• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith vs Boss -

Preference

• Wraith

Votes: 111 70.7%
  • Boss

Votes: 46 29.3%

• Total voters

djjeremiahj

Double Eagle Member
Unless you have a super big arm, is there really a difference?
In fact, for most, i'd bet that the Wraith is the preferred disc.

For me, i've got a star boss that does not outperform my Wraith, and i hope that eventually i can break it in enough to be a steady workhorse. But until then, i always pick up my wraith.
The Boss is starting to reach a better level of performance, but until i throw it enough to get confidence in it, its still not my #1 choice. i'm too "hit or miss" with this disc, but when i do get it, it's a very good shot.
(170 Champion Wraith vs 170 Star Boss)

Wraith - Easier to control, less fade. 10'-20' less distance
Boss - a touch harder to control, but more fade. The Star plastic could be contributing to the fade.

Which do you prefer?

i use both in both champ and star plastic and use them for different shots. anything i need a big skip, ill shrow my champ boss hard and low. the wraith is more for straighter, wide open shots. i can air them out about the same distance, but o need more overhead room to work with the wraith.

if i had to pick, i think id take the boss.

If you don't have a "super big arm" you probably shouldn't be throwing either! That's not to rip on anyone, just saying...

That being said, I like both of them but for different reasons -- I would agree with a couple of apothecary's points but disagree with others. The boss is great for skip shots, the wraith is great for straight line distance shots. However, I would say the boss is the disc you need more room to work with -- I only use my boss if the hole is wide open, because the way I throw it I'm playing for a huge flex shot. Also I think the wraith is just fine for low, line-drive shots.

I voted for the boss because it's faster and I can throw it farther, but the wraith is more consistent for me and also a good disc.

A beat in wraith is very UNDERstable.

A beat in Boss is still very OVERstable.

They are not even close. Besides that they are both drives they are hard to compare.

i throw wraith. its slower and should be easier to control than the boss. my friend loves his boss but has insane power on a flick and uses it for rollers. both beat in to become more like faster beasts and then fast valks and finally after a good long run rollers. it all depend on your arm, bosses are harder to flip.

The boss is too much disc for me, I just don't have the power to make it perform. The wraith for me is a great controllable distance driver for me, it gets more distance for me than anything else I throw but I know where it's going.

Love em both but use the Wraith a little more often than the Boss depending on the openness of the course.

I have both in the bag but the wraith is for turnover shots and for where I dont want to lost my boss

Both too big for my arm in near-max weights and premium plastics. I throw the wraith into a headwind and it really does some dancing, but overall has a straight flight and a predictable fade. I was hoping that as it beat in it would become my go-to distance driver. I just don't throw it enough these days to beat it in.

I had a DX wraith a while back that went from overstable to understable relatively quickly. I also had an R-pro boss that was my longest disc ever for about 5 throws.

i went wraith, even tho i dont even own one. my bud has one that ive thrown a handful of times, and everytime i threw it, it soared. my boss is a mustang that needs to be broken before it does what i want. if anyones interested in a star 171 boss no stamp (baby blue), PM me.

They are not even close. Besides that they are both drives they are hard to compare.

i threw my champ boss into 2 or 3 trees and that thing is all sorts of flippy now. unusable flippy. very atypical for champ plastic.:\:thmbdown:

I carry 3 Wraiths in my bag. A beat DX for straight shots, a Pro for long open shots , and and a Star for long hyzers with a skip

That is exactly why I started using a boss for my main LD driver. A beat in boss will still flip but will also come back for big booms unlike the flippy wraith. At least in my hands

i threw my champ boss into 2 or 3 trees and that thing is all sorts of flippy now. unusable flippy. very atypical for champ plastic.:\:thmbdown:

I want to know where ppl get these bosses that "are easy to turn over" .... mine is anything BUT flippy. I had a 175g star boss for a few months that became just a hair less overstable before I lost it (actually some people I let plaly through ran off with it while I was looking for my brother's disc in a tree... mine was up the hill on a blind hole, probably right next to the basket -- I heard them peel out of the parking lot as I got to the top of the hill).

I just don't ever see a boss being "unthrowable flippy" ESPECIALLY after only 2-3 tree hits. I challenge someone to post a video of themselves turning over a 175g star boss, beaten in or not.

Apothecary -- I'm not calling you a liar, because every disc is it's own animal and I've thrown "supposedly similar" discs that fly completely different. What is the weight on your champ boss?

Another bone to pick about the R-Pro version of the boss -- peopel need to stop dogging this disc because they can't throw it right... You can talk about it's durability all you want because it is indeed not very durable at all, but knowing that, why would you throw it on anything but a wide open hole? Great Tailwind driver, great hyzer-flip driver -- hell, it's even a decent hyzer driver. I think the people who don't like it are those who began playing disc golf with all extreme overstable drivers and their go-to form is "put tons of anny on everything".

I Boss It...I got one in Champ and one in Star. I can push them both out to about 450'. The Star Boss holds a straight line with little fade unless I hold it on a slight hyzer. The Champ turns over even more now that I have broken it in. I have more control over them than I do my wraith. Im just odd I guess

I Boss It...I got one in Champ and one in Star. I can push them both out to about 450'. The Star Boss holds a straight line with little fade unless I hold it on a slight hyzer. The Champ turns over even more now that I have broken it in. I have more control over them than I do my wraith. Im just odd I guess

I wouldnt say you're odd you just have a stronger arm than most of the guys who post on here. I personally prefer the Boss it is stable enough so when I put enough stank on it, it still doesnt completely flip over. Also I dont think a Boss Vs. Wraith match up is necessarily the most ideal as these two discs do very different things to players of varying skill levels. In fact most open players I know use Wraiths as roller discs and Boss's as their primary drivers.

My star boss 174, was never even close to how overstable my champ is, shoot even my pro that is 170 is more stable than my star was. Im skipping out on buying a katana cuz my star boss does exactly what the katana advertises.

I think I am most happy with a lighter weight (166g) Pro Boss (not R-Pro!!)

Even at the lighter weight, I don't have to worry about turning it over, but that is always a risk with the Wraith.

Even though both discs are out of my league, I picked the Wraith because I have gotten a few good shots out of it. The boss meathooks for me.

I kept my 170 Star Boss in the front seat of my car through the end of summer and it seasoned in very nicely. I get mine out farther than my Wraiths on a straight/hyzer line. It's just now starting to get a little high speed turn.

I used Wraiths exclusively for 2 years and they are still my main D drivers, but when I have a slight headwind or room to the right for the Boss to work, i'll get 25-50' more out of the Boss.

I've got my Champ 171 in the front seat now seeing if I can beat it up a bit and get a little more high speed turn for staighter shots.

Now what I'm really waiting for is my Star Destroyers to beat in a bit...:D Then we'll see if the heavy Wraiths stay in the bag.

*backswing

Latest posts