• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Your Max Distance Driver

I can answer than with one word: Tern.

For anyone say 320 to 360, it's going to be their longest disc. I see no reason to throw a 10 or 11 when that 12 is sitting there, and it's my longest disc.

The Tern seems to sit at an inflection point for distance for that, and perhaps a slightly longer, power level. I throw a Tern farther than any other disc. I have gotten it up to just over 420 feet over level ground with no wind. I cannot throw faster discs any farther - I have tried a lot of them (although certainly not all of them). I cannot throw slower discs as far. I have tried plenty of slower discs. Beat-in Destroyers, Flows, Trespasses and a few others come close, but the Tern just seems to be the perfect distance disc for my power level.

The Tern seems to sit at an inflection point for distance for that, and perhaps a slightly longer, power level. I throw a Tern farther than any other disc. I have gotten it up to just over 420 feet over level ground with no wind. I cannot throw faster discs any farther - I have tried a lot of them (although certainly not all of them). I cannot throw slower discs as far. I have tried plenty of slower discs. Beat-in Destroyers, Flows, Trespasses and a few others come close, but the Tern just seems to be the perfect distance disc for my power level.
As I have witnessed.

I have a newer champ tern, and a couple of flows. It looks like the tern flies faster out of the hand, but the flow is just a little longer, and more predictable for me. I'll keep chucking the tern and see if it moves up the ladder for me.

167g Star Tern, 167g Champion Tern, or 169g TP Destiny

You ever have any real luck with the Shryke? Right now I'm getting that thing out further than Terns. Same general flight, but the Shryke is a hair faster and glides better.

167g Star Tern, 167g Champion Tern, or 169g TP Destiny

I know its a good bit faster, but hows that Destiny fly against the Terns? I grabbed a couple Freedoms as I've been told that they crush for even my power level and I still throw Terns farther. I got a, Lucid Air Freedom that even on a hyzer release turns and burns. Ive got a Lucid at 168 that is wildly inconsistent, but Im still learning the disc. I dont see it getting bagged though.

You ever have any real luck with the Shryke? Right now I'm getting that thing out further than Terns. Same general flight, but the Shryke is a hair faster and glides better.

I know its a good bit faster, but hows that Destiny fly against the Terns? I grabbed a couple Freedoms as I've been told that they crush for even my power level and I still throw Terns farther. I got a, Lucid Air Freedom that even on a hyzer release turns and burns. Ive got a Lucid at 168 that is wildly inconsistent, but Im still learning the disc. I dont see it getting bagged though.

I had problems with the Shryke, though it bombs in mild headwinds. My noodle arm gets the Tern to about the same distances and the Destiny a bit farther than the Shryke. I think I documented in the Shryke thread that I wasn't a good fit for it.

I also have Lucid Freedoms (I somehow ended up with two of them, one of them pink), and while they were a disappointment that did not live up to their hype, I can throw them fairly well as my form has gotten better.

But in the all-and-all, while the Destiny CAN get a bit better distance for me, the Tern fits better in the hand and I get about as much out of it as I'm going to get out of anything (legally and legitimately, that is).

To me the Tern and Destiny have similar flight paths and stability, but the Destiny is faster and glides better. I can consistently toss a Destiny further.

Freedoms are alluring, but squirly. I've yet to really get a lot out of them. Hard disc to find the proper line to maximize distance with.

So what disc do you reach for on a wide open hole with no wind?
How far do you expect to throw?
How are you throwing?

Disc for wide-open = Blizzard Destroyer
How far? = 350-375' *Sadness:(*
How are you throwing? = Backhand with a hyzer-flip.

All RHBH

No wind - nearly brand new Star Shryke between 390 and 420
Tail wind - more understable Star Shryke between 420 and 450
Head wind - Star Destroyers (different stabilities for different winds) usually around 375

To me the Tern and Destiny have similar flight paths and stability, but the Destiny is faster and glides better. I can consistently toss a Destiny further.

Freedoms are alluring, but squirly. I've yet to really get a lot out of them. Hard disc to find the proper line to maximize distance with.

What weight did you throw for Freedoms? I got, I think, a 168 lucid and a 159 air. The air is useless for me. The lucid im not sold on yet. I think in the heavy weights, 173+, these might fly more true, but Im not bothering with getting one. Not until I figure out of the 168 lucid has any worth for me.

If you can throw a Tern to 400', chances are you can also throw a Beast to 400'.

I have thrown a Champion Beast 400', but with such a pronounced turnover that I have to launch at a much more upward angle to give it room to turn and fade. I generally do not need to do this with a GStar or Champion Tern.

A disc with the same glide as a tern but with lower speed could go practically every bit as far, but more consistently. I'm not trying to say some "if, then" scenario or take anything away from the tern... I'm just saying that lower speed discs are more consistent than faster speed understable discs at slower arm speeds. A high-glide speed 10 could probably match a tern foot for foot if you're getting the tern out to 350 on a good pull, and it would hit that line better if there was any wind or if you weren't quite throwing 100% that day..
Regardless, my statement was not targeted against high speed drivers. I was saying how slower speed stuff can actually go almost as far as higher speed stuff, and it's a lot more consistent. I've thrown my inertia 420 feet over water before and had more confidence throwing it than I did in my catalyst... hence why I threw the inertia. For "big D" I'd much rather have say 415 ever time than 385 most times and 445 one out of 10 times.

Last edited:
I typically don't bag a ton of drivers. Typically I only bring a single driver with me for rounds, and the Tern is consistently the longest disc for me. Very easy to throw, always bombs ... if you consider 330-350 for bombs :p

Latest posts