• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you still consider it an ace?

hell i'd take it. i've came pretty close to acing one at bear creek too. send me a pm next time y'all go out there. me and a couple buddys usually play on sundays and i think this sun we might head out to bear creek unless voted on otherwise.

-trev

My home course's baby hole is a little 198 footer with an OB road left. I usually will tee off from it with a DX Aviar (sometimes against my better judgment when the wind is not favorable for this) and throw a LHBH hyzer. If I go OB, or I hyzer it too much, its not against me to get another Aviar out (or maybe even a D Drone if its really windy) and try again.

For whatever reason as I let that shot go, I want that attempt to be parked, but I don't ever want it to stick in the basket. The very fact that I knew it wasn't on my first attempt would mean that I could never really enjoy it, or legitimately add it to my ace count.

To me, a "tin cup" ace is like kissing your sister. If anyone else feels differently about that, more power to them. I'm not going to get in a pissing content over what's a legitimate ace and what isn't. My sense of self worth, physical health, financial well being, or eternal salvation isn't exactly riding on it.

Stroke implies that you are scoring a round and when scoring a round you don't take practice throws. Disc golf shouldn't be like going to Vegas and playing 5 slot machines at the same time. All you do when you play 25 discs a round is ramp up the luck factor or the probability of hitting a great throw.

Yeah, we should definitely all be MORE serious while playing disc golf. This way, the integrity of the sport is preserved. We wouldn't want people to hold our little hobby in low esteem because of loose adherence to sport guidelines.

If I shank a 30 ft putt, I'm probably going to take another shot for PRACTICE. Because guess what, if it's not a sanctioned tourney or an organized mini it's ALL practice. I'm not going to count extra throws toward my round's score but I happen to need the practice of throwing extra shots and trying different strategies.

Oh, and for relevance...it was an ace.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. But think about it, where else is this allowed (multiple disc throwing)? You don't see people using multiple bowling lanes, playing with 2 or 3 basketballs at the same time, etc. Too me it's kind of like using a shot gun on paper targets, yeah you're gonna hit the bullseye but it didn't take hardly any skill. To me, DG is a lot more fun if every throw has more of a weighted consequence rather than playing 3 or 4 discs at once. You maybe building up some physical practice skills but not any mental skills playing multiple discs IMHO. But play the way you want, I'm not one for performing lewd acts upon parades. Just don't get mad when I call out your ace.

playing with 2 or 3 basketballs at the same time

Ever seen a basketball practice...the idea is that you take multiple shots at the same target to build muscle memory of that shot. Same thing can be accomplished in disc golf.

I'm not one for performing lewd acts upon parades.

So, during a round, you never played your shot or putt or whatever, then picked up your unplayed disc and shot it at the basket? For example, you never pick up your driver (after you already putted) and put it in the chains? It's just some extra practice built into the game...it doesn't count on your card. (It goes without saying that you don't do this during a tourney-that's obviously against PDGA rules)

Your whole reasoning on what is an ace and what isn't is very legalistic...like...if we were having an ace competition and everybody was putting in a dollar a shot or whatever and after 25 or so shots someone puts one in....that's NOT an ace? Because it wasn't a "real" game?

I think your being just a little bit elitist...it is disc golf...not that I don't obsess over it but come on...

Ever seen a basketball practice...the idea is that you take multiple shots at the same target to build muscle memory of that shot. Same thing can be accomplished in disc golf.

So, during a round, you never played your shot or putt or whatever, then picked up your unplayed disc and shot it at the basket?

First, see my point on how that doesn't help the mental aspect of the game. Second point, no not really, I play really casual rounds from time to time especially if I'm in a funk but I definitely don't make a habit of putting with drivers, that messes up my muscle memory with putting with putters.

I wouldn't say I'm elitist per se, I just prefer to play the game generally the same way each time just for the sake of having a frame of reference.

ok first of all what with the taking 25 shots?!?! allright heres what happened...one of the guys i was talkin to said he was gonna take a shot at the basket, i said allright and watched him throw....then afterwards i wanted to see if i could get closer. after throwing ONCE...we sat there and bs'd for a little while, smoked a cigarette and talked about different ****.....then i decide, "well i think im gonna try to get a round in before dark", and so i step up and hit it....after hitting the ace or par whatever you wanna call it....i decided to just go to the house, why play the rest of the round...its getting dark, i cant top that, so hell i just went and got my disc and left....so yea it was technically my 2nd throw, but I WAS PLANNING to play the round, and that WAS my first shot of "the round"...i wasnt even planning to play the first one, several minutes before to be my "shot" i was just goofin off...

oh and i dont throw 25 shots until i get a good one...
sometimes i just go out to the course to have fun and bs, wheres the fun when you gotta be so serious????

and if you think im dis-crediting the word "ace" i guess thats your opinion
but thats all good because i still have a "true" ace a year ago and im not trying to dis-credit anyone or the term by any means...iwas just asking a question

Like you said, postponed due to darkness, I'd call it an ace. It's not like you emptied your bag.

How many throws does it take to get to the center of an ace pot?

By my definition (and I believe that are many that will agree with me), an ace is when your disc goes in the basket when you throw it from the teebox.

Okay Chris answer this question for me...

You are the TD at a big A-Tier PDGA event with 200+ players. The ace pot is $1000, really nice money.

The event is in its final round and I'm no where near cashing. So far no one has scored an ace. My card comes up to a short 150ish foot strung "island" hole and I see my chance....

When my turn comes up I tee off and my disc blows past the basket missing the island... OB. Rather than marking the lie where it crossed OB I elect to rethrow from the tee (per rule 803.09.B.1). Now throwing '3' my shot misses the basket again and lands OB. I re-tee again. Throwing '5' my disc hyzers in and misses the basket but lands on the island. Per rule 803.06.A.2 I delcare that lie "unplayable" and elect to re-tee again. Throwing '7'.... repeat ad nauseam.

Eventually on my 127th throw from the tee I land a disc in the basket. I write down my score for the hole: 253 and proceed to play out the round.

The round finishes and I'm the only player with an ace.

So the question for you Mr. TD is: Are you gonna pay me the $1000 ace pot?

Just think how many players who are deep out of the money who would seriously consider giving up an extra 10-20 strokes if they did. The park curfew would likely hit before the awards were handed out.
:eek:

My home course's baby hole is a little 198 footer with an OB road left. I usually will tee off from it with a DX Aviar (sometimes against my better judgment when the wind is not favorable for this) and throw a LHBH hyzer. If I go OB, or I hyzer it too much, its not against me to get another Aviar out (or maybe even a D Drone if its really windy) and try again.

For whatever reason as I let that shot go, I want that attempt to be parked, but I don't ever want it to stick in the basket. The very fact that I knew it wasn't on my first attempt would mean that I could never really enjoy it, or legitimately add it to my ace count.

To me, a "tin cup" ace is like kissing your sister. If anyone else feels differently about that, more power to them. I'm not going to get in a pissing content over what's a legitimate ace and what isn't. My sense of self worth, physical health, financial well being, or eternal salvation isn't exactly riding on it.

At a tournament I played in a few weeks ago, we had a hole that was a temp hole in the woods, and it couldn't have been longer than 100ft. I threw my putter, and missed the chains by about 3 inches, but if I would have aced it, I would have counted it, and I would have collected the $100 in the Ace pot.

In a tournament all your strokes count, including when you throw your putter from the basket to the next tee box...that's how a tournament works. For a tournament ace pot you have to hit the ace on your first throw during the course of the tournament round.

In a casual round you may drive 3 or 4 times from a teebox. Of course you're going to card only your first drive if you are going to record a score or if you are playing against someone. If you're 3rd drive goes in the basket, you wouldn't record it as a "1" on the scorecard because it wasn't your first drive, but you could still legitimately say that you have hit an ace on that hole.

You are the TD at a big A-Tier PDGA event with 200+ players. The ace pot is $1000, really nice money.

The event is in its final round and I'm no where near cashing. So far no one has scored an ace. My card comes up to a short 150ish foot strung "island" hole and I see my chance....

When my turn comes up I tee off and my disc blows past the basket missing the island... OB. Rather than marking the lie where it crossed OB I elect to rethrow from the tee (per rule 803.09.B.1). Now throwing '3' my shot misses the basket again and lands OB. I re-tee again. Throwing '5' my disc hyzers in and misses the basket but lands on the island. Per rule 803.06.A.2 I delcare that lie "unplayable" and elect to re-tee again. Throwing '7'.... repeat ad nauseam.

Eventually on my 127th throw from the tee I land a disc in the basket. I write down my score for the hole: 253 and proceed to play out the round.

I think we all know the answer to this one. no way! good point. you can throw all the extra practice shots you want but to be an ace or "1" on a hole it is your 1st shot ie the one that counts for your score.

In a tournament all your strokes count, including when you throw your putter from the basket to the next tee box...that's how a tournament works. For a tournament ace pot you have to hit the ace on your first throw during the course of the tournament round.

In a casual round you may drive 3 or 4 times from a teebox. Of course you're going to card only your first drive if you are going to record a score or if you are playing against someone. If you're 3rd drive goes in the basket, you wouldn't record it as a "1" on the scorecard because it wasn't your first drive, but you could still legitimately say that you have hit an ace on that hole.

Perhaps tournaments should have 'hole-in-one' pools instead of ace pools then. ;)

I think we all know the answer to this one. no way! good point. you can throw all the extra practice shots you want but to be an ace or "1" on a hole it is your 1st shot ie the one that counts for your score.

Hence the difference between an ace in a round and an ace in practice.

An ace in a round has to be on your first shot and an ace in practice can be on any shot as long as it is made from the tee box. I really don't get why this is so unacceptable to some of you.

I admit that there is a difference, in that an ace in a round, especially a tournament round, is more special and unique than one hit in practice. But that doesn't mean that an ace hit in practice doesn't count as an ace.

either way you slice it he made the shot in the basket from the teebox..

i don't see how hard that is to comprehend. sure if he was in a tourney he would'nt score it, but he could still legitamately say that he has made an ace shot on that hole before.

-trev

Just think how many players who are deep out of the money who would seriously consider giving up an extra 10-20 strokes if they did. The park curfew would likely hit before the awards were handed out.
:eek:
Throw enough times trying for the ace and then the round won't even count against your rating because it'll fall below the 2.5 standard deviations/100 pts limit for the round to be counted.

Is the same true for a DNF? I've always wondered about that. What about the rounds that are scored as 999?

Throw enough times trying for the ace and then the round won't even count against your rating because it'll fall below the 2.5 standard deviations/100 pts limit for the round to be counted.