• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your Favorite Plastic

I like the Trilogy plastics for durability. Also Z from Discraft and Champion and star from Innova. Good ****

For me, it depends on the Disc in my bag. I really like base-plastic Aviar P&A's prior to about 2006 or so, when the plastic stuck to your fingertips a bit. They got too slick here recently for my taste.

When the SE Teebirds came out (1998?) in the cherry red plastic, that was probably my favorite-ever driving plastic. Must've been expensive to make because they didn't do it for long.

Some of the Cyclone plastic from Discraft in the late '90s was awesomely grippy. Loved them too. I had a pink one and a light green one that felt like an extension of my fingertips when I let go of them. Couldn't drive today's big distances with them, but I sure could throw them exactly where I wanted at 300'. Same for the first few years of the Stratus, and the Soft Magnet too.

I have a Champion Stingray from about 2001 or so that isn't as rock hard and slippery as a lot of Champ plastic is (and it is opaque orange, too). I love that stuff. On the other hand, my 11x KC Champion Aviar is suitable only for my night bag due to its near-transparency with the new LED lights we have these days. Can't imagine that being my everyday, go-to putter. So hard and slick, like the surface of a bathtub. Resilient, sure, but can I make clutch putts with it? ...

The question begs the further Q, for what use?

I regularly carry and use: Innova champ and pro and DX, Discraft X and Z, MVP proton and neutron, and Gateway SSS. The break in makes all the difference.

The only universal thing I can say is that IMHO, champion putters suck.
Some plastics are better when clean. Some take light dust better. Some suck when wet. I rarely carry a towel and dust can suck just as bad in the summer as mud or water.

This question is as open ended as 'what's your favorite color?' Blue. No, wait, clear!

Last edited:
Distance Drivers - Star
Fairway Drivers - Champion
Mids & Putters - KC Pro

If I had to just choose one I'd go Champion.

I rather like Star plastic. It's durable, grippy, wears nicely, and stays crunchy even in milk!

Star plastic for teh win. Although other great plastics include:

Soft Proton. Feels and looks great. I'll eventually get lots more of this magical stuff.
Z plastic. Indestructible, colorful, Discraft's bread and butter. Definitely better than Champion plastic.
ESP FLX. Also indestructible, but with added grip and flexible goodness.

I just got a stock stamp metal flake like Lucid Felon and it is the nicest plastic blend I've ever had. I also like the Jolly Launcher Champion.

Old Star plastic is the bomb. That waxy-ish, flexy plastic. It's so good...durable, grippy, wonderful. If I could only have one plastic for everything, it would be this.

I do love me some RFF Wizards for putting, though.

R-Pro for putt and approach, star for mids, and G-star for drivers. I like the durability of champ but it's too slick in the cold.

I'm a huge fan of the Z plastic midranges made by discraft and the ESP & ESP Flex plastic by discraft have a great grippy feel and super durable.

After assessing the damage done after playing McPhearson Park(lava rock), I'm a little disappointed in the durability of the G Star plastic and more and more impressed with Opto and 400. No disc made it out of there unscathed but there were pieces missing(or hanging by a thread) on my G Star PD. I should add Prodiscus's premium plastic as well, it took some huge 'licks and kept on ticking'.

When Innova plastic dreams, it dreams it's Legacy plastic.

Icon is a very underrated premium plastic. It is very durable. I cycled Cannons a while back and it's hard to tell the beaten one(s) vs. the 'fresh' one... until you throw them of course.

DX is only cheaper when it ends up being a mold you try once and don't replace, when you're buying 4 or 5 of them over time though, premium plastic is cheaper.

DX has it's place though, I just won't buy it anymore, it's the 2 week sweet spot plastic.

for all around and just in general.. Legacy Icon plastic.. just beyond me how it doesnt get more love

DX is only cheaper when it ends up being a mold you try once and don't replace, when you're buying 4 or 5 of them over time though, premium plastic is cheaper.

DX has it's place though, I just won't buy it anymore, it's the 2 week sweet spot plastic.

Or...if you lose a lot...

Latest posts