• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your worst day.

On two separate occasions I dislocated my throwing shoulder playing disc golf...once on the course, once doing field work.
Two surgeries later, I only throw FH now.

I'm the exact opposite. Had bad shoulders from dislocations years ago in my younger days when I played football. I re-hurt the right one really bad at Lemon Lake almost 2 years ago trying to show off to others with my new found distance I was getting when I teed off FH on the very first tee without proper warming up of the arm and tried to really bomb the disc like I had been doing for a few weeks prior. Now I am exclusively RHBH unless throwing for a short distance to get out from underneath or around some crap I have buried myself in with a bad throw.

I'm the exact opposite. Had bad shoulders from dislocations years ago in my younger days when I played football. I re-hurt the right one really bad at Lemon Lake almost 2 years ago trying to show off to others with my new found distance I was getting when I teed off FH on the very first tee without proper warming up of the arm and tried to really bomb the disc like I had been doing for a few weeks prior. Now I am exclusively RHBH unless throwing for a short distance to get out from underneath or around some crap I have buried myself in with a bad throw.

Yeah, I hurt mine originally playing basketball.
My latest surgery was an open Bankhart revision that also included a rotator interval closure which limits my range of motion, so my FH is a weird Trex version of one. Better than not playing I guess.
I'm just way too scared to attempt BH anymore. It's not worth re-injury for a hobby.

I played the day after I had to put the best dog I've ever had down. Massive, uncontrollable man-sobbing is not conducive to shooting well, who would've thunk it?

Also pretty sure I left a disc behind that round.

I feel that, my best friend is buried beside the bottom of hole 14 at my place.. Took me a couple weeks with the new dog before I played that leg of my course just kept cutting around it.

Back to the round from hell.. We were playing a tournament on Cortes, it is bushy and not well travelled. We were playing in a group of five and this guy Corey shows up to play his first tournament. So right on don't want to be a snob, try not to let it bug me. He only owns one disc and has a habit of turning his back and cursing rather than watching where it goes. Completely messed the mojo of what should have been a great tourney round... we flipped disc after 9 holes and separated our group. After 9 holes with that bozo I just couldn't get back in the groove.

Yeah, I hurt mine originally playing basketball.
My latest surgery was an open Bankhart revision that also included a rotator interval closure which limits my range of motion, so my FH is a weird Trex version of one. Better than not playing I guess.
I'm just way too scared to attempt BH anymore. It's not worth re-injury for a hobby.

That's why I stick to strictly BH now Broken, like you do your FH. I'm even a little scared whenever I try to do just a short FH throw from under some branches or whatever because I am always looking out for that "loose feeling" in the shoulder. Like you I'd rather sacrifice about 30 feet off my max driving/throwing distance rather than have to give this addictive and totally enjoyable "sport" up. It's one of the last things I can still do. Sad I'll never throw a baseball again!

p.s sorry to have wandered so far off post topic. I have followed Broken Shoulder's travails on this site ever since I re-hurt my shoulder.

That's why I stick to strictly BH now Broken, like you do your FH. I'm even a little scared whenever I try to do just a short FH throw from under some branches or whatever because I am always looking out for that "loose feeling" in the shoulder. Like you I'd rather sacrifice about 30 feet off my max driving/throwing distance rather than have to give this addictive and totally enjoyable "sport" up. It's one of the last things I can still do. Sad I'll never throw a baseball again!

p.s sorry to have wandered so far off post topic. I have followed Broken Shoulder's travails on this site ever since I re-hurt my shoulder.

Totally agree. I'd rather play in some capacity than sit on the couch feeling sad about it. Gladly put my pride away and pitch out six feet than attempt something risky.

A couple years ago I played a round where I hit 15 trees off the tee (no mulligans) on an 18 hole course. Those weren't the only trees I hit that day just the ones from the tees.

Ive had a similar round but it was a mini, so hard to keep trying not to hit them after a while.

My worst was a solo practice round a couple of days before my first pdga tournament, was just trying to work on all my throws but I couldnt do anything right. I think it may have been trying way too hard and was nervous about the whole deal. It was a 200+ player tournament too. Anyway it got bad enough that I literally just packed my bag up and left with just a couple of holes to go. First and only time I quit a round. Didnt play again till the first round of the tournament, which started horrible as well but willed myself to keep playing and actually made the final 9 and placed in 2nd. Still my proudest finish just because I had relinquished that I wasnt going to do well that weekend after that practice round.

I once took a 5-stroke lead into the 4th round on my home course. Not only did I lose it---I lost by 8 strokes, and finished completely out of the cash.

I once lost 3 discs on the first 6 holes. I was on pace to finish with a really light bag.

I have an injury story, too, except that the time, I was playing pretty well, and thought it just hurt a lot. Ended up costing me one surgery, and the loss of the bulk of 2 years. But it probably doesn't count, since it didn't seem like a "worst day" as it was happening.

Some days simply suck throwing discs. Be it on the course or in the field. It can be weather related (cold, rain, wind), or your body simply isn't feeling it. I'll have days where I know after 10 throws it simply isn't going to happen. Bad grip, no wrist snap, the run up doesn't work, whatever. If any one aspect of your throw is off it can ruin the entire effort.

The best thing to do is tough it out, let your body recover physically and mentally, and then go do it again as soon as possible.

Last edited:
We all have those rounds where you play that hole and hit a tree on every. single. damn. throw. When it happens as it so often does, I just continue to throw and think about my next throw. It's just disc golf.

Probably the time I lost 3 discs during one round... that was special.

I recently lost two discs off one hole. Hole one in fact. They were my first two throws of the day. One landed on the roof of a house that was way right of the fairway. Seriously out of bounds. My next throw landed in a canal/moat that was to the left. Way left. I thought about giving it up after that experience. But what would you be if you didn't try. You have to try, right?

10/23/16. ECO Tour Championship R1. Already nursing a sore shoulder, I strong armed a drive on the back 9, felt like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket. Pushed on like a dummy because I was trying to hold onto my Top 3 position in the points (trophy, bonus, etc.) R2 my arm was like a wet noodle, managed a mediocre round, but fell out of the Top 3, first no-cash of the year and a winter hiatus. First event back in 2017 I tear a meniscus and here I am recovering from a knee scope. Hoping 2018 is an injury free year.

We all have those rounds where you play that hole and hit a tree on every. single. damn. throw. When it happens as it so often does, I just continue to throw and think about my next throw. It's just disc golf.

I had that round at Leigh Farm Park in Durham, NC a few years back. It was hole 4, a 637' par 5 that starts with an elevated tee shot down into a tunnel in the woods. I hit trees with my first 7 shots until I was reduced to cursing and just picked up the disc and moved on.

The trick is recognizing early on that the only lines you're hitting are headed straight for trees. Then you you can focus on seasoning your new, OS stuff, rather than throwing your go to discs that are already perfectly seasoned to that sweet spot.

There are no bad rounds... only opportunity. ;)

Last edited:
I had that round at Leigh Farm Park in Durham, NC a few years back. It was hole 4, a 637' par 5 that starts with an elevated tee shot down into a tunnel in the woods. I hit trees with my first 7 shots until I was reduced to cursing and just picked up the disc and moved on.

That hole is stupid, the only thing making it justifiable as a par 5 is the utter lack of a real line to shape. I remember playing it and thinking it could be a par 6 and still be tough to par.

That hole is stupid, the only thing making it justifiable as a par 5 is the utter lack of a real line to shape. I remember playing it and thinking it could be a par 6 and still be tough to par.

Funny you mention Par 6, the tee sign used to say it was a par 6. You are right about there not being a good line.

That property has some potential but mediocre design. then losing a bunch of land for the apartments , and complete lack of maintenance make it my least favorite course in the area. I don't even go there anymore.

We used to give it a chance a couple times a year thinking "maybe someone finally cut the grass". Since no one ever did, we just quit going.

Funny you mention Par 6, the tee sign used to say it was a par 6. You are right about there not being a good line.

That property has some potential but mediocre design. then losing a bunch of land for the apartments , and complete lack of maintenance make it my least favorite course in the area. I don't even go there anymore.

We used to give it a chance a couple times a year thinking "maybe someone finally cut the grass". Since no one ever did, we just quit going.

So I was right about that (couldn't remember if it was a par six or I thought it should be), I remembered something about a par six, which I had never seen before. I couldn't see why the designers justified the lack of a playable line by assigning a par 6 to a 600 some odd foot hole. Is there any other par 6 in disc or ball golf? This was the only time I had seen it ever.

- There was that day that I thought I could play above my capability
- There was that day I went out and expected to shoot ___ strokes below par
- There was that day that I went out and expected to play better than yesterday

Turns out all these "bad" days of disc golf were really due to lofty expectations, not bad golf. Go figure...

I did have 1 very negative experience on the course, but that was due to the people I was playing with, not the course, the discs, or my game. It was all mental...