• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Your LEAST favorite "new to you" disc you tried in the last 6 months

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Everyone loves trying new discs, even if only in the practice field. Some discs work out and make the bag. Some don't. Some discs fail spectacularly.

For every great disc experience there are other bad ones. What is everyone's least favorite disc they've thrown lately and why? Was the disc below or beyond your power level or did you simply not like it?

I guess mine would be the DD Renegade. Its a speed 11 driver with the flight numbers of a Wraith. Problem is, the thing flies more like a Daedalus or some other ridiculously understable disc. Horribly disappointing. I absolutely hated my entire experience with the Renegade. Easily the worst disc I've thrown in the last year. Honorable mention would be the UnLace. Too flippy to do anything with.

Going to go with the Champion Shryke. 1 out of 10 throws would be incredible. Most of the time it was just too touchy. Would flip if I powered into it & would hyzer out if I backed off. It's a better version of the Tern but the rim is still too wide for my BH and it's too shallow for my FH. Most people seem to like them but I'd rather use a Pro Wraith for max distance any time.

I was underwhelmed with the s line CD2. Kinda domey and similar to Stable above, I couldn't dial in the proper release angle. Deflector was decent and does what an OS mid should do but I like the DGA Quake better.

I tried to put together a bag of all trilogy discs at one point this year and left extremely disappointed. I don't remember my exact bag, but the only two molds I liked at all were the defender and the warden and I still had issues with those. It was impossible to find a premium plastic warden and the defender lost most of its stability within a couple weeks. I couldn't believe how inconsistent the molds were and how quick their flights changed with limited use. I will not be trying anything from the trilogy line up any time soon again.

deflector was absolutely horrid and worthless and you can see it attracts a certain type of people who bag it

I tried to put together a bag of all trilogy discs at one point this year and left extremely disappointed. I don't remember my exact bag, but the only two molds I liked at all were the defender and the warden and I still had issues with those. It was impossible to find a premium plastic warden and the defender lost most of its stability within a couple weeks. I couldn't believe how inconsistent the molds were and how quick their flights changed with limited use. I will not be trying anything from the trilogy line up any time soon again.

Yeah, Trilogy discs definitely have some issues with stability consistency. They're all over the place. I agree the plastic also seems to wear out quickly and the disc changes flight. Almost like DX or pro plastic. I like durable plastic. I don't want the discs in my bag changing flight randomly.

My bag is almost entirely Discraft and Innova. Only trilogy disc I have in there is a EMac Truth. I throw a lot of their other drivers around in the field, but none of them seem to ever make the bag.

Going to go with the Champion Shryke. 1 out of 10 throws would be incredible. Most of the time it was just too touchy. Would flip if I powered into it & would hyzer out if I backed off. It's a better version of the Tern but the rim is still too wide for my BH and it's too shallow for my FH. Most people seem to like them but I'd rather use a Pro Wraith for max distance any time.

The Shryke definitely isn't as easy to throw as it would seem. Took me a while to really get a feel for this mold. If you try to hyzerflip a Shryke with a slightly underpowered throw you seem to get nothing but a worthless hyzer stall. Obviously if you get too assertive on a flat shot the disc will flip. Its also useless in any sort of headwind condition.

I usually only use the Shryke on fairly open holes where it has a chance to really flex out without going out of bounds. Thrown properly I still haven't found a longer disc than the Shryke. I will readily agree it is touchy. I still occasionally get bad throws with the Shryke when I don't get the release angle right.

Innova Katana.

Can be really good, or really bad. Katanas are seriously the most inconsistent mold I've ever seen. I've found quite a few Katanas at courses over the years, but never bagged any of them. A good Katana will absolutely bomb, but you never really know what you're getting with one of them until you actually throw it.

Any flat Katana will probably be an overstable, glideless turd.

i cant say what i want to otherwise i risk being banned lolol

Haha good morning sunshine!

By process of elimination I gotta say the Insanity I expected a worn in inertia flight so I bought a bit heavier, it's a flat top and just not as workable at my power level as I was lead to believe.. It has potential and as it breaks in it will be good or as I improve. I had way better luck with the Vanish. Insanity is a cool gold color which looked good online but in reality is about the same colour as dead grass.

I really haven't bought many discs that weren't backups lately. It didn't however fail spectacularly just doesn't fit right now. I gotta Mike C resistor too that I haven't tried, the shirt off one and it's signed probably way beyond my power level but hey gotta throw something and it was a trade to hook a brother up with my old tooling Anode. I'm completely satisfied even if it becomes a wall hanger.

Last edited:
I was so tempted to talk about one of the popular Innova molds, because frankly there are some that I don't particularly like. But, to be honest, there are worse ones.

My putters, both for putting and throwing, tend to be very stiff - G9i Wizards, Hard Shields and Harps, and the like. But, I try out lots of discs, and for kicks I got a Discraft X Soft APX. Boy do I hate that thing! I don't want to even hold it. It's shape is so weird that I might as well be trying to putt with a squirming kitten. I can just never get a comfortable grasp of it.

Twmccoy, help me to love the APX! :p

CD3. It's a wraith clone. But the new embossed wraiths are better workhorses and the old flat wraiths are better for wind duty.

I think it would be a lot better once worn in but it's not going to kick anything out of my bag at this point. It's honestly a little too stable when fresh to be a more workable wraith. They just kind of missed on this one I think. A tern would probably be a better choice for the slot.

Was underwhelmed by the Wave. It just doesn't have the glide a disc that finniky should have IMO.

Haha good morning sunshine!

By process of elimination I gotta say the Insanity I expected a worn in inertia flight so I bought a bit heavier, it's a flat top and just not as workable at my power level as I was lead to believe.. It has potential and as it breaks in it will be good or as I improve. I had way better luck with the Vanish. Insanity is a cool gold color which looked good online but in reality is about the same colour as dead grass.

I really haven't bought many discs that weren't backups lately. It didn't however fail spectacularly just doesn't fit right now. I gotta Mike C resistor too that I haven't tried, the shirt off one and it's signed probably way beyond my power level but hey gotta throw something and it was a trade to hook a brother up with my old tooling Anode. I'm completely satisfied even if it becomes a wall hanger.

im not in love with the insanity when its new

once its "seasoned" they lock and laser

i honestly prefer to buy insanity used and seasoned

For me it was the kastaplast Stal. I really like kastaplast's plastic, and picked up a first and second run. Both had a pretty big dome, which was the opposite of what I'm looking for in an OS 9 speed. I also found them to have more HSS than advertised.

TL3. Just didn't do what I expected.
Getaway. Way more overstable than I expected.
Stag. Way more turn than I expected.

The Shryke definitely isn't as easy to throw as it would seem. Took me a while to really get a feel for this mold. If you try to hyzerflip a Shryke with a slightly underpowered throw you seem to get nothing but a worthless hyzer stall. Obviously if you get too assertive on a flat shot the disc will flip. Its also useless in any sort of headwind condition.

I usually only use the Shryke on fairly open holes where it has a chance to really flex out without going out of bounds. Thrown properly I still haven't found a longer disc than the Shryke. I will readily agree it is touchy. I still occasionally get bad throws with the Shryke when I don't get the release angle right.

Downwind or L to R crossword, there is nothing longer, period. I've learned my color glow shrykes to the point of being really good with them. In a neutral to the above winds, these act like my destroyers with more carry.

Latest posts