give my kids a better option that they would enjoy more.

Why is this an FPO thing? The people it would really help are the youth players. I wish that there was a selection of low diameter discs just so I could give my kids a better option that they would enjoy more.

I think the best I found for my 6yr old is a panther. It's basically a small leopard. He seems to throw a judge pretty well too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the best I found for my 6yr old is a panther. It's basically a small leopard. He seems to throw a judge pretty well too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I throw a Panther too. thanks for making me feel like a real MAN!

Latest posts