• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you attempt a 300' drive over water?

Would you throw over water if the nearest land was 300' away?

• Yes

Votes: 155 50.8%
  • No

Votes: 114 37.4%
  • Only in tournament play

Votes: 36 11.8%

• Total voters
go big or go home. every golfer worth his salt can throw 300' with their feet planted, easy. if you cant, go to a flat field and throw back and forth every day until you can. man up. grip it. rip it. :p

No question I'd do it. It really wouldn't even be something I would consider not doing. If you can throw far enough how is it different from throwing a long drive to a tee with heavy grass, shrubs, and thorns near it.

Heck yeah, I always go for shots like that even though my average drive is only around 325. Either way, it'll be a shot to remember.

I am more of a conservative player so I would probably play it short and rely on a great approach shot. Depending on how well I had been playing previously in the round though, I might just be tempted to do it.

There would be zero worry in my mind throwing over water at 300 ft. Wouldn't even use a distance driver for the shot unless there was still a ways to go after the water.

I'd prob do it even though I voted only in a tournament. I get skiddish when it comes to long water shots...

I should prob start doing some stretching, and a little yoga meditation before to loosen me up.

There would be zero worry in my mind throwing over water at 300 ft. Wouldn't even use a distance driver for the shot unless there was still a ways to go after the water.

Good call. My wildcat sank but my impact made it without a problem. Granted my wcat hit a small branch but the shorter driver turned out to be an easier shot.

Learn to control a floating disc and you won't have to worry about anything except getting that disc as close to the pin as possible.
If you succeed...great.
If you fail...no lost disc, only lost ego.

I'm with those who have been saying "dig out an old disc and let it fly".

I'd have a hard time passing up on a challenge like that, especially since my (wide open) drives are now consistently around 350 feet.

Maybe with an old disc...or a DX that I didn't really like. The risk of something going a little wrong is just too great to use the good plastic.

This question should be rephrased as throwing over a lake that is 60 feet shorter than your max drive.

For a 400' thrower, a 300' lake is nothing. For a 250' thrower, with no options to lay up, it's bad design.

The real excitement comes when carrying a lake is roughly equal to your average drive. Do you gun it, counting on an above-average drive? (Yes, but maybe not with my best driver).

If it was 60' less than my max drive then sure, why not? If you sit there and know it is getting wet, guess what will happen?

I put no but if I had a disc I was ready to lose that I could thumber or tommy; maybe, but unless it was a tourny, which I dont do, then it is likely a no.

how deep is the lake? I might be more willing if I thought I could get my Disc Diver on it.

I would go for it. On my recent trip to Wichita hole 18 at Oak Park almost meets this description. It is dead straight with things blocking layups to the left or right with a water carry of about 270-275ft with the hole being roughly 20-30 feet past the water. My friend and I cleared it safely but most less advanced players(4 in water when we played it) ended up wading waist deep through it to find their disc. I have no idea how anyone ever gets started with disc golf in that city almost every other hole on every course we played had water hazards. I would have been so angry as a beginner.

nrjat.jpg

Although I said yes, it depends on a lot of factors. Besides course conditions such as wind, trees, etc., a lot would depend on if I had a driver with me that I didn't mind losing. And it would also depend how I was playing that day. Risk/Reward.

Although I don't play in a tournaments, if I was in one and I came up to this situation, I'd be more apt to consider the benefits on this hole. Take the drop and a par or even bogey? Where am I in the standings if I even know. Are there other holes where I can make up the extra throws? Lot's to consider.

Latest posts