• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your FAVE Course Signage???

I liked the idea of the signs I saw at Water Works years ago (old may be replaced by now). It was an actual picture of the hole from the tee pad with colored baskets added to it for the various placements and the colors corresponded to the distances on the sign for each placement. That is what I recall anyway. It works well with PAR 3s, but for longer/dog leg holes you would probably need the birds eye view or more than one photo (tee and approach). If this was done with a high quality camera/photographer I could get behind them. It's so easy to find a basket when the tee sign shows you a picture of the actual tree it is behind rather than a generic cartoon version.

I liked the idea of the signs I saw at Water Works years ago (old may be replaced by now). It was an actual picture of the hole from the tee pad with colored baskets added to it for the various placements and the colors corresponded to the distances on the sign for each placement. That is what I recall anyway. It works well with PAR 3s, but for longer/dog leg holes you would probably need the birds eye view or more than one photo (tee and approach). If this was done with a high quality camera/photographer I could get behind them. It's so easy to find a basket when the tee sign shows you a picture of the actual tree it is behind rather than a generic cartoon version.

They have those at Ballou Park in Danville Va.

Attachments

• e3e15f14.jpg
    e3e15f14.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 102
After waiting all winter, we finally got our signs installed today!

acee80c73cfc.jpg

adeaa8a652aa.jpg

Looks nice Scott! I'll have to get out there... been busy recently.

Worst I have ever seen are the 2 local ones in or near Pierre South Dakota it is a 4x4 post near tee pad about 4 feet off the ground and had the distance in feet on the hole as well as the number of hole it is on the back side the kind for apartments inside the apartment with wimpy brads holding them in. Well over time the distance fell off the tee pads but the local club plus others/state (on is on a state park) and city have kept up the number of what hole on the course that teepad is for. However one of them in the city course Steamboat got ripped down by a person on a dirt road and it will take a while to replace it. I think the out of town course at the State Park (Powerhouse Ally) was updated with the number for hole you are on being attached better.

Last edited:
I like the design for Carrollton... wish it was there when I played it. Carrolton's an interesting course, with a bit of a different feel from most.

If you haven't been to St. Louis lately, we've had a very big year!
3 new 18-hole tracks have been approved and are currently being installed.

The Bunker: Wooded compliment to JB in Jefferson Barracks Park. Very Idlewildesque
~7500'
Titan Baskets
Signs: GT design
PAR 62

Sunset Lakes: Championship level "ball golf" style course
6 lakes on 55 acres that used to be used for ball golf
PAR 68

Creve Coeur Hillside: Wooded compliment to Creve Coeur.
This is actually two projects in 1, a redesign of the original "Lakeside" course at Creve Coeur and the installation of 18 more holes in the upper park "Hillside". Hillside will be akin to JB/Endicott type course with lots of beautiful mature trees.
PAR 59

...Traveling outlaws need to play St. Louis soon

Recently updated tee signs at Giles Run.
those look real nice & helpful.:clap:
how was the distance/elevation measured?
is the ob marked with a line or just a cut? (that's a lot of ob)
is that a blackberry that makes you bleed?

Last edited:
If you haven't been to St. Louis lately, we've had a very big year!

Traveling outlaws need to play St. Louis soon

St Louis has some really good courses, and I realize there have been quite a few additions. Wouldn't mind visiting again. But it ain't exactly around the corner. Not sure when my travels will bring me there again.

those look real nice & helpful.:clap:
how was the distance/elevation measured?
is the ob marked with a line or just a cut? (that's a lot of ob)
is that a blackberry that makes you bleed?
Distances were measured with a 300 Ft. tape and elevation was derived from Fairfax County GIS.

OB is marked with flags at the current mow line.

The thorn line is currently in a state of flux as the Giles Run Meadow Volunteer Team has been removing invasive species from the course periphery on a weekly basis. As the blackberries and other invasive species are fully eradicated the flagged mow line will be adjusted and may be removed completely in some areas where a smooth transition from grass to understory can be achieved.

The full course signage can be viewed at
https://www.facebook.com/tim.beron.5/media_set?set=a.3165211243546904&type=3

Last edited:
Village Greens DGC here in Denver had the coolest tee "signs" I had ever seen despite being an otherwise lackluster beginner course with minimal amenities.

They weren't so much signs but rather 18 custom sandstone cairns about 18" high that had hole #, distance and a hole map lovingly engraved in the stones. Sadly most people never noticed the information that was carved into the rocks, so these were probably largely unappreciated.

Even more sad, this year they were removed and replaced with typical park tee-signs.