• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

After the huge heartbreaker at Worlds, Ricky plays inspired golf and beats Paul and Will for his first USDGC.

i would love to see lizotte hyzer bomb everything and win. his time is coming. also i think it would be cool if barsby or mj won. or mccray for sure. or maybe ill win, who knows.

I would put my money on Nolan.

I'd like to see, in no particular order; Will, Uli, Simon, Feldy, Brinster, John E, Ricky or Rico take it.

I don't want to take anything away from Steve Brinster. He seems like an awesome guy, and he played well last year. But Will fell apart. Barry had a few bad holes that cost him. Doss didn't play to his best level. Rico faltered.

There are athletes in every sport, that if they are playing their very best, they are unstoppable. We've seen that from Paul McBeth, and Climo before him. Ricky has that sort of game as well. He's scary good when everything is clicking.

I think you would agree that Brinster, although a great disc golfer, is not at the same level.

Having said that, it would be sweet to have him shut me up and win back to back.

Holding your game together is an integral part of tournament play. Paul had some hiccoughs at worlds this year, but Uli had a rough round in there, Ricky had a couple unfortunate OB shots that allowed Paul to catch up, and then he had that tree hit to lose the tournament. Yet Paul's worlds victory is looked at with wonder and awe. I don't think Brinster's USDGC victory is worth any less than that. At the end of the tournament, he played the most consistent golf of anybody and therefore deserved to win.

just pointing out the motivation for the comment. ill be happy for him if he does well but, personally i dont need to see someone on the pro level throwing mvp to make me feel valid in my disc selection, nor did i need it back when i was throwing ABC.

just pointing out the motivation for the comment. ill be happy for him if he does well but, personally i dont need to see someone on the pro level throwing mvp to make me feel valid in my disc selection, nor did i need it back when i was throwing ABC.

Gotcha, that's cool... seems like sh-tting on Mike C is the new "they'll never have an overstable or understable disc" and that's how I mistook your comment. My apologies.

I believe it was Paul McBeth who said "what pros throw MVP" as if it was suppose to be some kind of burn lol. ****ting on MVP in the tournament world in general has always been the they will never have a OS/US flying disc :\

Really hope Mike does some work out there!!! He does live near the course now, no?

I believe it was Paul McBeth who said "what pros throw MVP" as if it was suppose to be some kind of burn lol. ****ting on MVP in the tournament world in general has always been the they will never have a OS/US flying disc :\

Really hope Mike does some work out there!!! He does live near the course now, no?

The course at Winthrop requires a lot more than a bunch of hyzer flips.

Okay, for real though. If Mike C is as awesome as he makes himself seem on the youtube, then he should have been playing on tour a long time ago. Or at least have some noteable victories. Playing on your own is quite a bit different than in a tourney. I can have a day on my home course and shoot 9 down. And then during leagues, or a tourney when it matters, struggle to stay even.

I also prefer to play with my shirt on. But I'm pasty and burn easily.

cuz enjoying disc golf, possibly being good at it, only happens On Tour? Sadly there are idiots everywhere just having fun playing disc golf, and not contributing to The Tour or worshipping The Pros.

Okay, for real though. If Mike C is as awesome as he makes himself seem on the youtube, then he should have been playing on tour a long time ago. Or at least have some noteable victories. Playing on your own is quite a bit different than in a tourney. I can have a day on my home course and shoot 9 down. And then during leagues, or a tourney when it matters, struggle to stay even.

I also prefer to play with my shirt on. But I'm pasty and burn easily.

He's done well to build a brand for himself outside of formal competition. Can't really fault him for that. But at best, he'll probably be a mid-level pro. Since his brand was not built on competitive success, tournament play ends up being a supplement to his overall brand. Guys like McBeth, Schusterick, Wysocki, etc need to win to keep their marketing relevance.

Oh yeah, this is still a USDGC thread...

I'm trying to decide if I want to get in a day early to watch qualifying or just wait until Tuesday when I can get on the course.

I am guessing there will be live coverage? Who is going to do said Coverage?

I did not get to catch much live but, I could not wait to get home and start watching/sifting thru hours of DG from the broadcast every night or the next morning. I did get to see the last day live though. Good stuff!

I am guessing there will be live coverage? Who is going to do said Coverage?

I did not get to catch much live but, I could not wait to get home and start watching/sifting thru hours of DG from the broadcast every night or the next morning. I did get to see the last day live though. Good stuff!

It's on DGPlanet's schedule, both as a live broadcast and for Beach Sports Network.

Just because he only won because better players had bad weeks (not because he's a hell of a player who's been crushing the East coast for years) :rolleyes:, I'm going for back to back Brinster victories.

Just because he only won because better players had bad weeks (not because he's a hell of a player who's been crushing the East coast for years) :rolleyes:, I'm going for back to back Brinster victories.

With that spot on analysis, ESPN should hire him. :doh: