• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

You bought lifetime supply of a favorite mold?

I can't even imagine what a "less stable" Whippet would be like. Every one has been more OS than I could ever find useful.
*applies golf disc geek cap*

Back it the "everything is base plastic" days (I want to say '94-'95 or '95-'96) there was a fairly long period of time where Innova plastic was waxy. The discs felt slick and they were not very durable. Whippets in particular tended to arrive warped. Not taco warped, but if you put them on a table top you would notice that a lot of them were slightly warped. The combination of warped (which made them less stable out of the box) and not very durable (the fade beat out of them quickly) had the Whippet guys going nuts. They would shift through all the Whippets in my storage room hoping that somehow the 10 guys that had already shifted through all the Whippets in my storage room had missed an old good one.

After a little over a year, the plastic improved and the warped Whippets issue seemed to go away.

*removes geek cap, puts it back on a shelf*

Putting on my "ponderin" hat.

I think most disc golfers have a few stages they go through on the disc acquisition front, if they get bit by the DG bug.

You start off getting a base plastic Innova starter set, because they are ubiquitous and fairly cheap. After not too much time you either lose them and/or they are too understable for your arm. Maybe you get a different starter set, this time in Champ plastic, and that one is too overstable. Finally you realize, by talking to someone who knows, or watching a video, or figuring it out, that you can buy individual discs!

You start dabbling in buying a few discs. Some of them you really like, some you don't. Now you are in trouble because you start trying disc after disc, trying to figure out what the heck flight numbers really even mean. Slowly you start building a bag. Somewhere in here you get a full size disc golf bag and have the insatiable urge to fill it. You increase your pace of buying discs.

Then you realize that there are "cool" discs. You see a cool stamp, you learn about disc dying, you get an add for a Discmania mystery box, or, horror of horrors, Dynamic Discs pitches you this disc golf subscription service called "Handeye". Now you are acquiring discs for looks, maybe even sight unseen.

Now, somewhere in there, through all the swing changes and increases in power, you start realizing you are depending on some favorite discs. You start to have a stable bag.

And then one day it happens, you lose one of your go to discs. And not only that, when you go to buy another one, you discover you can't get it, for one of various reasons. You are horrified. (This is very especially the case if you are newish and lost one of "those" discs in the last 2 years.)

Now you start looking at your bag a different. You wonder, which of these discs are actually replaceable on short notice? It doesn't matter that you already have similar discs that do similar things, they aren't that mold you gravitated to and love. Or they aren't in the plastic you want.

For me it was a combination of a) losing my favorite fairway driver, a Stag in Tournament (gold line) plastic and realizing I couldn't replace it. It's a stock disc, but there are no plans to manufacture it in that plastic again, at least for now, b) realizing that, while a Pig is supposedly extremely similar to a Zone, I just don't get on with it nearly as well, and c) falling in love with the Streamline Pilot in Cosmic Neuton plastic I got from the PDGA last year. So I bought 3 more even though I don't see needing a new one any time soon. Also got one in Proton and Electron to play around with mold minimization.

Is that a lifetime supply? Who knows. It should certainly last me quite a while.

I'm 65 y/o, so every disc I have is almost a lifetime supply, lol. To be serious though, I have around 15 Comets, and probably 4 or 5 of them have only been thrown a few times, and 4 or 5 others have never been thrown. Some I've had for 8 or 10 years already. That is definitely a lifetime supply for me.

I'm only 23 and I doubt I have enough Comets. I've got like 25 or so, but most are MJs and some are never going to be thrown. If they're X or ESP I'd be interested in at least taking a look, if you decide to thin them out a bit.

I can't even imagine what a "less stable" Whippet would be like. Every one has been more OS than I could ever find useful.

I am down to my last one. Found it online a few years ago. I have it in my bag currently but may have to retire it as I still use it a bunch and it is beaten senseless. All of my faves have gone extinct: old Gazelle and old Whippet, Stag, Seer, Echostar Mamba (1 left in my bag and I love it!). Alas...

Zone would be the main one for me. A premium plastic Zone lasts approximately forever, and I have around 7, a mix of Z, ESP, Ti, etc. I still mainly bag the first one I acquired back on 2015 or so. I don't tend to use the. In situations where I'll lose them, so that helps.

Some others are discs that I expected to lean on heavily, but have stopped using as much. One is the Tsunami or old mold Predator. I have 5 or so, but rarely bag them anymore. In a kind of similar family, I have quite a few Champion Thunderbirds, which I almost never bag.

The only mold I have more than 3 of is my R-Pro Aviar, of which I have a half dozen, simply for putting practice, not for fear of damage or losing.

Last edited:
I have a lifetime supply of Wraiths, Rocs, and Wizards. The funny thing is I am not currently bagging Wraiths, Rocs, or Wizards.

This is exactly my caution. I'm thinking four or five of a mold 'in the stash' is about all I'd ever do. I get frustrated buying stuff I don't throw. I'm not collecting any Cloudbreakers orSky Gods. I throw them.

For me the type of mold most likely to be lost (and therefore the type that would need the most backups) is the flippy driver. Super nose angle sensitive and very much affected by wind, most of my truly awful throws come from this type of mold. Some of those awful throws end up irretrievable.

I don't have a stack of backups though since I've used a few different molds in this slot with (relative) success. Also, from my days of trying new discs, I have plenty of distance drivers sitting in a box in the garage. Need to work through (read as lose) all of the flippy ones before I'd consider getting multiples of any one.

I've got 10 Wizards but that's mostly because I wanted to try out the different plastics. I'd still like to try a plain ol' SS and maybe a Pure White but my current stack should see me through.

I've also got 8 Eagles but half of those are DX. I think if the freebie F2 Friday ever piques my interest I'll try to snag a Barsby and a couple F2 DX if they're still in stock

wizards, buzzzes, teebirds, eagles, and leopards

i probably won't ever run out of any of these. the fairways include 9x, 10x, 11x, and CE

I didn't mean to, but I have a ton of Teebirds. I'm trying to throw lighter stuff, so I just need to start tossing them over ponds and stuff.....

Mostly DX?

no

teebirds: some DX, 2 CE, a few 9x, handful of 10x, handful each of taffy and candy 11x KC pro, and a dwindling stack of 11x champ CAL, plus a few first runs (DX, pro) and a few SE

eagles: some DX, 1 CE, a handful of 10x, a few taffy and candy 11x KC pro, a few 11x champs

leos: some DX, 2 CE, 2 gummy champ 150 class, more than a handful of proline

i just realized you've been in the game 2 years, some of that might be Greek to you. PM me if you want a breakdown and an Innova plastic history

i just realized you've been in the game 2 years, some of that might be Greek to you. PM me if you want a breakdown and an Innova plastic history

I'm a short timer, but kinda geeky. We're on the same page with plastics. I read someone buying like 10 DX Teebirds in one sitting and thought it might have been you?

Putting on my "ponderin" hat.

I think most disc golfers have a few stages they go through on the disc acquisition front, if they get bit by the DG bug.

You start off getting a base plastic Innova starter set, because they are ubiquitous and fairly cheap. After not too much time you either lose them and/or they are too understable for your arm. Maybe you get a different starter set, this time in Champ plastic, and that one is too overstable. Finally you realize, by talking to someone who knows, or watching a video, or figuring it out, that you can buy individual discs!

You start dabbling in buying a few discs. Some of them you really like, some you don't. Now you are in trouble because you start trying disc after disc, trying to figure out what the heck flight numbers really even mean. Slowly you start building a bag. Somewhere in here you get a full size disc golf bag and have the insatiable urge to fill it. You increase your pace of buying discs.

Then you realize that there are "cool" discs. You see a cool stamp, you learn about disc dying, you get an add for a Discmania mystery box, or, horror of horrors, Dynamic Discs pitches you this disc golf subscription service called "Handeye". Now you are acquiring discs for looks, maybe even sight unseen.

Now, somewhere in there, through all the swing changes and increases in power, you start realizing you are depending on some favorite discs. You start to have a stable bag.

And then one day it happens, you lose one of your go to discs. And not only that, when you go to buy another one, you discover you can't get it, for one of various reasons. You are horrified. (This is very especially the case if you are newish and lost one of "those" discs in the last 2 years.)

Now you start looking at your bag a different. You wonder, which of these discs are actually replaceable on short notice? It doesn't matter that you already have similar discs that do similar things, they aren't that mold you gravitated to and love. Or they aren't in the plastic you want.

For me it was a combination of a) losing my favorite fairway driver, a Stag in Tournament (gold line) plastic and realizing I couldn't replace it. It's a stock disc, but there are no plans to manufacture it in that plastic again, at least for now, b) realizing that, while a Pig is supposedly extremely similar to a Zone, I just don't get on with it nearly as well, and c) falling in love with the Streamline Pilot in Cosmic Neuton plastic I got from the PDGA last year. So I bought 3 more even though I don't see needing a new one any time soon. Also got one in Proton and Electron to play around with mold minimization.

Is that a lifetime supply? Who knows. It should certainly last me quite a while.

Scary true but you missed the final step into the rabbit hole...colorcoordination. For me it has been good to settle on only one color since then I put some restraints on the "buying frenzies" haha

Scary true but you missed the final step into the rabbit hole...colorcoordination. For me it has been good to settle on only one color since then I put some restraints on the "buying frenzies" haha

Yep, certain plastics I only pick out my 1-2 favorite colors and if the feel isn't right I'll pass. Some colors pop more during the fall/winter months so I have a few of those and cycle out the white ones till the spring. Color glow of any kind is hard to pass up though.

I'm a short timer, but kinda geeky. We're on the same page with plastics. I read someone buying like 10 DX Teebirds in one sitting and thought it might have been you?

i've come close once or twice. got a good deal on 5 or 6 ching stamped DX tb's at some point like 10 years ago. still have one or two left i believe.

the teebird is definitely the disc i have lost the most. not sure if it has been more DX or 11x CAL that i've lost more.

Welp. Looks like Star Starfires went OOP again.

Good thing Invictuses are the same disc so guess I'll just stock up on those.

Latest posts