• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your Favorite Plastic

thunder3boy

Par Member
I was searching for this thread and couldn't find anything specifically answering this question (though I am sure it already exists...:eek:)

What is your favorite plastic?
Or, if you could only throw 1 plastic type the rest of your disc golfing careers, what would it be?

My answer would be Latitude 64's Opto line. To me it's prooven more durable than champion, and is waaaaaay grippier.

I don't settle on a single type of plastic for my entire bag, just on individual discs, so I guess I don't have a favorite plastic.

I don't settle on a single type of plastic for my entire bag, just on individual discs, so I guess I don't have a favorite plastic.
^ this. Lots of players prefer certain molds in specific plastics, and different molds in precisely the plastic they didn't like for another mold. Some bag the same mold in different plastics for different shots... champ and DX Tee Birds quickly come to mind.

^ this. Lots of players prefer certain molds in specific plastics, and different molds in precisely the plastic they didn't like for another mold. Some bag the same mold in different plastics for different shots... champ and DX Tee Birds quickly come to mind.

Bingo.

Favorite plastics per Category:
Putting putter: firm SS
Driving Putter: proton
Midrange: stiff KC pro or champystar evolution
Fairway: champ/proton
Distance: 400s

Tough call. I can narrow it down to a few...

Putters - SS from Gateway
Mids - Z from Discraft
Drivers - Champion from Innova

I should provide a couple honorable mentions as well. That Latitude 64 Gold line might be absolutely invincible! Innova's Jolly Launcher plastic may fit into that category, but those discs haven't been in the bag long enough to tell!

I like the Opto, too. Don't really have a favorite. I have been putting with a RGL Pure (I often drive with an Opto). I have a mixed bag in terms of manufacturer and plastic. I like Legacy's Icon. I had a G* Leopard and have a G*Teebird3 on the way. I liked it a lot. Never get too worried about the plastic, but I don't throw base plastic at all. Champ or better for me (now that I think about it I don't throw any pro either).

Opto is awesome, and I really like opto air also. A new Moonshine plastic by Westside is great, as well, if you like opto. Plus it glows really well! As stated above; though, I have no favorite plastic as I have some sweet dx discs, champs, star etc. If I had to choose only one, it would come down to opto and opto air. Can't decide:doh:

DX gives me by far the best grip. I have slip issues with all of the premium plastics.

Definitely depends on what type disc - putter, driver, etc. One my favorites though is the Champ Eagle. Its not the typical champion plastic. The flight plate is a bit softer and grippy, almost a chalkiness to it actually. I call them my squeaky eagles because if you grip them tightly between your thumb and index its will squeak, unlike other champs that are a smoother plastic.

Star so-far for me, I have a few Gstar's on the way, so that may change

Latitudes Gold line is pretty damn nice too IMO

but recently its been gstarrr for me. and im not even an innuva fanboi. great grip, durability is pretty standard, and gripable in the cold mn winter too?

chalk one up for gstarrr

CryZtal Z by Discraft. Just plain awesome!