• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] 2016 MVP CIRCUIT

Ok, so I am confused here. How in the hell did anyone get utility OS from the description given by MVP for the Circuit event? It was touted as being workabley over stable across a variety of power ranges. That certainly doesn't sound like a meathook to me. The Matrix is a great first OS disc for any beginner and a wonderful shot shaper for those of us with power. It is exactly as described by MVP. Smh.

Ok, so I am confused here. How in the hell did anyone get utility OS from the description given by MVP for the Circuit event? It was touted as being workabley over stable across a variety of power ranges. That certainly doesn't sound like a meathook to me. The Matrix is a great first OS disc for any beginner and a wonderful shot shaper for those of us with power. It is exactly as described by MVP. Smh.

MVP says this is the most OS mid they've made, but some players are disagreeing. That doesn't mean that it's not a sweet mold.

The Matrix is a new overstable midrange from MVP Disc Sports set to debut in the 2016 MVP Circuit Event Series. The Proton Matrix will match with an Electron Spin putter and Neutron Signal fairway driver for a unique and versatile three disc Player's Pack.

The Matrix is designed to resist turnover for all power levels and situations, and its stability is best described as a longer Axiom Envy. Matrix should have a long straight travel for most throwers, followed by a dependable fade. While this is not a "meathook" style overstable midrange, its utility is not to be underestimated. Release angles make all the difference with this type of midrange. Anhyzers can turn tight corners with minimal height and pan out to a flat landing — hyzers can ride precision arcs in any wind — and dead flat shots can gain distance while biting off at the end for easy ranging and placement.

The Matrix is based on an entirely new mold core, whereas all current MVP and Axiom Discs midranges share the same core. The Matrix has a 13mm rim, as do the Vector and Axis, but the slightly smaller diameter of 21.5cm is shared by the Tensor and Tangent 12mm Midrange class. This core's plate will be flatter with a slightly more shallow grip than the current midrange lineup.

The Matrix will debut May 29 in Proton with the first 2016 MVP Circuit events, and will be available exclusively through Circuit organizers until after the 2016 Circuit season. Visit MVPCircuit.com for details about the event, Player's Pack, and other Circuit models.

This is the fullest description that has been put out for the Matrix. If anyone's seeing contradictory info on an MVP web property, PM me and I'll take a look and see if it needs tweaking.

Infinite Discs says that its the most OS midrange. I thought I saw that on an MVP site, but it may have been from another poster. Thanks for clearing it up, Zam.

I think the "most OS" thing came from when we first heard about it and that it was an OS disc, and people just hoped for a meathook. But MVP's marketing statements for it specifically say it is not a meathook. I just got mine today from Infinite Discs and it is DEFINITELY not a meathook. It is exactly like a longer envy. This thing goes FAR when you power up on it. It's going to be interesting deciding whether I should use this or my Crave for certain shots.

The Matrix is designed to resist turnover for all power levels and situations, and its stability is best described as a longer Axiom Envy. Matrix should have a long straight travel for most throwers, followed by a dependable fade. While this is not a "meathook" style overstable midrange, its utility is not to be underestimated. Release angles make all the difference with this type of midrange. Anhyzers can turn tight corners with minimal height and pan out to a flat landing — hyzers can ride precision arcs in any wind — and dead flat shots can gain distance while biting off at the end for easy ranging and placement.

This is exactly right.

I'm not sure that it wasn't "us" that started speculating GYRO Gator when all we knew was a name, if even.

And yeah, this thing can threaten fairway drivers on D.

Last edited:
This is the fullest description that has been put out for the Matrix. If anyone's seeing contradictory info on an MVP web property, PM me and I'll take a look and see if it needs tweaking.

Matrix Midrange

Proton Plastic
•High durability for a long consistent life
•Designed to withstand the roughest conditions
•Transparent candy colors

13mm Rim Midrange Class
•Fast and smooth large-diameter midrange driver
•Responsive overstable flight for broad power spectrum

The most overstable GYRO™ midrange to date, designed from overwhelming demand by MVP fans.

http://www.mvpcircuit.com/2016-players-pack/

Directly from the player's pack page on the circuit site...

Infinite Discs says that its the most OS midrange. I thought I saw that on an MVP site, but it may have been from another poster. Thanks for clearing it up, Zam.
FWIW the earliest official description of Matrix came from the Circuit site, which said in a little micro-blurb that Matrix was the most overstable midrange from MVP. While that's true, it probably stirs up the wrong imaginary flights, so I just now changed that blurb to say it's the most turn-resistant and reliably-fading MVP mid.

Once the final run was molded up and I got more flight reports from HQ, I made a big deal in the marketing text of couching that expectation against a Gator/Drone. And nobody read it.

I could be crazy, but it seemed like there were two different behaviors from the Matrix. Some people, like myself, got a super overstable midrange that was difficult to throw straight. Others got a stable disc that reliably finished with strong fade. I did not poll people for weights, but mine was 175ish.

My Matrix was close to a Hornet. It seemed like some people got something more like a Vector.

For those who are a TD, when did you get your information to place your order and how much time was there between getting the information and needing to place the order?

For those who are a TD, when did you get your information to place your order and how much time was there between getting the information and needing to place the order?

The Registrant Confirmation email that TDs get soon after registering the event has links to the order form. Recommended order submission is 2 weeks or 10 business days prior to the event.

^ yep. I totally remembered that wrong too and kept waiting for an additional email with the forms. That's what I get for skimming emails.

Latest posts