• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you attempt a 300' drive over water?

Would you throw over water if the nearest land was 300' away?

• Yes

Votes: 155 50.8%
  • No

Votes: 114 37.4%
  • Only in tournament play

Votes: 36 11.8%

• Total voters
If it is from a tee and there is little to no wind then yes. If the wind is terrible or it is raining tough then I might still do it but it would be more questionable. Sounds like a crazy hole though.

Piece of cake. My home course has multiple holes similar to this. People get way to pysched out around water. Just pretend its not there and take your deuce.

I've got water issues and I know it's completely mental...but unless I had to and I had an extra Surge SS on me....no way I'd try it...

Of course, it;s just psychological. Water means wide open air above it.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=2030&mode=gal&view=&hole=&page=3#
Here is the last hole at Winter Park in Kewaunee. I designed it this way for an Advanced Am player to almost always be able to easily reach it, minus the psychological issue. But if you want to lay up and not accept the reward for taking the risk, you can play all dry to the left and around, but you will NOT deuce and probably not par. Also, assuming most players are RHBH and discs fade left at the end, I chose this diagonal direction, such that a less than perfect shot which fades too much, will have less distance required to clear the water (only 150' across directly to the left).

Hole #8 at Madisonville City is quite the mental challenge, being 410' to the pin and about ~350' to land.

Yes, I've been wet ... more than once.

:D

I can throw 320-370. I can't imagine getting there with a disc I didnt mind sacrificing. I consider myself a go for it player though, so I'd probably try. In my experience using crap discs that don't perform anymore will end up almost immediately in the water. If I just use my good plastic that i'm used to throwing i can usually make it.

eh, but talk is cheap. wouldnt know till i was on the tee staring over it feeling the wind and pondering how much i wanna hold on to my premium plastic.

The problem I've found with old beater discs or dedicated water discs is that if you only throw them over the water and you don't do that very often then you don't get the experience of how that disc flies. So when it comes time to cross the water you're throwing a riskier disc on a risky shot. Just my $0.02.

ERic

I see your point but when you come across a hole that you'd even consider dragging out a dedicated "loser" disc it's probably because the hole isn't going to play well for you anyway. If it were you'd get out your regular rotation disc and wing it. So I'd say and I do have a "loser" disc that I use. Am I as consistent or more important is the disc consistent? Probably not. But I haven't lost the damned thing yet!;)

That being said. I'd probably not throw at this hole in question. That's about the max I throw so I'm pretty sure I'd get wet. I might get lucky but I'm betting I'd probably get psyched out and throw it about half way across.

I played a course this weekend and there was a hole that had you teeing off over a small lake. The pin was 400' away and the other side of the lake was 300'. Even though I can consistently throw 360' at a football field, I was afraid to attempt the 300' over water.

I was curious how many people would tee off directly over a lake if the nearest land was 300' away?

No.
And iwouldn't play in a tourney that required such a throw.
Save that kind of stuff for an NT.

The problem I've found with old beater discs or dedicated water discs is that if you only throw them over the water and you don't do that very often then you don't get the experience of how that disc flies. So when it comes time to cross the water you're throwing a riskier disc on a risky shot. Just my $0.02.

ERic
with the exception of a tye dye , if it was only 300 id throw my best disc.

cause your right about those throw away ,dont care about discs , most of the time their so beat up or way to light and theyll just anny right into the water. I Learned that downtown playing at MO. Your better off throwing something overstable or a stable disc with alot of fade.

Hole 9 @ Bethany Lakes in Allen TX is an estimated 300' to clear the pond at the farthest point. I tossed a putter over it last time I played it.

I picked "no", i am just starting to throw near 300ft on flat ground consistantly, so assuming no elevations involved, I don't think I could clear the hazard. Madisonville DGC has a hole like this, I played the alternate tee.

Latest posts