• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Your LEAST favorite "new to you" disc you tried in the last 6 months

Can be really good, or really bad. Katanas are seriously the most inconsistent mold I've ever seen. I've found quite a few Katanas at courses over the years, but never bagged any of them. A good Katana will absolutely bomb, but you never really know what you're getting with one of them until you actually throw it.

Any flat Katana will probably be an overstable, glideless turd.

It was a domey glidey bomber then I threw it about 50 times and it was a speed 13 roller LOL, don't really need that. Nothing against the mold just not for me

I was really bummed by the deflector, and just about everything else I picked up by MVP Axiom....I don't understand what people see in the Envy...just bummed...

Everybody can hate on Trilogy, more for me.....

Deflector was super disappointing. Ummmm...yeah really haven't tried much plastic recently (aside from the Berg and Comet which both absolutely rock).

I was thinking Infinite Discs Myth at first. Got one from the VIP Club and just didn't click, but there isn't anything wrong with it, it just isn't a putter I like.

However, TDx is just a liar. I have two TDx's and they are both quite stable. I mean, will not flip over. Full power with about 375' of power behind it and it just rides straight as if it was a Thunderbird. It's definitely a usable disc and there's nothing inherently wrong with it, but it's certainly not Sidewinder understable as it's flight numbers would imply. So, for the dishonesty, TDx gets my vote.

Everyone loves trying new discs, even if only in the practice field. Some discs work out and make the bag. Some don't. Some discs fail spectacularly.

For every great disc experience there are other bad ones. What is everyone's least favorite disc they've thrown lately and why? Was the disc below or beyond your power level or did you simply not like it?

I guess mine would be the DD Renegade. Its a speed 11 driver with the flight numbers of a Wraith. Problem is, the thing flies more like a Daedalus or some other ridiculously understable disc. Horribly disappointing. I absolutely hated my entire experience with the Renegade. Easily the worst disc I've thrown in the last year. Honorable mention would be the UnLace. Too flippy to do anything with.

Why am I not surprised that you don't like the Renegade. ;) We've disagreed about the Renegade for some time. :popcorn:

As to the question, I'll couch my answer in terms of a disc I wanted to like but was ultimately disappointed. The DDx and the S-Line TD disappointed me, for sure, and I've come to learn to not expect Discmania discs to meet my hopes. :( The FD is the exception; FDs are awesome. :)<3

But my #1 disappointment that led to despising the disc was the DD Freedom. Hyped as easy distance with lots of glide, I found the Freedom to be non-glidey, relatively OS (compared to the hype), to not give me as much distance as many other high speed drivers, and to be very inconsistent in both flight and molding up. :mad::thmbdown:

I was so tempted to talk about one of the popular Innova molds, because frankly there are some that I don't particularly like. But, to be honest, there are worse ones.

My putters, both for putting and throwing, tend to be very stiff - G9i Wizards, Hard Shields and Harps, and the like. But, I try out lots of discs, and for kicks I got a Discraft X Soft APX. Boy do I hate that thing! I don't want to even hold it. It's shape is so weird that I might as well be trying to putt with a squirming kitten. I can just never get a comfortable grasp of it.

Twmccoy, help me to love the APX! :p

Don't know anything about the APX. Never seen or thrown one.

Was underwhelmed by the Wave. It just doesn't have the glide a disc that finniky should have IMO.

I've thrown a couple Waves and didn't like either of them. They're pretty flat and don't seem to glide well. They'd finish well short of where I expected.

As for the CD3, I didn't like that one either. REALLY beefy for me. Felt like throwing an XCal. No real glide or distance.

that's part of the problem, It really takes a lot to disappoint me. partially because I do a lot research..

but I have spent too much on destroyers and pd2's trying to find one that wasn't stupid os. I found a few and they made the bag but man did I burn some money!

I was so tempted to talk about one of the popular Innova molds, because frankly there are some that I don't particularly like. But, to be honest, there are worse ones.

My putters, both for putting and throwing, tend to be very stiff - G9i Wizards, Hard Shields and Harps, and the like. But, I try out lots of discs, and for kicks I got a Discraft X Soft APX. Boy do I hate that thing! I don't want to even hold it. It's shape is so weird that I might as well be trying to putt with a squirming kitten. I can just never get a comfortable grasp of it.

Twmccoy, help me to love the APX! :p

I'm not Twmccoy but I always liked how the APX flew. The soft APX flew nicely for me, but I did not like how soft it was. When the Jawbreaker APX came out, it was firm enough that I liked it a lot more. Yeah, it's not the normal putter shape, and that's a deal breaker for some, but I had no problems. I'd be using it all the time if I were Discraft-sponsored and if the Marshal disappeared in a Mandela-effect event...

For me it was the Rat and the Caiman.

The Rat was way more US than I was expected, and the Caiman was was more OS. I know the Caiman is supposed to be OS, but it just seemed to turn too quickly for me. The MD4 or a fresh Wasp seemed much more controllable.

The Rat is probably just too light (160s), but I won't try another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why am I not surprised that you don't like the Renegade. ;) We've disagreed about the Renegade for some time. :popcorn:

As to the question, I'll couch my answer in terms of a disc I wanted to like but was ultimately disappointed. The DDx and the S-Line TD disappointed me, for sure, and I've come to learn to not expect Discmania discs to meet my hopes. :( The FD is the exception; FDs are awesome. :)<3

But my #1 disappointment that led to despising the disc was the DD Freedom. Hyped as easy distance with lots of glide, I found the Freedom to be non-glidey, relatively OS (compared to the hype), to not give me as much distance as many other high speed drivers, and to be very inconsistent in both flight and molding up. :mad::thmbdown:

I've been hit or miss on Discmania. I like the PD and the DDX. DDX can be stubborn though. If you don't put enough arm on it the disc won't do anything. It has a dumpy fade and less glide than a Tern. I didn't like the CD3. Seemed very overstable and glideless. I wasn't able to do a whole lot with it. Not what I was expecting.

I don't like the Freedom either. Its simply too understable for being so fast. As soon as you get the thing up to speed it flips violently. The Freedom is probably the worst high speed understable disc I've ever tried. I've had better luck with the Nuke SS.

I'll get one mesmerizing throw with a Freedom (huge hyzerflip bomb) followed by 20 bad rollovers. The disc is simply not worth the hassle.

Last edited:
For me it was the Rat and the Caiman.

The Rat was way more US than I was expected, and the Caiman was was more OS. I know the Caiman is supposed to be OS, but it just seemed to turn too quickly for me. The MD4 or a fresh Wasp seemed much more controllable.

The Rat is probably just too light (160s), but I won't try another one.

I'm new and throw lhbh do you think the rat so US would be a good choice to me? that would mean it would go left for my lhbh right?

I got a Scythe that i think i'm not ready for yet. But i'm holding on to it till i am.

I'm new and throw lhbh do you think the rat so US would be a good choice to me? that would mean it would go left for my lhbh right?

I don't think the Rat is supposed to fly that way. I'd recommend a mid-range that's designed to be under-stable. I like the Comet right now, but there are tons out there.

As for going left first, my favorite thing to do is throw something more over-stable (Wasp, Roc, etc) on an anhyzer angle and let it come back to flat at the end.

I don't think the Rat is supposed to fly that way. I'd recommend a mid-range that's designed to be under-stable. I like the Comet right now, but there are tons out there.

As for going left first, my favorite thing to do is throw something more over-stable (Wasp, Roc, etc) on an anhyzer angle and let it come back to flat at the end.

thanks i got a couple rocs i'll try that still figuring stuff out and the left everything backward confuses me way more than it should

thanks i got a couple rocs i'll try that still figuring stuff out and the left everything backward confuses me way more than it should

Yeah, being LHBH makes it much harder, regardless of all the righties calling us cheaters... :)

Gateway Mystic

Saw one in beautiful Evolution plastic that I couldn't resist, was mistakenly thinking of the Element and thought it would be worth a shot. I am forehand dominant with a not-very-powerful, slightly nose-up backhand and can't throw anhyzers or discs that flip all the way over for me. This thing is useless.

Honorable mention goes to the Harp. Zone is a better forehand approach disc. So is the Gator. And the Mortar. And the Justice. And I'd rather just throw a normal stability putter with some hyzer for any backhand I would use the Harp for. Maybe if I beat it in it would be an amazing line holder, but I don't have a use for it that would beat it in. And an Envy already does that out of the box, if that's what someone wants.

Leo3. Less glide and turn than a Leo. Seems like it just drops out of the air. I generally like my fairways flat, but I don't think the 3 top on a leopard is for me.

Honorable mention: I tried my stag again, I threw it once and it was great, every throw after that was not. Just seems a bit touchy and has an odd feel to me. Not a BAD disc per day, but not to my taste.

Latest posts