• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Yet another putter recommendation thread

ray1970

* Ace Member *
Looking for something to fill the role of a Discmania P3X. For me the P3X takes power well without turning over, has decent glide, and always has a dependable but not overwhelming finish.

I bag Envy's for the straight to slightly understable role and Pigs or Zones but looking for something kind of in between that can be pushed hard like the Pig or Zone but without so much bite at the end.

I'm kind of eyeballing the Aviar3 (which seems like a P3X without a bead?) or maybe a DGA Breaker but don't have any experience with either of these. Also open to other suggestions.

Thanks.

P2 is worth bagging for that slot. Very resistant to turn even after beating chains for months. I have an Innova D-Line that's my most beat up and it just goes straight. The new P2 Protos have plenty of throws and putts and dings and gouges. They fly straight, no turn, with finish.

I'd recommend the Breaker. It's OS but not too much. Definitely between the Zone and Envy. I used to throw them a ton but haven't in a while.

I'll also shameless plug the Scale. I kinda fused the Breaker top with a Wizard to create the mold and it is a fantastic OS PnA, albeit slower than the Breaker.

You could try a Jawbreaker or Putter Line Zone. Out of the box the Putter Line Zone is what you want, it's a straighter Zone. Like 0/2 instead of 0/3 like a Z/ESP/TI.

Jawbreaker you will need to beat in, they start out OS for sure.

I thought the Breaker was closer to a Zone then I preferred. I had an Proline 173 or 174. I would say the Breaker is 0/2.5.

I've used a beaten in Rat for that in the past, I imagine a more base plastic Zone would also be fantastic from what I've heard.

I too am eyeballing an Aviar3 for that slot right now after losing my Rat and getting impatient with my Ruin beating in. Maybe a DX or XT AviarX3.

You could try a Jawbreaker or Putter Line Zone. Out of the box the Putter Line Zone is what you want, it's a straighter Zone. Like 0/2 instead of 0/3 like a Z/ESP/TI.

Jawbreaker you will need to beat in, they start out OS for sure.

I thought the Breaker was closer to a Zone then I preferred. I had an Proline 173 or 174. I would say the Breaker is 0/2.5.

Guess it's probably plastic and weight specific, I'd put the Breaker on the Envy side of the stability scale between Zone and E.

I'd want to try a Scale, too, that description sounds great.

@ray, if you are ever near West Fork, lmk and I'll loan you my Breaker, I'm not going to bag it for the time being. I get too close to it with my eclipse (new run @ 175) to spend the reps developing a new relationship.

if you are ever near West Fork, lmk and I'll loan you my Breaker, I'm not going to bag it for the time being. I get too close to it with my eclipse (new run @ 175) to spend the reps developing a new relationship.

Thanks. I actually might have a Breaker in my stash that I haven't thrown since back when I first started playing. I remember that I didn't like the plastic. It was kind of like a crappier version of star. Might have to see if I still have it throw it a little. (They have some at Fly Green that feel pretty nice- kind of a softer Z type plastic with metal flakes.)

Also, I always get West Creek and West Fork confused.

Curious, what kind of distance are you getting with your throwing putters?

I'll throw them comfortably out to about 260'. I can probably get them a little farther but prefer not to. Honestly, I'm getting older and lazier so lately I'll just throw a Roc for anything beyond 250'.

I can throw a putter 200+ a little, but it's anyone's guess where it goes.

I tend to choose a mid (truth) for those throws for extra glide with less oomph.

It's an area I'm trying to get better on.

Isn't the p3x a KC aviar?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

Not a clue. If they didn't have like fourteen different Aviar molds it might be easier to tell. Is it beaded and super flat? I fondled an Aviar3 and besides missing the bead it was pretty much the same feel.

Looking for something to fill the role of a Discmania P3X. For me the P3X takes power well without turning over, has decent glide, and always has a dependable but not overwhelming finish.

Have you tried a Harp? Should be pretty similar to a P3X according to flight numbers, and should be available in a variety of plastics which may allow you to find the stability you seek.

I have been using Medium Harp as my OS putter for years, currently pairing it with an Electron Soft Envy as my straight-stable approach putter. Harp has a reliable straight-to-fade flight, but will also hold an anny for quite a while, providing versatility in line shaping.

Medium Harp will beat up over time and get straighter, but I have had one remain overstable after 2-3 years in the bag.

Good luck with your search!

Have you tried a Harp?

Actually, the Harp was a staple in my bag for a couple of years. I have a stack of them in pretty much all of the plastics. There was a time where I had a Harp and a P3X in the bag at the same time. The P3X was straighter and covered more distance with less fade. Admittedly, my game has improved since then so it might be worth taking the Harps out to the field and trying them out again.

Not a clue. If they didn't have like fourteen different Aviar molds it might be easier to tell. Is it beaded and super flat? I fondled an Aviar3 and besides missing the bead it was pretty much the same feel.

I tried the Aviar3 when it came out and it doesn't seem like what you are looking for, though YMMV as lots of people online give it good reviews. IME the AviarX3 seems more like what they described the Aviar3 would be. At >250 feet the Champ AX3 that I have thrown (I have 5 of them) is pretty much a straight flyer with a gentle finish, almost a point and shoot kind of disc. I play a lot of one disc rounds with it, throw it BH, FH, OH, FH rollers...it can do a lot.

I used to throw a BT Hard Harp and it filled the same role so a Harp could work too.

EDIT: saw your comment re: Harps, agree it might be worth revisiting them.

Actually, the Harp was a staple in my bag for a couple of years. I have a stack of them in pretty much all of the plastics. There was a time where I had a Harp and a P3X in the bag at the same time. The P3X was straighter and covered more distance with less fade. Admittedly, my game has improved since then so it might be worth taking the Harps out to the field and trying them out again.

The Harp has to be an eternal disc. It's the proto-Zone. Haha, proto-Zo-an.

Man, of the discs I've thrown, Breaker would be at the top of my list. It felt like all the no-nonsense straightforward control and distance of an Envy, but a markedly different LSS pattern. Not lateral skip-fadey, exactly, but more stable stall-ey with mad induced drag at low speed.

I would revisit those Harps though. Those reps come back fast. I'd wonder, myself, what a Harp could do for me right now.