• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Your Max Distance Driver

I throw mostly the DDX in both C-line and S-line, along with swirly S-line and G-line PD2's. I use the PD2's for headwind distance, only busting out the S-line for heavy wind (it's crazy overstable). In ideal conditions I throw the DDX, which I average around 425' with. On a perfect rip I'll see 450' but that's where I max out.

In the past I threw Destroyers. G-star and Pro Destroyers were my bombers, and bagged a few Star's for stability. Still have a huge stack of them on my shelf. Switched to the DDX since they fly like a seasoned Destroyer out of the box for me. I always hated the worry of losing one of my precious seasoned Destroyers.

Thinking about trying out a Shryke this year, will probably pick up both a Star and Champ version. I really wish I could stretch my max D out to 500', but I don't think that will happen without a serious re-working of my form. No matter what little things I try, I can't get past 450'.

I don't have it anymore (these type of discs tend to disappear), but a 150g ESP Nuke was easily my longest disc when I had it. I'd give it a decent amount of hyzer, and some height, and let it flip over and glide. I'd prefer to have a tailwind, though. It was always hit or miss with no wind.

155g Starlite Tern is my longest hyzer disc, but only in a L-R tailwind. I don't consider it a glidey disc, though. It just has so little fade that it keeps getting distance as long as the nose is down.

These days, I'm just going to throw a 165g Quasar. Very slight hyzer, hope it comes back at some point.

I'll give the nod to light discs for this too, stuff like blizzard or air plastic. The discs aren't overly useful on a *flat* course.

ftfy

As a side note, I don't get why people throwing under ~360 would throw anything faster than a speed 10/11... with my 400 feet of power I often times don't power up my high speed drivers, I don't get why you wouldn't throw a slower disc that may end up 10 feet shorter but goes that distance every time. That's why my inertia is my go-to distance driver, even though it's a speed 10

Maybe under ~360 throwers have different results, but my faster stuff gives me more consistent distance. Especially when wind is a factor. My slower stuff goes just as far as my fast stuff every once in a while.

Distance isn't the reason to carry fast discs. Having a variety of flight characteristics in your bag is the reason to carry fast discs. Even on a course with a 200' max hole length, I carry a 13 speed disc for its unique flight.

Last edited:
Valkyrie about 400 RHBH. I've never worked on distance lines but feel I could really stretch it out if I did. Also I'll still throw a destroyer on holes about 360 cause it's so much easier to hit a hyzer line with one.

GrymX does all I need fine. Sometimes I think a Ballista or similar would be useful, but I love the consistency and predictably and have been happy to sacrifice a little distance. I am afraid I would use a disc like that too often when I don't actually need the little bump in distance.

I picked up a GStar Tern because of this thread. I took it out in a field and it lived up to the hype. I threw one 333 feet according to UDisc, which is the farthest I've ever measured a throw. It beat my best Pro Valkryrie throw by a good 15–20 feet. And it was going where I aimed it.

So thanks, everyone, for the rec!

At the 400' wall and can't break through yet with any consistency, S-Line DDX.

Last edited:
DDX, Katana, Octane. Always depends on the shot/conditions. On an open field, flat, no wind. I'd say probably the Katana.

Furthest throw was with a BOLT but its not very effective in real game play (super fast understable)

To me the Tern and Destiny have similar flight paths and stability, but the Destiny is faster and glides better. I can consistently toss a Destiny further.

I'm curious how flight of gstar and star tern might compare to a VIP Destiny? Not so much which goes farther but flight rating number comparison in those plastics, if possible.

~325' with a nicely seasoned QJLS

I finally got around to ordering another Thrasher though. That may get me another 20-25' or so.

I now have the newly-approved "Thor" from Viking Discs in this slot with pretty good results so far - it gets max D on a tighter flex line than the big, wide line I previously needed for my G* Boss to max out

Used to be a Gold Line Bolt out to 375+ but it got too squirly on me. Now its a Lucid Trespass out to about the same distance.

I'm curious how flight of gstar and star tern might compare to a VIP Destiny? Not so much which goes farther but flight rating number comparison in those plastics, if possible.

GStar and Star Tern are 12,6,-3,2 (some discs say 12,6,-4,2), while the Destiny is listed as 14,6,-2,3.

The Destiny probably isn't speed 14 "fast", especially to my noodle arm, but it does have every bit of glide its numbers say it does, and then some.

The Destiny may turn more than its number says while the Terns turn a bit less for me until they start getting flippy with seasoning in.

GStar and Star Tern are 12,6,-3,2 (some discs say 12,6,-4,2), while the Destiny is listed as 14,6,-2,3.

The Destiny probably isn't speed 14 "fast", especially to my noodle arm, but it does have every bit of glide its numbers say it does, and then some.

The Destiny may turn more than its number says while the Terns turn a bit less for me until they start getting flippy with seasoning in.

SD, that's exactly the type of info I was looking for. So then to press you further: would you maybe rate a Gstar or Star Tern at -2,2 while a Destiny at a -3,3? Or do you feel like they have similar turn then but the Terns have less fade?

I have a Destiny and was curious if a Tern might turn a bit less. But I don't think I have the arm for a champ from what it sounds like. The Destiny isn't 14 speed fast or difficult to my noodle arm either but, yes, it goes far.

You're a wealth of knowledge on discs.
Thank you!

SD, that's exactly the type of info I was looking for. So then to press you further: would you maybe rate a Gstar or Star Tern at -2,2 while a Destiny at a -3,3? Or do you feel like they have similar turn then but the Terns have less fade?

I have a Destiny and was curious if a Tern might turn a bit less. But I don't think I have the arm for a champ from what it sounds like. The Destiny isn't 14 speed fast or difficult to my noodle arm either but, yes, it goes far.

The Champion Tern is 12,6,-2,2, and it does turn over a bit less than the Star and EStar Terns (and probably the GStar Tern, which I don't own).

One has to remember that these flight numbers are not concrete, and are relative especially between manufacturers. Innova's numbers are pretty good across their discs, and Trilogy's are pretty good across their discs, but Innova's turn and fade numbers may not be exactly like Trilogy's, and so on.

I don't know your arm speed, so I don't know what you're getting out of your discs. I've found the TP Destiny and Star Tern to be generally similar in their turns and fades in similar conditions. The Destiny glides more, especially if I get a good rip on it with good form. Right now I'm bagging the Tern, as it's a bit more consistent for me and my grip, but that's just me. Others may get more varying results based upon their form, armspeed, and power.

You're a wealth of knowledge on discs.
Thank you!

My wallet screams at me, but it's fun trying new discs. :) I'm starting to wind down and settle into my current bag, though. Maybe a couple more putters to try out... :thmbup:

Right now I'm finding the Destiny and Shryke to be my 2 longest discs. Stupid, unreal long. Both have similar flights (somewhat understable) and glide better than just about anything else out right now. The Shryke to me flies like a Tern, but I'm getting another 30-40' out of it easily over the Tern.

To say I'm impressed with the performance of the Shryke would be a gross understatement. Its astonishing. Not a great disc for tight lines or windy conditions, but it thrives in calm conditions for open bombing.

I fully believe that anyone who's plateaued at 400' with discs like Destroyers or Bosses could get to 450' with the Shryke or Destiny.

Latest posts