• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

YAY!! I've FINALLY GOT DARK DYES!!!

:shock: There is a disc on one of the dudes pages of a chick spreading her umm... legs :shock: lol looks good.

Hah i saw that one. Looked fairly clean, yet dirty. WOOOT!
I messaged a friend who wants to play a round this afternoon if he wants any custom dyes. Said he'd like an Abita beer one, so I might try that tonight. Gonna hit up a few places to find a bunch of colors tho. I really need a good selection. Might have to order em online to get a wider choice.

Another thing I wanna try tonight, is seeing if different colors come out on top of other colors that are already set in. I.E.- A Dark blue base coat, with some red on top of it. Wondering how red the red will come out, or will it at all. Once I experiment with that, I got some cool ideas for later on.
My theory is that it wont work too well, but we'll see.

It won't work, trust me, lol - The multi colors are done light colors first, then dark over those as it will cover the lighter color. Tape off (or vinyl) the light area you want preserved. Good luck, have fun.

Where's the best/cheapest place to buy Rit Powder? Does Walmart carry it? or am I going to have to go to a crafts/art store?

stormcsut said:
Where's the best/cheapest place to buy Rit Powder? Does Walmart carry it? or am I going to have to go to a crafts/art store?

Target Walmart any of those should work.

My local walmart doesn't carry rit at all. You will always be able to get it at an arts and crafts store like hobby lobby, and I would bet that target carries too. Although most stores don't carry every color so online might be better.

I usually use hot glue to mask off my discs, but I think I'll try some vinyl next. I always had a problem with the dye being too watery, but I'll try some soap next time. I've heard mixing the liquid and powder makes it dye better but I haven't tried it yet.

Would cutting the design out of sticker paper (I'm not sure what its called, just the sheets that stickers come on) work well for masking off the disk?

Then you just peel the sticker off and slap it on your disk, and dye. It should also be easy to get off when you're done.

J-Man said:
Good stuff guys. Here's a link to some stuff some of the guys here in Stumptown are doing. I know there are a ton of pages, but if you have the time it's worth it. Some of these guys are the reason I no longer dye any discs.

http://www.odsa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3776&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=690

check it out, some of the guys out here, me too but I can't do the multi color, use vinyl contact paper. Draw the design on the paper, light from behind, then put onto the disc. Then gently cut out the design with an xacto blade. Then there are various methods of applying the dye. I do 1 color, so I float the entire disc in a large sauce pan, after bringing the dye and water mix to a gentle boil, then off the heat. Let it soak for about 10 minutes, take it out and let it dry. Then wash it off and remove the contact paper after it dries again. Clean any contact stickum carefully with acetone, so you don't go over your dye job. Some of the multi color is painted on using an acetone and dye mix. But be careful with this mix, it doesn't allow for any "oops" manuvers. Here is another site of a local PDX guy (Jeff), he's really good, and will answer any questions you might have as you get started.
http://agitpropdiscs.com/
Keep it up guys, and post those discs, bad and good, this thread is the most popular at odsa.com
Peace
J

jman, i love you for posting those links. like, a weird kinda dont tell any of your friends and repress it love...

And yea, Jeff at Agitprop is one of the best. I have a few done by him, and they get lots of attention on the course. Oh yea, I throw them, they look so good flying I just gotta.

i need some custom work that is way above my disc dying skill which is 0, i was gonna try ebay but this is MUCH better

Friend of mine lost his Pink Floyd Wraith at a tourney about a month ago, and I happened to have one in my stash of spare plastic.
So since I finally started getting clean looking full disc dyes I started with the outside and did the rainbow and interior last.

looking back I shoulda done the color first and went from there. That rainbow was a bitch to do. I liked it when I just did the outline first. Completed it looks ok from far, but it's got a buncha small flaws. The rainbow colors sucked to do, because it sooo wanted to bleed thru way to easy. The first one I did was the top Red, which as you can see bled thru onto the lower colors. :(

donovan_stage1.sized.jpg

completed.
Not too too happy with it, but like i said. From a distance it looks clean.
Pinkfloyd.sized.jpg

I made a few futile dye attempts a while back. I want to make some more. What do you guys use to make those clean-cut sharp lines? I imagine it involves stencils and an x-acto knife.

Terrence said:
I made a few futile dye attempts a while back. I want to make some more. What do you guys use to make those clean-cut sharp lines? I imagine it involves stencils and an x-acto knife.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1648&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=contact+paper&start=45
Check there. It's in the kitchenware area of Walmart.
I've been using just Rit Powder with a 1 gallon ziplock bag filled halfway with just water. It doesn't even have to be hot, and I dont even need to use acetone anymore. Works awesome to completely dye a disc. And it doesnt dye what you stencil if you make sure it's all sealed and doesn't pinch anywhere where the dye can bleed thru the contact paper

I was looking in the arts and crafts section! Stupid Wal-Mart. If it's still raining tomorrow, I'm gonna buy some more dye supplies. Thanks for the tips.

Latest posts