• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith love - post your stories

I've got a 170 Star Wraith that I'm liking. Very, very, very high speed stable with a great fade at the end.

I go back and forth between it and a Blizzard Boss I have. The Boss has more forward fade but the big difference is it's much easier to throw anny and get a giant "s" curve for distance. My Wraith doesn't like to turn at all so it's harder to pull that line off with it. Right now, they're both in the bag.

first disc i ever owned was a wraith. now i kinda wanna try out the gstarrr ones. but i dont throw anything above a speed 9 .

i used to throw a new star for overstable. then a pro for understable. great combo

I used to love throwing Wraiths. They were a staple in my bag for about six years. Incredible distance for BH and FH throws. My favorite one was 168g in Champion plastic and very flat. I would crank it on a FH hyzer and it would bomb even in stiff headwinds. The falling out happened when I lost that particular Wraith at Hornet's Nest in Charlotte. I had the hardest time trying to find one just like it. This is a problem with Innova high speed divers, IMO. I've limited my bag to only one high speed driver, but there is a bit of a void.

Get my biggest drives with blizzard 160 . I know a wraith is capable of much more, but I've seen more 350 ish drives with blizzard wraith than any other driver I carry. Star 170 holds up into the wind for me for around 300, and trust it not turn over. I may try to develop a forehand drive with my star to make it even more useful. I likes my wraiths.

I have a starlight i got for tailwinds and no wind at all and it is not flippy at all. At 370ish is maybe a -2 3 if you are familiar with innova. I was pleasantly surprised

Wraiths are my favorite distance drivers. Champs are the most consistent, so I always have one in my bag. I have thrown other discs farther, but my champ wraiths are just more accurate. I have parked holes that were 400'+ with champ wraiths many times. I have three right now: 175g, 172g, and 165g. I just pick one based on how strong the wind is blowing any particular day.

I have a beat-to-hell star wraith that I found a while back that is retarded flippy. I lost a perfect highlighter green star wraith a while back. I turned it over in the wind and it turned into a hopping roller over/through a fence, and then into the street. I searched for 45mins and couldn't find it anywhere. My buddy and I believe it must have gotten wedged in a passing minivan's front grill. I picked up a bottom stamp star wraith and it is just too understable. I keep looking for a star wraith with a shape I like, but haven't found one yet.

Last edited:
My first real distance driver was a flat top star wraith that got stuck in a treetop 60' high and was never seen since. Stacked up few of those but running out of them. Recent ones have been these pop tops and domey ones that I dislike because of the feel in the hand and glide/turn they have(prefer less glide=more control). I've tried some other molds but no luck so far, closest thing has been discmania's DD that I now have few waiting for the snow to melt. They seem plenty HSS but with smaller fade. Plus they to appear to be pretty flat, atleast the ones I have.

Oh yeah, I throw them FH and BH. Much love.

I've thrown Star, Echo Star, and Champ Wraiths off and on for years. Most have been meathooks for me and I couldn't get a consistent low release. They pop up way too much and the courses I play regularly have many holes with low tree ceilings.
My Champ Wraith seems to do the same thing. I release it the same way as my other drivers and it tends to float up into the air instead of staying straight like I want. Maybe those throws are a bit nose-up so I know I have to work on some things. I'm still figuring out how to throw this disc as I just got it before Winter.

My first Wraith was a DX that is super flippy dippy and must be thrown on an extreme hyzer in order for it to fly. I got sick of trying to throw this way since it's so hard to dial in and I decided to get a Champ. I think it may be a bit too fast for me as I have yet to hit 350' but I am looking to max my distance this year.

Here's the thing about a speed 11 in the Wraith's stability range. Most rec players don't get any more distance out of speed 12 or up and the Wraith covers every stability range thanks to Innova's inconsistencies. Hence, 98% of those speed 12-14 discs in the rec player's bag are a total waste of space, weight, money, and time. There, I said it.

Most rec players would be much better off replacing these spots with slower discs and learning to range them and in the process, learning proper form. If your same stability discs don't land spaced out 10'-15' further than the prior speed on the same left to right line, you have some work to do.

Once you get to this point, you will almost always be pin high assuming you have the snap to get there.

I love my star wraiths. They fly so straight, have great glide and always finish left at the end. I know you re-bumped this thread to talk about the G* plastic.. but I am in love. LOVE I TELL YOU!

I actually re-bumped this thread because I think the Wraith is the best driver out there and it deserves the comprehensive thread that you see with other popular molds. Right now I have 3 star wraiths in my bag. Fairly US, Super Straight, and slightly OS. I use one on almost all holes over 350'. I am wondering if I'll even need a Gstar, but I will buy one or two.

Wraiths are money.

If the majority of advanced players were honest with themselves they would put away the destroyers and realize that they should be throwing wraiths. They would seriously be Innova's most popular driver if everyone wasn't so caught up with what the pros (who have more than 150ft of power than you) are throwing.

What has everyone found to be the most overstable? I had been using a pop-top echo star for my windy drives but recently swapped it out for a DD. I had a friend pick up a champ glow wraith for me, we'll see how that works out.

Wraiths are money.

If the majority of advanced players were honest with themselves they would put away the destroyers and realize that they should be throwing wraiths. They would seriously be Innova's most popular driver if everyone wasn't so caught up with what the pros (who have more than 150ft of power than you) are throwing.

What has everyone found to be the most overstable? I had been using a pop-top echo star for my windy drives but recently swapped it out for a DD. I had a friend pick up a champ glow wraith for me, we'll see how that works out.

Wraiths were my first successful distance driver. If i knew more about the variants I would maybe consider it. For now I have 6 destroyers that cover my distance needs.

Wraiths are money.

I agree destroyers are a bit OS for real touch players, but the wraith always seemed in between being flippy and meat hookish.
Have you thrown any other companies that match with your wraith?

I like the trespass, it's destroyer-like but not as OS.

I posted earlier in this thread, back in 2011, that I had started throwing Flows. This didnt last very long as the goldline plastic seasoned to flippy too quickly and I didn't like having to wear in an Opto.

Trespasses are nice but feel like a larger rim to me. I also haven't found one that I trust into a headwind as much as my beefier Wraiths.

I've had destroyers in my bag for the last year or so and have begun to realize that I only really get a characteristic flight out of them when I get a nearly perfect rip (for me)- almost like the upper end of my power range is at the lower end of the range needed to truly get a destroyer up to speed.

My arm speed sits right in the middle of the Wraith power range though, and I feel like I can truly make the disc do what I want.

my wraiths were great with a modified fan grip. once i switched to a full power grip, they became a little "turn-y" for me. with that said the wraith was my first disc to hit 350, and i still have 3.
still love my maceman stamped "quit your job and play disc golf" wraith. easily my favorite disc.
now i throw destroyers for winds and mega torque, and pd/olf for control.

Latest posts