• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you attempt a 300' drive over water?

Would you throw over water if the nearest land was 300' away?

• Yes

Votes: 155 50.8%
  • No

Votes: 114 37.4%
  • Only in tournament play

Votes: 36 11.8%

• Total voters
Let me clarify. The tee pad is 10' from a lake. The other side of the lake is 300'. There are no trees or elevation change. There is nowhere to lay up. You cannot go around the lake. Your choice is throw a disc 300' over the water or skip the hole.

My brother and I skipped the hole in casual play because we thought it wasn't worth losing a disc. In a tournament you have to throw or be disqualified.

That is a BS rule for tournament DQs. Are you sure there is not a drop zone?

Also, if you cannot go around the lake do you have to swim? :p

Since I cannot throw close enough to a 400' pin to get a birdie putt, I would normally play safe and layup somewhere on the shore (if that were an option). I am thinking I would be in the drink 1-2 throws out of 10, so why take that risk if there is no reward?

I get scared throwing over 200 over water, but I thought I had popeye muscles and was throwing with the wind.

when I was learning to play I used to get really nervous and usually either throw the correct disc for the shot really poorly or a "water disc" that really had no chance of going over anyway. I would lose a disc in the water

I remember those days at Cam Yards. Good times!

Oh, and I would throw a thumber skip shot.....like at the 2 minute mark of this video:

Last edited:
well, I would let my friends shoot first...then base my answer off the results.
1. both friends put it in the water=NO
2. one friend makes it, another doesn't=NO
3. both make it=YES (don't want to look like a wuss)
4. if my friends use this same logic and make me go first=NO
Ditto

Funny to see this thread for the first time today. I just got back from the farm at founders which has two big water holes. I don't throw big d but almost always attempt 'em. I think water is only second to elevation as far as fun goes. First one I nailed ( hole two) and it made my day, second one I lost my z wildcat :( yes it sucks to lose a disc but I'd rather lose one to the water than to the woods. I suggest ( as stated earlier) throwing a disc your familliar with. I tossed another across ( riskey I know) and nailed it- though it did not make me feel any better. I do agree that a bailout is a must.
Smack talk: with all the distance many of you claim, what's the problem? Afraid that 300ft might be measured at 12 inches per foot?!

I figure if you're iffy about throwing 300 feet over water and decide not to, you'll probably never know if you're capable of doing it. You throw a disc in the water all it does is make you want to get better so playing it safe isn't even an option. I like that you called people out on their D. ;)

Smack talk: with all the distance many of you claim, what's the problem? Afraid that 300ft might be measured at 12 inches per foot?!
I already said 200 and over scare me and I thought I was a hero to try 300 even though I did not make it.

Hole #18 at Winter Park is pretty much all water from the Blue Tee: "Blue tee plays 305'. Across a pond! No elevation change. Tee to basket is 305', tee to edge of pond is 265', blue tee over to red tee is 175', or play it safe without crossing water, and throw left along the access road (you won't birdie or ace though!). Water is OB, special drop zone is road area behind the red tee. Blue tee plays entirely across water without any fairway."

The fact that there's no elevation change and the grass around the perimeter around the pond grows to about 4' above ground level really makes this hole feel even longer, since when the pond is full and the grass is high you are forced to play a somewhat higher shot. I've lost several discs to this pond, but I've also cleared it and gone DEEP into the thick woods just past the narrow landing area. I used to only use an expendable disc, but now I'm out of those after losing my last 2 on this hole.

I already said 200 and over scare me and I thought I was a hero to try 300 even though I did not make it.

Not directed at you. Props to you for going for it! If you ever make it to the mitten hit me up and I'll give you a disc ( prob. a crappy innova)

If I regularly threw 300+ I would, but I do not have that kind of distance yet. I tried a 200' last week but it caught a branch and went in . . . had I missed the branch it would have been fine!

Hole 15 at Deer Lakes is over a lake. The actual water shot is only like 150 ft, but its a little less than 300 feet from the white tees. I throw from red, which is an easily makeable shot.

The problem I've found with old beater discs or dedicated water discs is that if you only throw them over the water and you don't do that very often then you don't get the experience of how that disc flies. So when it comes time to cross the water you're throwing a riskier disc on a risky shot. Just my $0.02.

ERic

Agreed 100% also have same experience with my crappy dragon which has an affinity for diving right into the water evrytime!

i said no because even if i was able to throw over 300 in the field there is always the chance you shank your drive and watch it go in the water then wonder if you will ever see that disc again

If it was way down hill, maybe. Down hill throws are the only ones I can get to right at 300ft...on a good day, perfect throw. (still pretty new) Was getting some good snap yesterday, can't wait to get out to a longer coarse and let a few rip. :)

Throwing over water doesn't bother me, it's throwing beside water that scares the bejezus out of me.

Latest posts