• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

XD

Isn't the Spike a completely different stability?

Also, if the XD is as beveled as the Pure on the edge, I probably won't like it.

I love the XD...it just feels right when it leaves the hand and takes very little power to throw a straight shot.
I bought a Spike thinking it would be the same. Not so for me.

XD is staying in the bag.

throw an XD and join the cool kids club!!

i use the XD as my main putter and main approach disc. it is great for both. love the grip and stability, great for longer putts where you need that extra glide!

i've got to make it back down your way for another round! still haven't played coyote or crossroads yet.

putting is getting better lately. having a practice basket with 5 XD's in my living room has helped!

XDs have always been in my bag. Get some good dx XDs and you'll love them.
These are most of my XDs

picture.php

Well that sucks. One thing I was looking at the XD for is it seems easy to replace. lol Not the case if production runs aren't up to snuff I guess.
One of the things I like about the DX XD is that I've never thrown one that was so far from what I expected that I would say it sucked. Some are better than others, but all of them I have thrown have been in the "acceptable" range. I've been throwing XD's long enough to have started with beadless San Marinos and my newest ones have flight numbers on the stamp, so that's a big sample.

IMO, the current DX XD's are fine. The XD's that were the worst came out around '95. The plastic was waxy crap, the XD's came out super domey and 1/2 of the time they were warped out of the box. Of course those have the bullet stamp so somebody will pay you $40 for one of them...:rolleyes: Even those flew OK, though. It's not one of those molds where there is a dramatic flight difference from run to run. The Star XD was horrible (flew like a Rhyno) but a DX XD is going to be fine.

I liked the clean release I got from them, but the glide kills you if you miss........Having said that, It's a super easy disc to throw. It's an excellent approach disc, long-range putter and it's good for a short to medium turnover off the tee. It's not great in the wind, but not a lot of touch discs are.

Agreed. I used to use it as a putter all over but when you miss a short putt you often have the same putt again. So now I only use it in the 60-100 foot range.

XD stays in my bag...great disc. I use it more as an approach disc for straight lines up to 220' or short turnovers and flop tosses, but it's a great utility disc for all kinds of shots. Really an underrated disc, imo. I putted with it for a long time and still do, but often use a Pig or an Aviar to putt with now. I'll agree with what Threeputt said...that was spot-on advice about the XD as a putter. They aren't horrible in wind, just need to alter a little. My first couple XDs were flat, a more recent one has a little dome on it but honestly they seem to fly the same. Picked up a champ glo and am less happy with it, but it's still a nice disc - a touch more stable than the dx, less glide, and it just feels a little different in the hand (pretty domey and the bottom of the rim feels a little thinner or something).

The Lightning #2 Upshot is damn near the exact same disc as the XD with a slightly larger diameter but all of the same flight characteristics and paths. Practically twins. I've never thrown a really "old" XD, but like I said, despite the differences between those from 4-5 years ago and what's on the shelf right now, they still seem to fly the same for me. I don't remember hearing anything about LIghtning's quality changing much from batch to batch, so if you like that disc I suppose it'll always be there, and the colors are pretty cool - their plastic beats up hard and fast, though (haven't tried their "pro" plastic U2 version yet, but I may get one to see). I've been looking for other XD-like discs and so far that's the only one I've found, but I'm going to pick up a Spike this weekend and see what it's like.

For $8, pick up and XD or #2 Upshot and see what you think.

allintitle: xd site:dgcoursereview.com/forums should work even better, since it'll only search in the post topic.

Thank you (and bcr123psu) for that! I tried looking for XD and XB awhile back and that was bugging me. Didn't even think of doing a google site search like that.

They made the Roc by adding a bead to an XD. The XDs with beads are much smaller beads.

I am a confirmed and indentured member of the Brotherhood of the XD (angels sing), so this means my advice should carry much more weight than all the non members.

The XD never leaves my bag, its flat, old, and flies laser straight from 80-150'.
I aim and release directly at the chains, no loft or fade needed, it just goes in perfectly straight line, better than any other disc I have ever tried.

I keep buying Summits, but they're hanging on the wall, despite the fact that I use a Ridge for anything 40-80, and a VP for >40, I still wont ever take the XD out of the bag, its too perfect.

Wedge is similar, but longer and more glidey. I find it's much easier to apply just the right amount of power to the XD within its range.

Remember though, the XD was never really designed as a putter, so its functioning as such may require more skills than some other true putters.

This advice is so rock solid I'm gonna go ahead and give myself a " your welcome " right here.

The use of the XD in the modern game is pretty funny. I used to have an old article with Dr. Rick where he said the XD was his longest disc and go-to driver. In 1985, it was the truth.

They made the Roc by adding a bead to an XD. The XDs with beads are much smaller beads.
Have they since modified the Classic Roc mold? The 2009 Innova catalog has wing profiles and while the XD and Classic Roc are indeed pretty identical, neither has a bead in that.

Latest posts