• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Memorial Championship presented by Discraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Within a few minutes there people who are questioning what I just posted. A clear link from PDGA, some reading comprehension would do you folks well.

"If a player is not present to throw when it is his or her turn, the scorekeeper shall allow 30 seconds. If the player has not thrown after the 30 seconds has elapsed, a score of par plus four is to be entered for that hole. This procedure continues on any subsequent holes for which a player is absent. No holes shall be replayed."

Tell me where I am wrong. Paul McBeth absent at his turn of throwing after a 30 second count down. Par + 4. Clear as day, and yes you can call a penalty on yourself. But apparently you lot know everything
That rule is for the beginning of the round, just like your link says.
Reading comprehension for sure... lol

thats really interesting. Not many people bag a monster anymore...I have one for forehand upshots but literally cant think of one other person i know that throws them

Love them BH and FH but not thumbers (I personally use a Trident for those). Mine is an old pearly one. I wonder what the newer runs are like (apparently good enough for Paul McBeth)

Within a few minutes there people who are questioning what I just posted. A clear link from PDGA, some reading comprehension would do you folks well.

"If a player is not present to throw when it is his or her turn, the scorekeeper shall allow 30 seconds. If the player has not thrown after the 30 seconds has elapsed, a score of par plus four is to be entered for that hole. This procedure continues on any subsequent holes for which a player is absent. No holes shall be replayed."

Tell me where I am wrong. Paul McBeth absent at his turn of throwing after a 30 second count down. Par + 4. Clear as day, and yes you can call a penalty on yourself. But apparently you lot know everything

You're wrong. There.

You've only quoted part of the rule. That paragraph is part of the rule for start of play for both Shotgun Starts 1.5B(1) and Staggered Starts 1.5B(2). The paragraph doesn't stand on its own as a rule.

You just need to look inward and actually understand the rules. Your may be able to read(congrats) but you definitely do not know how to comprehend.

The rule you are quoting is for the start of the round. Not sure what part about that you don't understand.

Subsequent is in reference to missing additional holes in sequence after the first one is missed at the start of play.

If a player is not present to throw when it is his or her turn, the scorekeeper shall allow 30 seconds. If the player has not thrown by then, a score of par plus four is to be entered for that hole. This procedure continues on any subsequent tee offs for which a player is absent. No holes shall be replayed

What part of "this procedure continues on any subsequent tee offs for which a player is absent" does your small mind not understand?

I'll just note that the answer is right there in the URL you pasted into your post (which incidentally is the name of the section of the book you are quoting from)..."beginning play". The procedure continues if the player is absent not just for the first hole, but for the second hole, and the third hole, and so on. Continues implies that the procedure had to have been followed at least once already. Since the group was on hole 16 at the time, it's pretty safe to say no one was late at the start of the round and the procedure hadn't been used there, thus it can't "continue" on subsequent holes.

I have never, in my 18+ years of tournament play, felt obligated to inform or ask permission of my group to use the restroom. This isn't school. This isn't prison. When you gotta go, and you're passing a restroom, you go. The notion that because he didn't announce to the group that he was running in to take a leak, he's deserving of penalties, is ridiculous. A little common sense, or you know, actually asking "where'd Paul go?" when he wasn't there with the rest of the group would have given everyone the answer (I mean, someone in the gallery/entourage had to have seen him duck into the restaurant...his caddy, perhaps?) without immediately starting to count out 30 seconds.

Subsequent is in reference to missing additional holes in sequence after the first one is missed at the start of play.

The language is ambiguous. You know what it means, most of us know what it means, but just purely based on the language you could make a low percentage argument to the contrary. This should be worded differently.

Was John E (Patrick Brown's "favorite player") possibly wearing earbuds when Paul Pantalones announced he was using the urinal?

Did you watchers catch P.McP adjusting himself on hole 1? Those pants seemed a little tight. I think he stopped when he realized he was being filmed.:doh: Maybe he had been needin' a potty break since hole 1.

What part of "this procedure continues on any subsequent tee offs for which a player is absent" does your small mind not understand?

The part where "subsequent" means you have to be absent at the start of the round FIRST in order for par plus 4 to apply to future holes where you are still absent. Doh.

The language is ambiguous. You know what it means, most of us know what it means, but just purely based on the language you could make a low percentage argument to the contrary. This should be worded differently.
I agree it would be ambiguous if it were not in the section called Beginning Play.

Paul Pantalones

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

But he never called an infraction! Just made a huge scene for no reason!

I felt he tried to, he wanted a stroke, and couldn't get it. As he said, "I didn't get a warning at worlds in 2006," implying he was stroked. He was interested in getting a stroke on McBeth. I don't remember who, but someone already said, John didn't understand the rules. He had an outcome in mind, and tried to get that, and when it didn't pan out, he pouted a bit, then Paul stepped up and made his drive.

No the language is not ambiguous, when NOT quoted out of context. So here is the Context (all emphasis is mine):
1.5 Practice Rounds and Beginning Play
Last updated: Monday, August 10, 2015 - 15:18
A player is responsible for scheduling their practice rounds prior to the event. Availability of the course and its tournament set-up for practice rounds may vary (see Tour Standards for details). The course or courses are closed to practice during the tournament and all other times designated by the Tournament Director.

Two types of starts will be used to begin competitive play:

Shotgun Starts (rounds where several groups start simultaneously): At a scheduled time, scorecard(s) shall be distributed to the players at Tournament Central. After the cards have been distributed, groups shall be given adequate time to reach their assigned teeing areas. A loud noisemaker, such as an air horn, shall be used to indicate that there are two minutes remaining until tee off. This signal shall be a series of two short blasts. At this time, players are to end practice and all practice shots and move promptly to their teeing areas. A throw by a player between the two minute signal and the start of the round shall receive a warning if observed by two or more players or an official. After being warned, subsequent throws by the player during this period, if observed by two or more players or an official, shall result in one penalty throw added to the player's score, regardless of the number of throws. An extended blast of the noisemaker begins the round and signals the scorekeepers to call the throwing orders.

If a player is not present to throw when it is his or her turn, the scorekeeper shall allow 30 seconds. If the player has not thrown after the 30 seconds has elapsed, a score of par plus four is to be entered for that hole. This procedure continues on any subsequent holes for which a player is absent. No holes shall be replayed. If a complete round is missed, or if a player does not finish a round, the player may, at the discretion of the Tournament Director, be disqualified.

Staggered Starts or Tee Times (rounds where groups start one after another on a certain hole): The player shall start at the time announced by the Tournament Director. Players may practice until their group prepares to tee off provided their practice does not distract players on the course. If a player is not present to throw when it is his or her turn, the scorekeeper shall allow 30 seconds. If the player has not thrown by then, a score of par plus four is to be entered for that hole. This procedure continues on any subsequent tee offs for which a player is absent. No holes shall be replayed. If a complete round is missed, or if a player does not finish a round, the player may, at the discretion of the Tournament Director, be disqualified.

It is the sole responsibility of the player to be at the course, ready to play in time for the start of their round.

It is indeed ambiguous even in the correct context. It is but one poorly written rule inside of a poorly written rulebook.

The Procedure said:
If a player is not present to throw when it is his or her turn, the scorekeeper shall allow 30 seconds. If the player has not thrown by then, a score of par plus four is to be entered for that hole.
This procedure continues on any subsequent tee offs for which a player is absent.

SOOOO, if a player is absent on a tee off you must apply the procedure.

Please keep in mind I do not agree with this reading, but it is a valid reading of the rules.

You guys have got Skinny all wrong. What he is trying to say is that John thought the round had just started and he was on hole one. Paul was late for the round and hence, deserved a stroke, or would it have been a seven for a missed hole, or a lightning strike for playing in the rain?

For those who said we don't know, well we do, it was all there live. Now, we don't know that Paul said, "Gotta pee, gotta pee, gotta pee," while wriggling around in his McPants, but Terry tells us he did. Now Terry might have made that up off the cuff, in which I have to admire his skills as a commentator even more than I have in the past, but I see no real need to. Paul does have an obligation to tell his card mates, courtesy if nothing else, but the timing on John's part convinces me that he knew Paul was gone, he didn't even look. Why would he not look around for Paul unless he already knew what Paul was doing? Oh wait, I need to go pee, be right back....

in his post, JohnE asked anyone with something to say or an opinion to give about his actions, to say it to him -- directly -- that is, if you really have something worthwhile to say.

That's why I use my real name on any forum I'm on. I challenge anyone to call him or pm him personally and have that conversation. And if you have something to say to me have the stones to call me or pm me, too.

In general, there's no need to be a chicken and say to the internet what you won't say to the person himself/herself.

I agree it would be more clear if this:

"This procedure continues on any subsequent tee offs for which a player is absent."

were tweaked to say this:

"This procedure continues on subsequent tee offs if the player continues to be absent."

Usually I'm the first person to agree that the rules are poorly written. This however is not. You have to pretty effing dense to not understand thw word subsequent in the context of being absent at the start of a round. As soon as you are present for the first hole of the round and have made one throw, this rule is no longer in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts