• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your Putter

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I have good drivers and mids, but I have yet to find a "Putt and Approach" disc that I really like. I like the Banger and Soft Magnet, but they don't approach good for me over 40 ft. I have tried other putters that approach good, but are bad on the short putts ( like XD's). I can't say that I have tried a Wizard yet, and I see many of you guys talking about them.

What putter do you use and why do you use it? What does that putter do for you? I am hoping by reading some of these, I might be able to make a better putter decision. Thanks for your input.

What are the Banger and Soft Magnets doing for you outside of 40ft that you don't like?

I use my JK Pro Aviar for approaches w/in 100 ft and for putts that need to go around obstacles. I use a Gateway Magic for straight away putting. Straight as an arrow with very little fade.

roman said:
What are the Banger and Soft Magnets doing for you outside of 40ft that you don't like?

The Banger is too over stable and the Soft Magnet is had to predict. Sometimes over-stable, sometimes under-stable.

rromeo said:
I use my JK Pro Aviar for approaches w/in 100 ft and for putts that need to go around obstacles. I use a Gateway Magic for straight away putting. Straight as an arrow with very little fade.

I have a Magic, but it does not work well for me.

I don't know if you'll like this answer but...
find one that feels good in your hand and make it work. The discs you have tried approach just fine given the proper technique.

You can take either out to a field and practice throwing them on various lines. That's the best way to get familiar with a disc and it makes it much easier to place it exactly where you want it during play.

I prefer Wizards for these shots as well. The main attraction to Wizards is that you can get them out to 300 feet if you needed to and they will be able to handle the power. If you're talking about throws within 100 feet, almost any putter will work fine as long as you're familiar with its flight.

Well, I plan to get a Wizard and try it out. I see many people on this site who promote them.

marmoset said:
I don't know if you'll like this answer but...
find one that feels good in your hand and make it work. The discs you have tried approach just fine given the proper technique.

The Banger feels good in my hand and so does the Magent. I tried an APX but it didn't feel good in my hand. I do have a practice basket, so I guess I need to just practice some more putting.

I use my rhyno for approach shots and headwind putting. It's overstable but very predictable. I also like my wizards for anything 200' and in. The more snap you put on them the straighter they go. The warlock holds a really nice anhyzer approach line as well.

who says one has to do it all?

I have a glow wizard for straight shots/drives, a warlock for putting, a soft magnet for turnovers or whatever and a crystal challenger for driving when I need a fade. I have used a newer E wizard instead of the challenger, but this is a trial period.

I say use what works.

I use challengers for drives, ups and windy putting. STIFF Mags for putting and jump putting. Super Puppys for a lot of ups

Get a wizard, MNB. You're always asking for a disc that goes straight with no fade. The wizard is as close as it gets.

Beetard said:
Get a wizard, MNB. You're always asking for a disc that goes straight with no fade. The wizard is as close as it gets.

Once you beat it in for 3 years

My Wizards definitely had some fade to them when new. The one I use now has been in my bag for about 3 months and it's just starting to lose its fade with about 250ft of power on it. It only fades 3-4 feet if I throw it flat at that power. At lower power, it definitely has a good amount of fade and I like that. If I want something to go really straight I throw my putter (beadless Aviar).

Yeah, my glow wizards don't keep a hard fade for too long. A few months and it's dead straight with a reliable finish left, but not a hard one. If I accidentally put any anhyzer or OAT or it it's well right before it starts to come back (i.e. too far into OB to make it back to safety).

I lost my perfectly beat Wizard a couple weeks ago. :( :( :(
The E Warlock that was in the backup slot is now pulling primary duty and it seems to be working out pretty well. Really miss that Wiz though, need to get another beat in.

1.23 Omega SS -- Mainly the drive/approach putter. Pretty stiff for an SS.

1.24 Omega SS -- The main putter. Only comes out within 60-70'. Incredibly soft/floppy.

I like the SuperSofts because they just feel so good in my hand, and they seem to fly however I want them to.

A nicely beat in Pro Rhyno for general purpose putting
A newer Pro Rhyno for anhyzer putts and driving
And a Star Aviar that I am checking out for Jump Putting

Latest posts