• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you still consider it an ace?

It depends. If you took the shot with a Roc, it doesn't count. If you took the shot with a Buzzz, it counts.

Just kidding.

Don't we have this conversation almost as often as the whole Roc v. Buzzz conversation?

Don't we have this conversation almost as often as the whole Roc v. Buzzz conversation?

Or the "What is Par" question.
I'm emotionally invested in this one now though. Dang thing sucked me right in this time.
:)

I've seen a few people quit in tournaments, I have never once heard any of them declare it was to save their rating (before or after doing so). I think that must be one of those urban (DG) legends.

Anybody have first hand experience with someone doing this?

Sorta. Tournament a short while back where a guy sucked it up his first round and was DFL by nine strokes. When his card was turned in after the second/final round there were scores (even worse than the first round) for all holes except a "DNF" on the last hole.

I never heard him admit he did it to protect his rating but he was around after the tournament and there didn't seem to be any injury.

Oh, okay...just making sure.
This is turning into one of those, "Is Not! Is Too!" debates.
That's all it will ever be because the only reason to keep track of "aces" is bragging rights.

Seriously,
is there an official definition out there? ...from the PDGA or something like that?
No and there probably never will be. Becauuse it's only bragging rights and because there isn't any real reason to keep track of that statistic, there probably will never be a formal definition, nor should there be.

I never heard him admit he did it to protect his rating but he was around after the tournament and there didn't seem to be any injury.
Protection from who, zee Germans? ;) The only reasons I could see to "protect" your rating would be if you're looking to get sponsored and are misguided on what they're looking for or you want to sandbag and are willing to give up the benefits of sandbagging (winning) to be allowed to do it more. By the time you get sponsored your sponsor will probably know you at least somwhat on a personal and professional level, so a DNF will probably count more against you as an ambassador to the sport than a crappy round alone would.

The thing is...when you take 25 shots off the tee box, it is not like you are taking a cumulative score using all of those 25 shots. You're not going to drive 25 times, go pick up one of your discs, putt it in and call that a 26 on that hole.
You're going to treat each of them individually as one shot each. Therefore if one of them goes in, it DID go in on 1 shot.
Therefore the aspect of the definition that you put forth doesn't disqualify a practice ace from counting as an ace.
If that's the case than everyone would be able to record any score they want if you keep throwing shots until you get one you want to count. If each shot is an individual shot then I make every hole in one shot. My last shot was an individual shot counted seperate from all the rest and therefore a 1. that is some really backward logic.

What about Ace Race aces? Shorter tees intentionally set up so there are aces. WHAT ABOUT THAT?!?

You're taking my statement out of context. I am talking about practice...not about scoring a round.

If that's the case than everyone would be able to record any score they want if you keep throwing shots until you get one you want to count. If each shot is an individual shot then I make every hole in one shot. My last shot was an individual shot counted seperate from all the rest and therefore a 1. that is some really backward logic.

If each shot is an individual shot then I make every hole in one shot. My last shot was an individual shot counted seperate from all the rest and therefore a 1. that is some really backward logic.

In the case you described, you are talking about taking a 2nd shot from where your drive landed. I'm talking about taking a new drive.
You're suggesting that wherever you landed just became a new teebox.

Hence the difference between an ace in a round and an ace in practice.

An ace in a round has to be on your first shot and an ace in practice can be on any shot as long as it is made from the tee box. I really don't get why this is so unacceptable to some of you.

I admit that there is a difference, in that an ace in a round, especially a tournament round, is more special and unique than one hit in practice. But that doesn't mean that an ace hit in practice doesn't count as an ace.

I saw this first hand. I was playing in my first tournament last year, and my card was sent to start on #16, as dead straight shot 180ft. We all took practice shots and one guy got an Ace. We all cheered and clapped, and we even signed his disc, but it didn't count for the round, and he didn't get anything for it, except a good feeling.

Seriously,
is there an official definition out there? ...from the PDGA or something like that?
No and there probably never will be. Becauuse it's only bragging rights and because there isn't any real reason to keep track of that statistic, there probably will never be a formal definition, nor should there be.
But there is a legit reason for defining what an ace is when it comes to paying out an ace pot. I can easily see the scenario where a player re-tees for an OB and throws the re-teed disc directly into the basket and expects to be paid on the ace pot. That could get ugly if the TD hasn't previously defined the payout criteria or "what is an ace".

IMO it seems logical that an "ace" was originally meant to mean throwing the disc into the basket with only one throw. Combined with the use of terms like "birdie", "bogie", etc. all of which start counting from a tee shot, it is again logical that an "ace" means throwing the disc from the tee to the basket in one throw.

Disc golf is a game and with most games there is an element of scoring by which measure the winners and losers.

"Birdies", "pars", "bogies" all deal with the score you logged on a given hole. As such it's logical that the term "ace" should also be relative to a score on a hole.

Keeping score implies the playing of the game.

It's generally accepted that an "ace" is better than a "birdie", "eagle", or "albatross", which must mean that it's a lower score. That drives the required score for an "ace" down to a single stroke and eliminates the possibility of an "ace" on a re-tee for any reason.

Through all this logical progression it makes sense to me that the purest form of an "ace" is the first and only throw from a tee into a basket as part of a game of disc golf (as defined by the standard rules).

Websters seems to generally agree:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ace

But clearly the term "ace" has evolved as many people use phrases like "fairway ace", "practice ace", "warm-up ace", and even "empty your bag ace". IMO these are terms invented or used by those wanting to feel better about certain throws, some of which may be fantastic, but are not "real aces". "Fairway ace" is probably the most liberally egregious [mis]use of the the term "ace", as the user has determined that a second or greater throw of some random distance from the basket qualifies for memebership in the "ace" club. Given that usage example I have so many "10-meter circle aces" I've lost track.

I think a good rule of thumb is that if it didn't happen in a round of disc golf or you have to qualify your "ace" with some other word in front of it... like "practice" or "fairway", then it's not a "real" ace.

Well said Ericj! The fact that the question was asked in the 1st place gives you a clue. I have 5 aces on baskets and I know they were aces, I don't need the forum to tell me that they are.

But there is a legit reason for defining what an ace is when it comes to paying out an ace pot. I can easily see the scenario where a player re-tees for an OB and throws the re-teed disc directly into the basket and expects to be paid on the ace pot. That could get ugly if the TD hasn't previously defined the payout criteria or "what is an ace".

IMO it seems logical that an "ace" was originally meant to mean throwing the disc into the basket with only one throw. Combined with the use of terms like "birdie", "bogie", etc. all of which start counting from a tee shot, it is again logical that an "ace" means throwing the disc from the tee to the basket in one throw.

Disc golf is a game and with most games there is an element of scoring by which measure the winners and losers.

"Birdies", "pars", "bogies" all deal with the score you logged on a given hole. As such it's logical that the term "ace" should also be relative to a score on a hole.

Keeping score implies the playing of the game.

It's generally accepted that an "ace" is better than a "birdie", "eagle", or "albatross", which must mean that it's a lower score. That drives the required score for an "ace" down to a single stroke and eliminates the possibility of an "ace" on a re-tee for any reason.

Through all this logical progression it makes sense to me that the purest form of an "ace" is the first and only throw from a tee into a basket as part of a game of disc golf (as defined by the standard rules).

Websters seems to generally agree:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ace

But clearly the term "ace" has evolved as many people use phrases like "fairway ace", "practice ace", "warm-up ace", and even "empty your bag ace". IMO these are terms invented or used by those wanting to feel better about certain throws, some of which may be fantastic, but are not "real aces". "Fairway ace" is probably the most liberally egregious [mis]use of the the term "ace", as the user has determined that a second or greater throw of some random distance from the basket qualifies for memebership in the "ace" club. Given that usage example I have so many "10-meter circle aces" I've lost track.

I think a good rule of thumb is that if it didn't happen in a round of disc golf or you have to qualify your "ace" with some other word in front of it... like "practice" or "fairway", then it's not a "real" ace.

Eric, i love the 2 cents thing, classic

well said! Why not just keep it simple? practice round or tournament or competetive round with the buddies..... an ace is bangin' the chains on the 1st throw from the tee :D

Well said Ericj! The fact that the question was asked in the 1st place gives you a clue. I have 5 aces on baskets and I know they were aces, I don't need the forum to tell me that they are.

yeah, but were they witnessed? sorry had to go there :D

Latest posts