• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your First Disc

i think that you may have lost one or two while we played.

I lost all my original Discs when I first started playing Grand Woods (Lansing, MI) a whole bunch in the mid-'90s. I sure would like to have that '92 doubles Stingray back. And the old-mold whippet that I got my first ace with. They both were lost in the middle of the big pond.

DX Raven because it said Ultra Long Range Driver. As a new player that instantly threw as far as everyone who was teaching me to play (we are talking 200-220 feet), it made sense to step up to a Ultra Long Range driver. I then picked up a DX Rhyno and DX Goblin. From there I moved on to another Raven, Gazelle, Dragon, and a few more Rhynos. By this time I figured that I needed some dyed discs so I picked up an X XS and an X Predator. Hated the Predator but the XS became my go to driver for two years; the first disc I broke 300 feet with.

Gator.

I threw the meanest noob hyzers this side of Mississip.

Lol.

A DX Gator was my second purchase...after a Pro D Venom.

I could almost clear 100' with the Venom if I aimed about 45 degrees right of where I wanted to go and turned my wrist all the way over mid-release! The Gator could only do 80', but it was just a mid-range, after all. :doh:

First discs I owned were all Innova DX plastic. An Aviar, a Shark, and a Beast. I figured why not, this game is so cheap to play. 25 discs and 2 bags later and I still want more plastic.

Tie-dyed Discraft Elite Z XS. Great disc for a beginner. It's retired as well as my first putter, a super-soft Millenium Omega I bought for $3.

Heard about a tournament at Joseph Davis State Park in Lewison NY in 1986 and drove up with my Whamo lids and a guy lent me an Aviar. Birdied the first 2 holes and bought one. White DX Aviar grid stamp. Instantly hooked and came back every week to play the course. Back then I think only the Aero was the only other small diameter golf disc available. Have used an Aviar ever since.

Dx shark - 180grams. Was great all the way up until I threw it into the lake on hole 9 at sleepy hollow state park.

My first disc is an Innova Pre-kenny Star Wraith, 175g (white)

I played a lot of starcraft back in the day (still do from time to time) so the name "wraith" stood out to me...and star wraith sounded even cooler (had no idea it was a different kind of plastic "star)

Probably would have never even considered it if I knew anything about disc speed etc...but I'm very glad I did, it's the best overhand disc I've ever used, and it throws a hell of a sidearm.

Here is that disc today:

d9282267.jpg

Not Pictured: DX Rhyno 175g bought the same day....meh.

Last edited:
Got 4 at one time when I started. DX Valk, Champ Leo, X Buzz, and a SSS wizard

The Valk was tacoed almost immediatly after my first rounds at Castle Hayne and Brackett's bluff. The leo went MIA after a friend of mine played luther britt with it. The X buzz I gave to a kid who was just starting and as far as I know he still throws it and the wizard was just retired maybe 2 weeks ago.

Not keeping score, but there are a lot of folks who've cut their teeth on the Shark.

First time I ever played was with a red NERF Max Flight. After that first round, my dad, brother, and I immediately went to our local shop and got hooked up with 2 XLs and an X2. My brother still has one of the XLs and I have the X2. Sadly my daughter managed to knock the other XL out of her car door and we didn't realize it until we'd gotten all the way home. Went back but it was gone. I actually still have the Max Flight with our collection of discs.

I picked up a DX Gazelle at a garage sale. I knew what disc golf was and played target golf in the backyard with Frisbees, but it wasn't until years later that I actually played a real course.

I started off with a Dart, TL, Banshee and Beast. I have lost all 4 and the only one of those molds I even throw anymore is the banshee for Overhands. However, the second time I bought some discs I got a teebird, wizard and buzzz. I still own and throw all three of those and can't imagine my bag without them.

I picked up a yellow and orange 167g Champ Banshee and a lime green, 175g Sonic for my first discs. The sonic is in pieces in the back yard and the Banshee is in the hands of some snot nosed punk that called me after finding it then decided he wanted to keep it instead. :mad:

Latest posts