• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

X-outs and factory seconds?

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Could someone enlighten me as to the differences between these and regular discs? Do they hold the same characteristics except they're aesthetic f*ck ups or what? Just seems they would be more popular if they flew the same as the normal ones. Sorry if someone has a thread on this already, I looked but couldn't find one.

Thanks

These are discs with factory blemishes similar to x-out balls in golf. There should be no difference in their flight characteristics.

I've thrown dozens of X-outs. There used to be a lot of warping or flight plate malformations on the X-outs (but they still flew the same). Nowadays, the process has gotten much better and virtually every X-out I've seen in years has been a mess up in the hot-stamp or flecks in the plastic. Neither affects throwing at all.

It seems like buying an X-out is just getting a better deal now days.

I haven't bought any x-outs yet but I think I will. I've thrown some and they seem to hold the same flight pattern. My favorite x-outs are the bottom stamps.

Discraft claims they only X-Out discs for cosmetic flaws and any structurally flawed discs are ground up and recycled. However, Innova will X-out discs with bubbles in the plastic. Obviously you can typically only see these in Champ discs. Here's an example of a CFR TR-X that should have been X'ed-Out because of multiple bubbles in the rim:

The Play It Again Sports in my area tends to get a lot of these bubbled discs. It makes you wonder, if there are that many bubbles in some Champ discs how many are there in the opaque plastics?

I'm making no claim on how these bubbles may or may not effect the flight.

ERic

I just bought a champion beast and a champion wraith X-out. The wraith flies exactly the same as my buddies champ wraith.

I have a 150g factory second champ sidewinder that is my baby. It works great for left turning holes(I throw rhfh) and it's also my get out of jail for only one stroke card. Works great for me overhand when buried off the fairway. I haven't really noticed any cosmetic flaws on it, though I'm sure something is there. It has great glide, which I assume comes from being 150g.

Could someone enlighten me as to the differences between these and regular discs? Do they hold the same characteristics except they're aesthetic f*ck ups or what? Just seems they would be more popular if they flew the same as the normal ones. Sorry if someone has a thread on this already, I looked but couldn't find one.

Thanks

Difference is strictly cosmetic. Flys the same.

Whether or not they fly the same is impossible to determine -- in theory, having bubbles ever-so-slightly changes the balance of the disc, which should -- in theory -- affect flight. However, as we all know, there are countless variables in disc flight even among discs within the same run. The higher the speed of the disc, the wider the range of variation within a run, it seems.

So for X-outs, there is no way of knowing how the imperfections may affect flight, but what I should say is that I have never thrown an X-out disc that was outside of the standard-deviation in flight characteristics for a given run of discs. In theory, X-out imperfections have to affect flight somehow, but the effect is so much smaller than the other variables, you'll never notice it in practice.

My go to driver is an X-Out Champion Teebird that I found. It flies perfectly straight, is impossible to turn and has minimal fade. It is clear and it's imperfection is two small black specks in the plastic. I have a KC Champion Teebird in the same weight that is not beat in yet so it has too much fade.

Good stuff. I've got a x out champ wraith that has been my side arm go to disc for a while, it had a neat double stamp that made it look like a Free Mason symbol. I swear my factory second champ Orc is more stable than it should be but maybe I just haven't worn it in yet.

I have several X-out discs from innova because my local pro shop started carrying them. I've got a double stamped star SL and a quad stamped star Wraith. They both fly the same as non X-out discs. I love them and they are half as cheap!

i just picked up an x-out wraith, flies just like a wraith is supposed to, and is replacing my yellow champ wraith that turns right harder than george bush...

I bought a couple of x-outs in champ plastisc. The discs fly and feel fine. It looks like the only reason they didn't get the hot stamp was due to a few small bubbles in the plastic. I guess they said it was cosmetic and decided not to sell it at full price. If your into the higher quality plastics then purchase some x-outs. I bought mine because I wanted to save a few bucks and try out higher grade plastics...com to find out I don't like them.... :( Now if I could just find some x-outs in DX stuff and pay just 3.00 for a new disc...hehe...

there are dx x outs usually $5. I got a dx orc, not sure why it was x out, but I like it.

Yeah, every time my buddy purchases the discraft x outs in bulk he gets a hell of a deal and the discs for the most part are great.

I've had several X-outs. 2 champion Leopards that looked & flyed normal, a Champion Destroyer that has a couple of black specs in it, 2 Champion Boss's with some bubbles (they do have flatter dome's), a FLX Challenger "misprint", & a QJLS that should have been a factory second (had big recess in rim!). I think INNOVA prob'ly let's more disc's go out that should be fac sec's than any other manufacturer!! I have 3 factory X-out Grooves coming in very light wieghts. I read on an E-bay listing for an X-out Groove that the disc "looked normal & was prob'ly an X-out simply becuase it was lighter than Innova's stated wieght range". Any truth to that?

The X-out Grooves that I've seen just had 2 or 3 small air bubbles trapped in the rim. There were no other problems with them and the air bubbles did not change the surface of the rim or flight plate. There would be less than 1 gram of plastic displaced by the bubbles, so the impact on the balance of the disc would be minimal.

Latest posts