• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you still consider it an ace?

By my definition (and I believe that are many that will agree with me), an ace is when your disc goes in the basket when you throw it from the teebox.

An ace in a round has to be on your first shot and an ace in practice can be on any shot as long as it is made from the tee box. I really don't get why this is so unacceptable to some of you.

So if not an "ace", then what do you call the shot, in a tournament, when someone re-tees after going OB or lost disc, etc. and their next tee shot goes into the basket?

Is the same true for a DNF? I've always wondered about that. What about the rounds that are scored as 999?
DNF and 999 are the same thing, or at least the same effect. They do not count towards your rating.

You can play 17 complete holes, drive on 18, upshot on 18, and then fail to putt out to DNF and the round won't count on your ratings... no matter how good or bad it was.

Some people will intentionally DNF as to not bring down their rating when they're having a bad round. In the end that really only "hurts" them by keeping their rating artificially high and forcing them to play up in tougher divisions. But to some I guess the ego boost of keeping a higher rating is worth it... :|

COUNT IT!

that way when it happens to me i won't have to repost the same thread :D

Congrats on landing a disc in the basket from the tee box......... otherwise known as an ACE..... on your second shot :D

I didn't say I wouldn't call it an ace. I would call it an ace. You just wouldn't score it as a 1 on the score card.

So if not an "ace", then what do you call the shot, in a tournament, when someone re-tees after going OB or lost disc, etc. and their next tee shot goes into the basket?

Interesting. There really should be a cutoff point sooner in the round than that so that someone doesn't do what you just mentioned. The rating should mean something and if people are cutting corners like that...well, that's pretty lame.
Maybe once you've played 2/3 of the round or something, then your round counts no matter what.
Isn't there a minimum round rating or something?

DNF and 999 are the same thing, or at least the same effect. They do not count towards your rating.

You can play 17 complete holes, drive on 18, upshot on 18, and then fail to putt out to DNF and the round won't count on your ratings... no matter how good or bad it was.

Some people will intentionally DNF as to not bring down their rating when they're having a bad round. In the end that really only "hurts" them by keeping their rating artificially high and forcing them to play up in tougher divisions. But to some I guess the ego boost of keeping a higher rating is worth it... :|

Hence the difference between an ace in a round and an ace in practice.

An ace in a round has to be on your first shot and an ace in practice can be on any shot as long as it is made from the tee box. I really don't get why this is so unacceptable to some of you.

I admit that there is a difference, in that an ace in a round, especially a tournament round, is more special and unique than one hit in practice. But that doesn't mean that an ace hit in practice doesn't count as an ace.
I understand you are making a distinction between a practice ace and one during a round. The argument ericj and I and others are making is that an ace by definition is completing a hole in one shot. If you are not keeping score and or throwing a lot of extra shots or just practicing then you can't have an ace. If it doesn't count as a "1" for your score it's not an ace. It might be a fantastic shot but it's not an ace. If I hit my first shot on a 150 foot straight hole that's an ace. However if my second shot on a par 4 goes in from 280 feet away that's not an ace. however I would say the 2nd shot i described is a much better and more impressive shot. What we're really taliking about is the definition of "ace" not about how great a shot actually is. the original shot in question was a great shot, just not an ace.

I once had a guy tell me had 100's of aces.

Of course I was impressed..............................................................................................., until he then told me "yeah, I would have my girlfriend stand on the other side of the bush (it was a blind hole) and she would tell me how far off I was each time. I'd just keep throwing til it went in."

Sorry - those might be shots that went in from the tee. But they are not aces in my book.

I've got a couple of those - "empty the bag during warm up and one of them ends up going in" shots - I don't include them in my ace count. 28 years - 62 aces.

I didn't say I wouldn't call it an ace. I would call it an ace. You just wouldn't score it as a 1 on the score card.
So you'd allow an "ace" that did not win the "ace" pot? :|

Right, that's been said before. It all comes down to your definition of an ace. Where are you getting your definition from? Maybe you have a more official source that what I've seen. If you are just comparing your opinion of the definition to my opinion of the definition, then we still haven't really decided anything have we?
I would hope that by now in this thread someone would have posted an OFFICIAL definition, but I have not seen that yet and I'm not sure that there is one.

I understand you are making a distinction between a practice ace and one during a round. The argument ericj and I and others are making is that an ace by definition is completing a hole in one shot. If you are not keeping score and or throwing a lot of extra shots or just practicing then you can't have an ace. If it doesn't count as a "1" for your score it's not an ace. It might be a fantastic shot but it's not an ace. If I hit my first shot on a 150 foot straight hole that's an ace. However if my second shot on a par 4 goes in from 280 feet away that's not an ace. however I would say the 2nd shot i described is a much better and more impressive shot. What we're really taliking about is the definition of "ace" not about how great a shot actually is. the original shot in question was a great shot, just not an ace.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner.

Personally, I wouldn't count them in my ace count either, but I wouldn't be offended or bothered if someone else did.

I once had a guy tell me had 100's of aces.

Of course I was impressed..............................................................................................., until he then told me "yeah, I would have my girlfriend stand on the other side of the bush (it was a blind hole) and she would tell me how far off I was each time. I'd just keep throwing til it went in."

Sorry - those might be shots that went in from the tee. But they are not aces in my book.

I've got a couple of those - "empty the bag during warm up and one of them ends up going in" shots - I don't include them in my ace count. 28 years - 62 aces.

Interesting. There really should be a cutoff point sooner in the round than that so that someone doesn't do what you just mentioned. The rating should mean something and if people are cutting corners like that...well, that's pretty lame.
Maybe once you've played 2/3 of the round or something, then your round counts no matter what.
Isn't there a minimum round rating or something?

Two issues there... one is that you have to allow DNF for situations like injuries (real or faked). Secondly is that you can't really calculate ratings for incomplete rounds, and you can't really force a player to finish either. So you're stuck with allowing DNF's.

But like I said there's no real advantage for a player to DNF on a bad round. It only forces them to maintain a higher rating which forces them into more difficult skill divisions. The only real advantage of which I can think would be for sponsored players who are required to maintain a minimum rating or get incentives based on their rating. But I would expect that sponsors with such clauses in their contracts are smart enough to look at tournament results and factor in DNF's.

So you're declaring yourself the source of all knowledge and official decrees on all things disc golf I guess?!
Nope, never said that at all. I agree with magictenor1 and I'm just using a message board for what it was intended: discussion and debate.

Oh, okay...just making sure.
This is turning into one of those, "Is Not! Is Too!" debates.

Seriously,
is there an official definition out there? ...from the PDGA or something like that?

Nope, never said that at all. I agree with magictenor1 and I'm just using a message board for what it was intended: discussion and debate.

Personally, I wouldn't count them in my ace count either, but I wouldn't be offended or bothered if someone else did.

+1
I would not count it in my ace total, but that is just me.

Some people will intentionally DNF as to not bring down their rating when they're having a bad round.

Yet another reason I refer to ratings as statistical anomalies.

I think that some of you will have to start thinking of your ace disc as your great shot disc.

Not really the same ring to it. =/

If you look at a dictionary definition of the word "ace", even in a non golf/disc golf context you will find many references to two things

1. Specifically the number '1'. (how many spots are there on an "ace" card in a deck of playing cards?)
2. Perfection or best of the best. ("I aced that test". "The team is bringing out their ace closer".)

As for people DNF'ing out of rounds to preserve their ratings, the one logical explanation is that they are sponsored players who's sponsorship package is ratings dependent and don't want to see their bennies get cut or eliminated for having a few bad rounds.

I've seen a few people quit in tournaments, I have never once heard any of them declare it was to save their rating (before or after doing so). I think that must be one of those urban (DG) legends.

Anybody have first hand experience with someone doing this?

The thing is...when you take 25 shots off the tee box, it is not like you are taking a cumulative score using all of those 25 shots. You're not going to drive 25 times, go pick up one of your discs, putt it in and call that a 26 on that hole.
You're going to treat each of them individually as one shot each. Therefore if one of them goes in, it DID go in on 1 shot.
Therefore the aspect of the definition that you put forth doesn't disqualify a practice ace from counting as an ace.

If you look at a dictionary definition of the word "ace", even in a non golf/disc golf context you will find many references to two things

1. Specifically the number '1'. (how many spots are there on an "ace" card in a deck of playing cards?)
2. Perfection or best of the best. ("I aced that test". "The team is bringing out their ace closer".)

As for people DNF'ing out of rounds to preserve their ratings, the one logical explanation is that they are sponsored players who's sponsorship package is ratings dependent and don't want to see their bennies get cut or eliminated for having a few bad rounds.

Latest posts