• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wraith plastics

CFR GLO Champ Wraiths are very overstable for Wraiths. Most of the players I know who carry Wraiths as their primary driver have one in the bag for its stability into winds. I have noticed that many old-school throwers like the Wraith more than other newer drivers, considering it to be a fairly natural progression from, say a Beast or similar mold. I went from Beast to Wraith to Destroyer to Force, but I would like to think that I could go back and throw most any of them well.
KP

Jesse B 707 said:
go lightweight Pro, DX is garbage and champ while less stable than most stars is still not easy to flip at 350. A nice seasoned Pro is what you're after

Agreed, dx wraiths are awful. Pro is money.

My experience on the Star Wraiths is that the 12x ones are much more stable than the non-KC ones. I've actually got on 175 non-KC that I use as a roller disc and it isn't even beat. I haven't thrown a lot of Champion ones so I can't say anything about them but I can recommend the Star ones as well as Pros. And if you're in a need for a less stable one a 165-170 non-KC Star should fit the bill well. I don't, however, know if they're readily available anymore or if all the shops are carrying the 12x ones.

Shank said:
JHern said:
Shank said:
discspeed said:
If your not hung up on Innova I'd try a Rogue/Surge SS. Imo, if your not consistently getting 400', the Wraith is not going to really fly right.

so basically you're saying take the speed down a notch?

I slightly disagree with that assessment, because I think it depends on what kind of thrower you are (e.g., hyzer-dominant vs. anhyzer dominant). I'm an anhyzer dominant thrower, and the Surge SS is fine in the low 300's (note: I measure distance over flat ground, no wind, and to the point where the disc first touches down...no skip included), but over that distance it begins to turn quite a lot...good for big left-right distance lines in the air (provided one gets the nose down), but with any OAT it'll flip a bit much on anything over ~350'-power. Not good in headwinds. I've not been using mine as much, for this reason.

For a flat-to-slightly anhyzer release, the Stablest Wraith is great anywhere over about 300'-power, with a wonderful high speed stability that'll flatten very nicely. Fan-freaking-tastic in winds. But you'll have to put more power than this to get it to work distance lines, and to fly as advertised. So what discspeed said is true in part, that a stable Wraith is not a utility driver covering every shot well until you are going well over 350'-400'ish power (again, depending on hyzer vs. anhyzer dominance). You just have to know what you're going to get out of it for a flight, and even if you're able to reach the high 300s' you should probably have another disc that you can turn over on distance lines (Surge SS isn't a bad choice for that, or beat up a Pro Destroyer if you want lots more glide).

That being said, a beat Pro Wraith is still something I've yet to experience, though working on it :D . I expect it to complement my Star Wraith at that point. I parked a 381' hole today with my Pro Wraith, and it still amazes me how damn straight it is in a head wind. I can get slightly longer distances with my Pro Destroyers, but they aren't nearly as reliable in wind, and they are also prone to spurious turning motions when I pour power into my throw (along with OAT). The Wraith doesn't budge...I can throw that bastard as hard as I possibly can, and I know it isn't going to flip. There isn't another disc in my bag I can say that about.

maybe it's just my discs, but this hasn't been my experience at all. if i bust on my wraith in a head wind i'm looking at 50 feet movement left to right on average and it never comes back unless i give it some air. i will say that it flies remarkably well in a right to left wind, but tends to work pretty poorly if the wind is coming from the other direction.

the specific wraith i'm talking about is a 171 blue star wraith, probably 8/10 maybe less, moderate dome. i have a new star wraith that's 173 that i haven't tested substantially in the wind, but it has a flatter top, and from what i understand, that means it will probably have less HSS and therefore be even rougher in the wind.

i'm thinking about stepping down to maybe an orc, but that's just speculation at this point.

Super domey Champ Wraiths are pigs and need well over 400' of power and a stiff headwind to straighten. Otherwise they're meat hooks. 12x 175 flips into moderate headwinds at 400' power and regulars cut roll. Wraiths are all over the map in HSS. Especially beat Pro ones being roller material.