• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your Winter DG Goals?........

djjeremiahj

Double Eagle Member
The leaves are falling, the wind is blowing and (for some) white is soon to fall....

Between now and April (ish) the DG season hibernates...
what are your goals for next Summer?

Mine:
Keep with the workout routine. Get stronger and push all the "discing down" discs 25' farther.* (Teebird/Eagle/TL: Up to 350'; Roc/Buzzz: Comfortable with 300' shots; Rhyno: 250' pin point accuracy.)
* Obviously, in kind pushing my distance drivers longer; find the course range of 375-425' with consistency and accuracy (backhand). Lock in my forehand to the same ranges.

For me, this is mainly a weight and strength training mission. I've experimented with tons of discs and the difference, for me, now is strength and (to a much lesser extent) form.

I just want to maintain. Last year, the last round I got in before the snow fell was the best round I played all year. This year, I have yet to play a better round, but some things have been better as I have been working on a lot, and my last round Saturday was solid.

I would like to keep those improvements going but not at the cost of screwing something up while not being able to get out in the snow.

I don't stop playing....though not much progress is made through the winter either, the conditions are just too different.

My goal is to re-fashion my throw into a consistent, fundamentally sound throw that is smooth, easy, repeatable and predictable.
I also plan to develop my off-hand throw (RHBH, I'm a lefty) and my LHFH.
I am currently 875-rated, but have thrown rounds as high as 950 and as low as 815. Consistency at a high level is my goal.

Last edited:
Winter

I hope to get out as much as possible, cold does not bother me but the wind, snow and ice might. I have a new DG league to look forward to next year so the founders of the league have a lot of off season work to do.

We have harsch winters here with under 0 degrees, but that wont keep me from playing ^^ I will mainly focus on putting though. God i suck at it.

In the winter, I play a lot of superclass rounds with my zephyrs, they are reallly good for forcing smooth throws and they never dive under the snow. Last winter I was able to get them out to about 230', so I would love to push them out to more like 250', and start working on my lefty throw with them.

We have harsch winters here with under 0 degrees, but that wont keep me from playing ^^ I will mainly focus on putting though. God i suck at it.

In the winter, I play a lot of superclass rounds with my zephyrs, they are reallly good for forcing smooth throws and they never dive under the snow. Last winter I was able to get them out to about 230', so I would love to push them out to more like 250', and start working on my lefty throw with them.

Great ideas. I normally have the basket in the garage through winter, getting me out of the elements and last winter, I did a lot of putting practice. Super class disc would definately be fun when I do get out; although the only thing that stopped me last year was snow up to my knees. Makes it really hard to walk.

I started playing this summer so this is my first winter playing. I worked on my driving all summer and now I think I'm going to get a basket for inside and just practice putting in between winter rounds.

Great ideas. I normally have the basket in the garage through winter, getting me out of the elements and last winter, I did a lot of putting practice. Super class disc would definately be fun when I do get out; although the only thing that stopped me last year was snow up to my knees. Makes it really hard to walk.

One of the great things about superclass discs is that you're never trying to put a lot of power into them, so a standstill throw is ideal. Takes the bad footing and snow up to your knees mostly out of play (while throwing anway, it's still a pain to walk through sometimes).

as soon as the snow starts to accumulate on the ground, my goal is to find a cross-beam sturdy enough to hang myself on

One of the great things about superclass discs is that you're never trying to put a lot of power into them, so a standstill throw is ideal. Takes the bad footing and snow up to your knees mostly out of play (while throwing anway, it's still a pain to walk through sometimes).

Makes me wonder if snow shoes work. Not winter boots, but the things that look like raquet ball raquest strapped to your feet.

I might get some to try just for laughs, but I might want to take the temp of my fiance and make sure shes not going to think I've completely lost it and have me taken away.

Makes me wonder if snow shoes work. Not winter boots, but the things that look like raquet ball raquest strapped to your feet.

I might get some to try just for laughs, but I might want to take the temp of my fiance and make sure shes not going to think I've completely lost it and have me taken away.

If you're going to do any kind of run up or x step, you'd probably break something in snowshoes, but if you're only doing standstill throws I could see it working pretty well. I thought about trying cross country skis last winter when there was 3' of snow on my local courses.

To feel complete confidence in fh approaches.
To get a decent platform of fh driving.
Become a putting MONSTER!!!

During the winter months, my disc golf activity usually plummets to near zero. Now that DST has passed, it's now dark when I get out of work so getting a round in usually doesn't happen during the week. :( That leaves me with the weekends which more times than not, I'm doing something with the family.

This winter is going to be different though. I'll likely hit up the glow league on Thursday nights whenever possible and now that I have a practice basket, I'll be practicing my putts at home. This is going to help my game dramatically as putting is the weakest part of my game.

So to the OP, my goal is to make some significant improvements to my putting game.

Putting, some resistance band routines, more putting, then after that - some more putting. I have the same daylight issues as above ^^, so I will have to putt in the yard with the floodlight on. Starting a glow league isn't a bad idea either!