• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

YAY!! I've FINALLY GOT DARK DYES!!!

AciDBatH666

Double Eagle Member
So I was bored as hell tonight, decided to try some dying with the Rit powder. Ive been using the Rit liquid for the longest time because when I went looking for the powder, the place I went had none.
So Ive just said whatever.
Well today on my day off, I went searching for the powder, and got a handful of boxes of different colors.
Got another thing of Acetone, since my last one was out from some fiberglass work I was doing.

I can't believe it came out so dark!!
I just drew up 2 quick things, the death star, and a DGR logo.
I used to use Wax crayons on my other dye jobs, but I decided to take another run at using tape to make straight lines.
It worked for the most part, but bled in a few spots. This was the first time I messed with the powder, so I didn't really care.

Maybe next I'll work up some more complicated drawings and work em onto a disc. I really just wanted to see if the colors bled, and how fast it set in.
SETS IN FAST!

Dye2.sized.jpg

Heh deathstar looks cool. Ive never done any dye jobs on anything so props to you.

Dude! Those are SWEET! :D So what did you use for the writing on the DGR logo, was that crayon? I've never been brave enough to dye any of my discs, but I've always liked the idea, and I think you have just inspired me. Where can I find acetone?

Again, props to you.

Lol.
I'll make another deathstar later. If I can find a really good pic of it, I'll make one on a new disc so it'll be so clean. The smear marks and stuff on it are from me messin with just throwin lighter dyes on it a while back.

For the DGR logo, I didnt use crayons. Any wax crayons worked when I used to use the Rit liquid. I would put the wax crayon where I didnt want the dye to set in.
But I didn't even mess with it. I just used a thin sharpie, and a really small paint brush. Its great, because with the acetone in the dye, when I get close to where the sharpie has marked on the disc, it kind of erases it.

Here's one I just did. I'm not the biggest superman fan, but hell, it's a cool lil stencil.
Took about 45 minutes total maybe.
:)

DSC00539.sized.jpg

Contact Paper is your friend :)

I like to use contact paper, and a razor pen.I've done some good dyes. My brother has as well.
Rit power is the bomb.
:)

P.S. That Death Star is schweet!

Oh, and yes rit powder dye sets hella fast, no room for error.

Just did a lil search online, found something really simple to stencil out with the paper.
DSC00545.sized.jpg

DSC00546.sized.jpg

DSC00547.sized.jpg

It bled thru in a couple of spots, but its no big deal. The crease at those points wasn't really smooth. It got crimped a little. But no problem, I was really just testing to see if the dye would bleed thru it at all. It really didn't except where I made the mistakes.
I did go back and take off the Skeeter logo with some acetone. I was hoping it would kind of come thru somehow, but the acetone just faded some of it out. So I just cleared it completely off.

I'm anxious to get some more complicated stuff going with multiple layers of dye. Or something with some shading.. It's gonna be tough to do the detail I want, but I wanna be capable of doing better images instead of just stencils.

Lol, yeah, that contact paper is a lil old school. I just picked something with lines that was dark, So I could possibly use the lines as a reference.

Cool dyes, they look factory on yours.
When I sit down and find something really worth sitting down and taking my time with, I'll make sure theres no bleed spots so it'll come out as clean as those.

Here's the one I just finished. I tried to work in a fade job with darker blue at the bottom.
DSC00548.sized.jpg

DSC00552.sized.jpg

I added some other lines trying to give it a different look, BUt I shoulda used black. But anywho, from a distance it looks clean enough for me. :)
Like I said, once I get a cool idea I'll get more in depth to make it come out flawless. Right now Im kinda impatient, and just wanna find out whats working and whats not. I'll refine it later.
I NEED MORE IDEAS DAMNIT!

Your contact paper has inspired me muahahahaha :)
A tip to help prevent bleed. once you've cut out the design rub your fingers along the lines you cut, to make sure the contact paper is set to the disc.

yeah, trust me....I've been spending 2-3 minutes just to press all the edges down as far as possible to prevent it.
Where it's kinda bled a little kind surprised me because I was pretty sure I got most of it.
I've got a handful of wicked wraith designs that Im gonna try to incorporate. But it'll take a lot of detail. It'll basically be a drawing instead of a stencil that I can just slop the dye onto.

AciDBatH666 said:
I NEED MORE IDEAS DAMNIT!
Here's a program that converts jpegs into line drawings- Irfanview
And some nice Star Wars Stencils. Click on the Stencil swap link after the text for some others.
About.com also has some, and here has lots, you just have to save the image and enlarge afterwards.

Also, invest in some vinyl to mask off with, and fill a ultimate/catch lid or large pie pan with warm/hot water and Rit, and let it sit for a while. They will come out extra crispy. :p Just make sure there are no air bubbles underneath when soaking, and rinse w/cold water. Also you can double up on the vinyl and paint it on to sit and not run. To make the dye solution easier to manage painting and spinning, add some liquid soap.(makes it smell nice too.:wink: )

Mixing with acetone seems to be not so good of a mix, it might be thinner and smoother, but the dye will bleed and fade easier and if left to soak will eat through plastic somewhat.(and especially the glue off the vinyl) Just simple Rit and hot water seems to work the best, the heat makes it set in faster.

Here's the Rit custom dye mixing chart.

Btw big props to SuperQ's Q-dyes- here and here, he has lots more, just has never uploaded them. (he's where most of this info came from.) 8)

Wow, cool beans. Thanks for all the info guys.
That kinda stuff looks unbelievably intimidating, but I'm game to try something that complex.

I went to Hobby Lobby on my lunchbreak today. Finally found a swivel X-Acto knife, got some calligraphy stencils for a different font, and some artists cups with lids.
Thats one cool thing i've found with the powder. I can let the acetone evaporate out, and just let the powder harden up. Later I can just pour more acetone into it and still use the powder that I put in it before.
I might come up with a few new things tonight after seeing a few ideas yall have posted.
Any more ideas? Keep em comin

Dude, I'm totally stealing your DGR stamp idea. That looks freakin AWESOME!

Latest posts