• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Your Max Distance Driver

The Champion Tern is 12,6,-2,2, and it does turn over a bit less than the Star and EStar Terns (and probably the GStar Tern, which I don't own).

One has to remember that these flight numbers are not concrete, and are relative especially between manufacturers. Innova's numbers are pretty good across their discs, and Trilogy's are pretty good across their discs, but Innova's turn and fade numbers may not be exactly like Trilogy's, and so on.

I don't know your arm speed, so I don't know what you're getting out of your discs. I've found the TP Destiny and Star Tern to be generally similar in their turns and fades in similar conditions. The Destiny glides more, especially if I get a good rip on it with good form. Right now I'm bagging the Tern, as it's a bit more consistent for me and my grip, but that's just me. Others may get more varying results based upon their form, armspeed, and power.

:

Right, I understand. Tern might be too similar to my Destiny but I was just curious as it seems a lot of people like it. I'm at 300-330ft (the latter when I'm playing a couple times a week). So at those distances I thought a Tern might be appropriate. From reading other forums it sounds like the Champ Tern might not turn so much at lower power, but was wondering if Star or Gstar would be too similar to Destiny to try out. So that was where I was coming from

My wallet screams at me, but it's fun trying new discs. :) I'm starting to wind down and settle into my current bag, though. Maybe a couple more putters to try out... :thmbup :

Yeah, I think it's fun too. I do plan to buy a few more molds soon but then I expect to settle down also... (we'll see) :) But really, I played on Sunday and only threw three discs, for the most part (Zflx Heat, Proxy and Envy)....

For me it is a 166g Champ Tern. And it goes somewhere between 300-330 On just a flat release to hyzer. Not super great at angles or height control yet. I never throw my discs super high. I can't really carve distance lines. But 10-15 ft off the ground and just a flat glidey flight I can get it out to 300-330 with a fairly soft finish at the end.

Swapped my flippy Bolt for a beat in 172g Opto Flow.

Hyzerflip to straight/slight turn with fade, around 335'. Trying to slightly more of a punch so that I can get the fresh version of the disc to flip up on the same line and add some distance bit it's more stable than one would expect fresh...

A Fission Photon I picked up used. Gets about 330' or so on a good rip on flat ground. I have a Plasma Insanity that's pretty gets similar distance but is flippier.

OP here.

I read back through this a week ago, and listening to all the recommendations I bought a few new discs to try out. Also, determined to get more distance I bought the lightest one I could find in each mold...in the past I always wanted to go light, but inevitable bought in the 170-175g range.

Vibram Lace - Granite Medium 166g: I wanted lighter, but this was what they had. Cool disc, but doesn't replace anything I already have. I can get close to 350.

Innova Shryke - Star 155g: I already had a 175g Star Shryke, and it is too stable for me to get much over 325'. It's mostly a RHBH skip shot, or FH disc. This new 155g Shryke is too flippy...the first few throws were accidental rollers, so I'll probably play around with learning how to throw a roller now since that is what this disc wants to do haha.

Westside Destiny - Tournament 167g: I've only thrown it 5 times and love this disc already. Every throw went between 350' and 375', and a couple of them I didn't throw very cleanly. Wish I could have found a lighter one.

Innova Tern - Star 143g: Lightest disc I've had by far, and the longest too. Perfect stability for me. I can throw slight hyzer or flat with full power and get a nice turn then a gentle fade at the end....and the best part...I FINALLY HIT 400'!!

I haven't got to throw the new discs much, but feel like both the Tern and Destiny will be my go to distance drivers.

This is why DGCR is great. I was at 325'-350' expected max distance with a beat Star Destroyer when I started this thread earlier this year. I wish I had bought light discs sooner...I feel like such a dummy haha:doh:

Innova Tern - Star 143g: Lightest disc I've had by far, and the longest too. Perfect stability for me. I can throw slight hyzer or flat with full power and get a nice turn then a gentle fade at the end....and the best part...I FINALLY HIT 400'!!

Wow good for you!
Now you make me really eager to start working on my max distance again...

While I still carry some light Terns for Max distance, I've fallen in love with a grey swirl 168 Wave. I will throw it every once in a while on holes usually reserved for Terns. I have some personal bests with it this summer. I've been trying to find more, but the four I've gotten since are too US for me, as I'm not really good at Max distance from a hyzer release. If only I could find a stack of them.

While I still carry some light Terns for Max distance, I've fallen in love with a grey swirl 168 Wave. I will throw it every once in a while on holes usually reserved for Terns. I have some personal bests with it this summer. I've been trying to find more, but the four I've gotten since are too US for me, as I'm not really good at Max distance from a hyzer release. If only I could find a stack of them.

When the Wave first came out, I got three of them, at 153g, 163g, and 173g. The 163g has a higher PLH than the other two, and so was more overstable, which is a bit unfortunate as that is my 'sweet spot' weight. But the Wave was a good max distance disc.

Anyone tossing the Ballista for max distance? Found one recently and threw it some yesterday. Its as long as anything out there. Pretty neutral flight and great glide.

Yes, the Ballista flat out bombs for folks with less than pro level power. If you want to find a nice compliment to the Opto Ballista, try the Decodye Snowline version. It's a full tick more HSS and can handle more power without flipping.

My longest disc it a Frost Havoc. 375' is the absolute furthest I have ever thrown with it, but more consistently can get it 325' and 350'

Anyone tossing the Ballista for max distance? Found one recently and threw it some yesterday. Its as long as anything out there. Pretty neutral flight and great glide.

I had an Opto Ballista and I could get just as much distance out of my GStar Destroyers but with far greater control. My Star Tern (RIP) would beat both by 20' but was useless in any kind of wind. The Ballista I never really felt comfortable with especially when trying for max D as I couldn't hyzerflip it and I couldn't easily flex shot it. The rim of the Ballista is too wide for my >2.3 cm liking. The Destroyer has become one of a few discs that I really can get a good pull on consistently the only other ones being domey Champ Terns and Trespasses. I like to throw straight to fade lines for distance especially in the wind. My Star Tern was the first disc for me to break 400' with the Destroyer followed soon after, and now I own at least 10 of them and 2 Trespasses.

I figure I was getting the Ballista to about 425' fairly consistently yesterday. I had a 159g Blizz Boss that was keeping up with it too. Furthest throw I had of the day I think was with the Lace. Thing is too flippy to control consistently, but it will outdistance almost anything I've ever thrown.

Ballista is very relevant though. I'd equate it to a longer Surge. Same general stability.

Snow Line Ballista is my longest distance bomber.. I consider it a different disc than current stock runs in gold line or opto. Has much more stability to it. I've seen some MPO players throwing the snow line.. It has that tell tale dyemax scandanvia open stamp. I just bought a new one as a backup to the one I bag, but I lost it the first round I used it.. 30 bucks down the drain.

Latest posts